CALLING ALL WRESTLERS, IF YOU HAVE EVER WRESTLED AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL OR ABOVE! I NEED YOUR HELP!!

DANTE CASTO

I am creating a math assignment to calculate the success rate in other sports if a person has trained in wrestling. All I need is volunteers to fill out my google form! It would be greatly appreciated! It doesn't matter if you are 60 or 19 anyone who has wrestled in college or above can do it!
Here is the form! https://tinyurl.com/eahz9f5v
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!
Edited by BobDole
Fixed link

Those URL-Shorteners, like tinyurl.com, seemed like a great idea. Instead of some super-long URL that clutters up a post - it is shrunk to a small link that doesn't take up much space on the post. Which seems cool.

But - the downside - is that if the person providing the link isn't someone you trust, you don't know where it is ACTUALLY sending you. In other words, that tinyurl.com link above could send you to a web site that is prepared to infect your browser and PC. And you'd have no way to know.

Never trust any of the shortened-URL's if they aren't from someone you actually know and trust.

• I never heard of DANTE CASTO, especially with only 2 posts, so I wouldn't click that link for any reason.
  • The "PLEASE SHARE THIS POST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!" below the link is a red flag that the author wants to see it spread. Much like... hmmm.. a virus.
  • "Anyone who has wrestled in college or above" - another red flag. A strange description - doesn't seem like many wrestle 'above' without wrestling in college.
  • "Fixed link" edit by BobDole. Interesting that perhaps the first link didn't lead to the correct location? Red flag there, too.

So, is this bad? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't click the link due to the amount of evidence pointing to it being risky.

Then again, it could be BobDole's nephew who is new to wrestling and posting and accidentally made a sketchy looking post because he's new.

Doesn't matter to me - I'm not clicking it. On the internet, when it comes to safety, it is always best to assume the worst.

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Can you click again and give them another $200? Try it out and see.

I was disappointed there wasn't an opportunity to upload attachments because I was going to provide a photo of my social security card and two items that qualify as proof of current address

7 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I was disappointed there wasn't an opportunity to upload attachments because I was going to provide a photo of my social security card and two items that qualify as proof of current address

I bought a train ticket for my 2nd born child. Apparently, they need her, in-person, for confirmation.

Not sure why they asked about her blood type - ironically, it is B positive. So, I did.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Those URL-Shorteners, like tinyurl.com, seemed like a great idea. Instead of some super-long URL that clutters up a post - it is shrunk to a small link that doesn't take up much space on the post. Which seems cool.

But - the downside - is that if the person providing the link isn't someone you trust, you don't know where it is ACTUALLY sending you. In other words, that tinyurl.com link above could send you to a web site that is prepared to infect your browser and PC. And you'd have no way to know.

Never trust any of the shortened-URL's if they aren't from someone you actually know and trust.

• I never heard of DANTE CASTO, especially with only 2 posts, so I wouldn't click that link for any reason.
  • The "PLEASE SHARE THIS POST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!" below the link is a red flag that the author wants to see it spread. Much like... hmmm.. a virus.
  • "Anyone who has wrestled in college or above" - another red flag. A strange description - doesn't seem like many wrestle 'above' without wrestling in college.
  • "Fixed link" edit by BobDole. Interesting that perhaps the first link didn't lead to the correct location? Red flag there, too.

So, is this bad? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't click the link due to the amount of evidence pointing to it being risky.

Then again, it could be BobDole's nephew who is new to wrestling and posting and accidentally made a sketchy looking post because he's new.

Doesn't matter to me - I'm not clicking it. On the internet, when it comes to safety, it is always best to assume the worst.

I checked the link before approving the posts. The link in this post was to something on Facebook so I updated it to what appears to be the correct one on another post.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:50 PM, DANTE CASTO said:
I am creating a math assignment to calculate the success rate in other sports if a person has trained in wrestling. All I need is volunteers to fill out my google form! It would be greatly appreciated! It doesn't matter if you are 60 or 19 anyone who has wrestled in college or above can do it!
Here is the form! https://tinyurl.com/eahz9f5v
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!

Can't see how this is going to have any value or interesting math.  How many/what percent of athletes wrestle in college and participate in another sport?  You can't even do that at most D1 programs.   Is there any reason what they gain from wrestling in college is more valuable than what they gain from wrestling in high school?  I'd think you'd be more interested in looking at athletes that wrestled in high school and then had success at another sport in college.

32 minutes ago, ionel said:

Can't see how this is going to have any value or interesting math.  How many/what percent of athletes wrestle in college and participate in another sport?  You can't even do that at most D1 programs.   Is there any reason what they gain from wrestling in college is more valuable than what they gain from wrestling in high school?  I'd think you'd be more interested in looking at athletes that wrestled in high school and then had success at another sport in college.

