Asian Senior Championships

37 minutes ago, LJB said:

So…

you don’t like wrestling?

By the extent of the standard you're implying, of course I do not.

Compared to the general public, I'm a super fan. Though that would be  inaccurate I think.  

11 hours ago, Cherkov said:

By the extent of the standard you're implying, of course I do not.

Compared to the general public, I'm a super fan. Though that would be  inaccurate I think.  

fair

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 3:48 PM, Mike Parrish said:

https://uww.org/article/asian-championships-entry-list

On the women's side:
* Fujinami is back at 53s.
Batkhuyagiin Khulan is replaced by Bat Ochir for MGL...
* No Susaki at 50s

Nothing surprising.   5 of their #1s aren't going.

-50kg- Susaki hasn't competed in an Asian Championships since 2017 where she won gold. 

-53kg- Fujinami just needed to get back to 53kg to qualify the weight for the Olympics.  I would like to think that Ochir would be fun to watch against Fujinami.  But seeing how Fujinami just dominated Ochir the last time they met, I think it'll end up going the same way.

-55kg- Kiyooka not competing because she's been dropping back down to 53kg as planned.  If she loses  at the Meiji Cup, she can still challenge for the 55kg spot in Belgrade.  Kataoka is Japan's #2 at 55kg, but is really their #3 since Shidochi also dropped back down last December.

-59kg- Risako has been dropping back down to 57kg as planned.  if she loses at the Meiji Cup, she can still challenge for the 59kg spot in Belgrade.  Sakano is their #1 at this weight now.  She's a full-time police officer.  I don't see how she can even train properly.

-62kg- Motoki not going and it's weird to even think that Ozaki(3x world champion last year, but lost to Motoki in the finals of the Emperor's Cup) is the #2.

-76kg- Moro, who just turned 18 isn't going and Japan's real #1(Kagami) is still recovering from a torn pec muscle she had prior to the Emperor's Cup last December.  So, their rep going is Nagashima, who is Japan's #3.

16 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Not good conversation - if you aren't interested in the topic, shut up, sit down, and get out of the way. 

Nobody wants to hear about those who aren't interested.

I was interested in the topic, just not in the way you care about. But you scoot on your butt as I understand. 

59 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Glad you were interested in the topic but not any of the matches. Cool story, thanks for posting.

Stay classy.

You classy? That's funny. But thank you for being interested in my comment and not any of the matches. But now you should sit down, shut up, stand up. and shut up.  

3 minutes ago, Cherkov said:

You classy? That's funny. But thank you for being interested in my comment and not any of the matches. But now you should sit down, shut up, stand up. and shut up.  

How about stand up, put your right hand in, your right hand out proceed to right hand in again to shake it about and turn yourself round. If you aren't interested in the matches of the OP, maybe do something hokey instead.

Better for you to be bored and thought dim than to actively post to prove it.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

How about stand up, put your right hand in, your right hand out proceed to right hand in again to shake it about and turn yourself round. If you aren't interested in the matches of the OP, maybe do something hokey instead.

Better for you to be bored and thought dim than to actively post to prove it.

No, I can comment once on whether I think any matches are exciting in a given year in a tournament. Since that offends you so much, great I'm happy about it:classic_biggrin:

• Fire 1

50kg- Yoshimoto(JPN) dominates China's rep in the quarters, then gets 2 pins in the semis and finals.  Showdown with Susaki next at the Meiji Cup in June.

53kg- Fujinami(JPN) teched her way through.  Showdown between Fujinami, Shidochi and Okuno coming at the Meiji Cup in June

55kg- Tokyo Olympic silver, Pang beats Kataoka(JPN) in the semis, then beats MGL in the finals.  Kataoka placed 3rd by beating UZB in the bronze match.

57kg- Nanjo(JPN) beats UZB in the finals.  Going to be interesting come June with Risako, Nanjo and Sakurai.  Especially because Risako and Nanjo were in the same room for a really long time and are good friends.

59kg- Sakano(JPN) beats China in the finals

62kg- The only real surprise on the womens side was that Tynybekova beat Ozaki 2-2 on criteria in the semis, then went on to win the tournament.  It'll be interesting to see how Ozaki performs at the Meiji Cup vs Motoki, Inagaki and Yukako Kawai.  

65kg- Long(CHN) beats Yoshitake(JPN) in the finals

68kg- Ishii(JPN) beats Nisha(IND) in the finals

72kg- Bakbergenova(KAZ) beats Niikura(JPN) in the finals

76kg- Nagashima(JPN) lost a really close match, 3-2 to Medet Kzy(KGZ) in the semis and then lost in the bronze match to Pryia(IND) in another close match, 2-1

Team standings:

Japan 205

China 149

India 143

48 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Fujinami...

There are going to be a lot of excellent matches at the Meiji Cup.  The reason why a lot of wrestlers also competed at non-Olympic weights at last December's Emperor's Cup is because if they lose in the upcoming Meiji Cup, they can still challenge at the non-Olympic weights if they won if the Emperor's Cup like:  Risako at 59kg, Kiyooka at 55kg.  None of the other world champions from 2021 and 2022 for the womens team competed at non-Olympic weights last December, so if they lose at Meiji, they're out for a year unless they can compete in U20/U23.

Japan's U23 team has mainly the women that haven't been able to make the senior team or made it once.  U23(Umi Ito, Tsugumi Sakurai and Yuka Inagaki the most notable), U20(Kiyooka with some others plus 2 high school students) and U17 national tournaments just happened a few weeks ago.

Japan did NOT have anybody competing at 68kg for U23, so I don't know if they're sending anybody for the U23 World championships.   Due to lack of depth at that weight, all eligible 68kg wrestlers are competing for the Olympic spot instead.

It's going to be amazing.  Especially 53kg.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

There are going to be a lot of excellent matches at the Meiji Cup.  The reason why a lot of wrestlers also competed at non-Olympic weights at last December's Emperor's Cup is because if they lose in the upcoming Meiji Cup, they can still challenge at the non-Olympic weights if they won if the Emperor's Cup like:  Risako at 59kg, Kiyooka at 55kg.  None of the other world champions from 2021 and 2022 for the womens team competed at non-Olympic weights last December, so if they lose at Meiji, they're out for a year unless they can compete in U20/U23.

Japan's U23 team has mainly the women that haven't been able to make the senior team or made it once.  U23(Umi Ito, Tsugumi Sakurai and Yuka Inagaki the most notable), U20(Kiyooka with some others plus 2 high school students) and U17 national tournaments just happened a few weeks ago.

Japan did NOT have anybody competing at 68kg for U23, so I don't know if they're sending anybody for the U23 World championships.   Due to lack of depth at that weight, all eligible 68kg wrestlers are competing for the Olympic spot instead.

It's going to be amazing.  Especially 53kg.

European championships are also shaping up to have some excellent women's brackets.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Why not Indiana? Do you have something against the Hoosier state?

Nope, just seems a random spot for a group of individuals discussing Iranian international wrestling to settle. Maybe there's a large population of Iranian's there? Or just the luck of the draw since themat closed the doors on us.