Best ever at each weight class

Zahnarzt

2 minutes ago, neweruser69 said:

Not for nothing, but give me Freshman 141 Dake over Senior Steiber. 

That isn't the greatest matchup for logie bear. Dake was an absolute powerhouse at 141 with freakish athleticism. 

I recall vividly rooting for Reece Humphrey at the time too and wondering who the hell this true freshman was. Probably Dake's closest match at the NCAAs.

Honestly?  I probably am, too.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

Dustin Schlatter true freshman year at 149 stomped Burroughs like 3 times.

They were both true freshman and I wouldn't say stomped.  Their last meeting that season was at NCAAs, a 3-2 decision.  I think the series was 2-0 Schlatter their freshman year, 1-0 Schlatter their Sophomore year, and then Burroughs turned the tables in 2008 in the finals of the Kaufman-Brand Open 6-4 at 157.  

For the subject of this thread I wouldn't consider Burroughs as an option at 149, but I would at 157 or 165.  Schlatter would be an option at 149, but I think he is behind some guys there.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, neweruser69 said:

Not for nothing, but give me Freshman 141 Dake over Senior Steiber. 

That isn't the greatest matchup for logie bear. Dake was an absolute powerhouse at 141 with freakish athleticism. 

I recall vividly rooting for Reece Humphrey at the time too and wondering who the hell this true freshman was. Probably Dake's closest match at the NCAAs.

I had a similar a-ha moment regarding Dake.  Dake's dual debut at Cornell was at home against 4th ranked Maryland SR Alex Krom, who was coming off an NCAA 5th place finish the prior season.  I was aware of Krom from his HS days at Easton, but had never heard of Dake.  Watched the stream live. 

Dake was down, 3-2 and RT with just over a minute to go.  He escaped, locked Krom up in a bear hug and threw him to his back to win, 8-3.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5170197-dirty-dake

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I had a similar a-ha moment regarding Dake.  Dake's dual debut at Cornell was at home against 4th ranked Maryland SR Alex Krom, who was coming off an NCAA 5th place finish the prior season.  I was aware of Krom from his HS days at Easton, but had never heard of Dake.  Watched the stream live. 

Dake was down, 3-2 and RT with just over a minute to go.  He escaped, locked Krom up in a bear hug and threw him to his back to win, 8-3.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5170197-dirty-dake

I remember that video being so much clearer in 2009 lol, the times they are a changing.

Dake was/is just a freak. I can't really recall any other freshmen coming in as complete as he was. Maybe Schlatter, but in retrospect it all makes sense.

Haines actually gave me a kind of similar vibe this year coming in with as much physicality as he had. Too bad he had to wrestle his grandfather in the final and see true old man strength. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neweruser69 said:

I remember that video being so much clearer in 2009 lol, the times they are a changing.

Dake was/is just a freak. I can't really recall any other freshmen coming in as complete as he was. Maybe Schlatter, but in retrospect it all makes sense.

Haines actually gave me a kind of similar vibe this year coming in with as much physicality as he had. Too bad he had to wrestle his grandfather in the final and see true old man strength. 

Dake definitely kinda slid under the radar. He won it, but I don't think many people expected him to come back and win it again...and certainly not 3 more times. It didn't really hit me until his Soph year and the way he just dominated that field. 

IIRC, he gave up 1 point to Molinaro in the finals and that was it. In retrospect, I think he could have opened up more, but he was so dominant on top....it was just truly impressive. And I don't like watching a guy ride someone out for...what, 6 minutes, but it was impossible to not respect it. 

8 hours ago, neweruser69 said:

Perhaps my most controversial wrestling opinion.

125 - Nick Suriano @ Michigan was the best I've ever seen at the weight. Just so sound everywhere.

Other than his gas tank.  Nearly let Glory, who isn't well known for a gas tank, scratch and claw back in to the match.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, fishbane said:

They were both true freshman and I wouldn't say stomped.  Their last meeting that season was at NCAAs, a 3-2 decision.  I think the series was 2-0 Schlatter their freshman year, 1-0 Schlatter their Sophomore year, and then Burroughs turned the tables in 2008 in the finals of the Kaufman-Brand Open 6-4 at 157.  

For the subject of this thread I wouldn't consider Burroughs as an option at 149, but I would at 157 or 165.  Schlatter would be an option at 149, but I think he is behind some guys there.

Pretty sure they did not wrestle until DS was a soph and JB was still a freshman. The 3-2 match was the year DS finished 3rd and Gillespie won it. 

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

Remember when DS beat Zach Esposito twice his freshman season? The 2nd match was 11-2 I believe 

Schlatter’s freshman season was a thing of beauty. I think it’s up there as far as greatest freshman years ever. 

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, 11986 said:

Pretty sure they did not wrestle until DS was a soph and JB was still a freshman. The 3-2 match was the year DS finished 3rd and Gillespie won it. 

You are correct.  The main reason I replied was to point out that Burroughs won their last folkstyle meeting, which was Burroughs's junior year.  I think a lot of people forget about that match because Schlatter ended up redshirting that year.

• Fire 2