Helen Maroulis Movie in Theaters one night only Thursday 3/30

Was able to get the wife to see this with me.   We were the only ones in the theater. I feel like they didn't do a great job marketing this, I probably would've never heard about it if not for FRL.

Not bad though.  Does it count as spoilers if it's a documentary?

But anyway, I'm not sure if I realized the extent of her injury during the trials, which apparently occurred while wrestling RBY.

Outside of Helen of course, Mark Perry seemed to be considered somewhat of another hero of the film.  No badmouthing of NLWC of course (we did get a glimpse of some dodgeball practice), but lots of praise for Perry.  Also not sure if I was aware of the rich couple that seemingly funds Sunkist.

A forum poster's daughter even had a small speaking part.

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

i bought a ticket for this and then got a text that the kid was landing way earlier than i thought, so, i did not get a chance to see it...

i am super interested in the doc mainly because of my own hyper sensitivity of concussions coming from my own background in racing...

personally, i was horrified at how she was handled during this, but, i wanted to feel better about it...

i knew kids who were "training" with her at this time...

it felt irresponsible to me, but, i was not in the inner circle...

there was a time when i would argue with anyone that the best wrestler technically in this country was without a doubt maroulis...

8 hours ago, LJB said:

i bought a ticket for this and then got a text that the kid was landing way earlier than i thought, so, i did not get a chance to see it...

i am super interested in the doc mainly because of my own hyper sensitivity of concussions coming from my own background in racing...

personally, i was horrified at how she was handled during this, but, i wanted to feel better about it...

there was a time when i would argue with anyone that the best wrestler technically in this country was without a doubt maroulis...

They didn’t really go into much detail about the coaching/training situation that likely made the problem much worse…was mostly focused on the recovery

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, BaldAt23 said:

Horrible marketing, I heard theaters were basically completely empty 

Probably wasn't a bunch of money to throw around for publicity.  If FLO hadn't featured her there probably wouldn't have even been a thread. 

The only reason it got more than art theater release is because Chris Pratt produced it…

I was shocked at how many theaters actually screened it…

it was never made with intention to get near as much press as it got and that is perfectly ok…

Half of the typical major film budget is marketing…

a film like this falls into the category of let’s just get it made however we have to…

anyone whining about how they found out about it probably needs a reality check…

5 hours ago, LJB said:

The only reason it got more than art theater release is because Chris Pratt produced it…

I was shocked at how many theaters actually screened it…

it was never made with intention to get near as much press as it got and that is perfectly ok…

But if it barely sold any tickets it’s not going to give much motivation for future wrestling movies to actually make it to theaters (or maybe even for people to make them for that matter).

I’m not sure if even Pratt promoted it all that much either.  He tweeted about it 2 days prior to his 8 million followers, but that was his only tweet I saw.  I’m not even sure Flo mentioned it prior to the week of the opening, but at least they had Helen on and did talk about it.

Let’s be honest though.  Even many men’s wrestling fans don’t really care about women’s wrestling.  Some do of course, but the key demographic the movie was targeting was likely women/girl wrestlers, a relatively small group obviously.  So even with better marketing I’m not sure if it would have come close to filing up theaters.  I think it could have done better than selling 2 tickets in an entire theater though…

Edited by 1032004

it is a documentary about a niche within a niche...

it got made...

it got more promotion than several other niche sporting documentaries i have gone to art theaters for one a night showing...

this was put into legit theaters nation wide...

my guess is everyone involved with it is over the moon with the amount of attention it has received so far...

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

it is a documentary about a niche within a niche...

it got made...

it got more promotion than several other niche sporting documentaries i have gone to art theaters for one a night showing...

this was put into legit theaters nation wide...

my guess is everyone involved with it is over the moon with the amount of attention it has received so far...

By actually being in theaters it may get more attention now on streaming services.

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

By actually being in theaters it may get more attention now on streaming services.

i bet they are very pleased with everything that is going on with that film...

it will do quite well with streaming and online purchase...

2 hours ago, LJB said:

Gus Sorola Comedy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Of course all I have are anecdotes including my own experience, but I did a search on twitter and while those who saw the movie all gave positive feedback, nearly all the photos were of nearly (not even close to half) empty theaters.  The ones with the most people were where people brought most of their team (I don’t know if they did or not, but offering discounts to schools or something could have been a good marketing idea).

On 3/30/2023 at 11:32 PM, LJB said:

I got one right now because idiots don’t listen. Had too many in hs/college. My pity for coaches who don’t handle them correctly is zero

1 minute ago, Formally140 said:

I got one right now because idiots don’t listen. Had too many in hs/college. My pity for coaches who don’t handle them correctly is zero

a coach and i almost came to blows over this issue...

and by almost i mean we walked outside...

there was a shove...

nose to nose...

all that silliness...

all because i walked in and saw my kid practicing after getting a red card for a concussion...

trust me...

it would not have gone well for me, but, that was hardly a concern...

i am not sure how many concussions i have had, but, i need both hands to count the ones bad enough that it stopped my race weekend...

i have little doubt some of my issues stem from them...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

i am not sure how many concussions i have had, but, i need both hands to count the ones bad enough that it stopped my race weekend...

i have little doubt some of my issues stem from them...

Feel that. People ask how many I’ve had.. I’m always like ummm idk. Trained through a lot