I believe the person is wondering what other sports they participated in previous to college such as high school. Basically looking for multi-sport athletes from high school. The survey is interesting and not sure the questions were the best to generate useful data.

3 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I believe the person is wondering what other sports they participated in previous to college such as high school. Basically looking for multi-sport athletes from high school. The survey is interesting and not sure the questions were the best to generate useful data.

buy then why the anyone who has wrestled in college?  As I re-read it appears to suggest any who wrestled in college can complete the survey, but again why?  If trying to find high school wrestlers who succeeded in other sports, no reason to limit the input from only college wrestlers.   Also, you should take issue with the if you are 60 or 19 as you've demonstrate on these here boards you have valuable input on the sport even though you fall well outside that age range even though you are now ageless.  😉

39 minutes ago, ionel said:

buy then why the anyone who has wrestled in college?  As I re-read it appears to suggest any who wrestled in college can complete the survey, but again why?  If trying to find high school wrestlers who succeeded in other sports, no reason to limit the input from only college wrestlers.   Also, you should take issue with the if you are 60 or 19 as you've demonstrate on these here boards you have valuable input on the sport even though you fall well outside that age range even though you are now ageless.  😉

As of now we can only insinuate the data that the poster is trying to accomplish. I'd take a guess that he is trying to establish if elite wrestlers(college wrestlers = elite) participate in multiple sports more. Hopefully he comes back and sheds some light on his survey.

16 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Good point. A lot of those link shorteners have a preview feature so you can at least see what it is or where the link goes to before you click. Here's how to preview some popular shortened links:

For anything else, you can try one of these URL checkers to see if they are legit:

Credit to my wife for sharing this and keeping me from getting hacked.

• Fire 3

@CHROMEBIRD Great post!

If the link is desirable enough, it would be worth going through the extra gymnastics. For me, in this case, it isn't.

My philosophy is that a knowledgable poster should post a brief piece of text - then attach a hyperlink to that text with the full URL. That way, the link is brief on the post - yet any of us can hover over the link, we'll see the actual URL that it will be sending us to.

But - to each their own.

OK, curiosity got the better of me and I finally decided to take a closer look. 

BobDole has been duped - this is obviously NOT a math assignment. This is a data gathering effort by someone who should be considered VERY BAD.

Here are the questions. Decide for yourself. Ionel has already pointed out some of the problems, well done by Ionel.

• School You Wrestled or are currently Wrestling
  •  
  • amount of years/age started training in wrestling
  •  
  • Any accolades, achievements, notable records, important matches in wrestling (proof of success).
  • Include dates if possible.
  •  
  • List any other sports AND martial arts practiced besides wrestling.
  •  
  • If practiced other sports or martial arts, list accolades, accomplishments, proof of success in such sport.
  • Include dates if possible.
  •  
  • Do you believe training in wrestling has affected your performance in these other sports? If so elaborate with specific reasoning.
  •  
  • If Possible, please share this form to other people who have or are wrestling in college. 
  •  
  • The more data collected the better! Thank you for your contribution.

Personal aside -- looks like the ***duck duck goose** Russians agains.

• Haha 1

I don't know if it's a scam or a questionably designed school assignment, but if it's any consolation there's a label on the bottom of the form that says it came from a school. Not to assume that it wasn't hacked or scribbled in there by someone else.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I don't know if it's a scam or a questionably designed school assignment, but if it's any consolation there's a label on the bottom of the form that says it came from a school. Not to assume that it wasn't hacked or scribbled in there by someone else.

spacer.png

At the end of the day, it appears sketchy - no doubt about that. It could also be 100% legitimate - maybe just a coincidence that so many factors appear sketchy.

Either way, it's easily resolved. If you are seriously interested in participating, PM the OP to find out more. There's just enough doubt here that blind trust isn't in order.

6 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

At the end of the day, it appears sketchy - no doubt about that. It could also be 100% legitimate - maybe just a coincidence that so many factors appear sketchy.

Either way, it's easily resolved. If you are seriously interested in participating, PM the OP to find out more. There's just enough doubt here that blind trust isn't in order.

But even if legit its still a pretty worthless project given the constraints.  If wanting a "math assignment" prove that the normal distribution sums to 1 or solve the Slutsky equation.  🙂

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I bit the bullet and did the survey.  Mail order bride arrives in 7-10 business days.  Don't know how I'm going to explain this to the old lady.  

She married a portajohn, how much worse can it get?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 3/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, PortaJohn said:

I bit the bullet and did the survey.  Mail order bride arrives in 7-10 business days.  Don't know how I'm going to explain this to the old lady.  

Rebrand it as Mail a Maid Service.  The arrival does all of the tasks and chores the Old Lady finds distasteful and no longer does.  Extra points for making her think it was her idea in the first place and you were thoughtful enough to read her mind.

• Haha 1