Best match ever at each weight class

CHROMEBIRD

22 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Here's the full video of I-Mart v Cenzo...

Imar was just a physically dominant Wrestler He was SO strong, it's almost like it did him a disservice. He never really adjusted because...he had ONE loss through two years to some guy named Nolf, and nobody really heard much about him after that!

Another all-time great match.

If Nolf wins this match, he MAY be considered the 2nd greatest College Wrestler of all time? But that last TD was slick and just Imar at his best. He was a problem when he jacked up that underhook.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Imar was just a physically dominant Wrestler He was SO strong, it's almost like it did him a disservice. He never really adjusted because...he had ONE loss through two years to some guy named Nolf, and nobody really heard much about him after that!

Another all-time great match.

If Nolf wins this match, he MAY be considered the 2nd greatest College Wrestler of all time? But that last TD was slick and just Imar at his best. He was a problem when he jacked up that underhook.

I preferred this version of Nolf v. IMar

7 hours ago, 11986 said:

This was a good one

God Gable seemed obnoxious during this match. I know this is going to draw the ire of all Iowa fans, but...just the antithesis of Cael in the corner. Just screaming and swearing at the refs in the corner. 

I get that type of intensity is what made him Gable in the first place, but that makes Tom and Terry look like they're sedated during matches. 

And hasn't Tom Ryan said something about how they take it too far? That's kinda funny!

Anyway, another great match. 

11 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I preferred this version of Nolf v. IMar

I guess Iu_alum doesn't stand for Illinois then?

On 3/29/2023 at 9:19 PM, Zahnarzt said:

I’ll take a stab…

125 - Lee-Rivera (2019 B1G Final)

133 - Vito-RBY (2023 NCAA Final)

141 - Retherford-Steiber (2013 Dual Meet)

149 - Metcalf-Caldwell (2009 NCAA Final)

157 - Nolf-IMar (2016 NCAA Final)

165 - Dake-Taylor (2013 NCAA Final)

174 - Nickal-Martin (2016 NCAA Final)

184 - Ruth-Dean (2014 Southern Scuffle Final)

197 - Snyder-Cox (2015 NCAA Semifinal)

285 - Gwiz-Snyder (2016 NCAA Final)

Just came here to make sure someone mentioned Dake Taylor in the national championship. Thank you sir for your service. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Just came here to make sure someone mentioned Dake Taylor in the national championship. Thank you sir for your service. 

Likewise just came here to make sure someone mentioned the Lockhart v Rowlands NC match.  😉

ncaa-photos-archive.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k

• Fire 1

On 3/29/2023 at 6:13 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

Not necessarily talking about the greatest wrestlers, but the greatest, most exciting, most memorable matches. I'm having a tough time thinking of good ones outside of NCAAs because the stakes are so high, but I imagine many here will have some better ideas

125    Mills vs. Gonzales (1979 NCAA finals)
133    Ironside vs. Kolat (1996 All Star Classic)
141    Owings vs. Gable (1970 NCAAs)
149    Marianetti vs. McIlravy (1995 NCAAs)
157    Jenkins vs. Taylor (2011 NCAAs) 
165    Hendricks vs. Churella (2006 NCAAs) 
174    Martin vs. Nickal (2016 NCAAs)
184    Rohn vs. Lambrecht (2002 NCAAs)
197    Kilgore vs. Foster (2011 NCAAs) 
285   Cassar vs. Steveson (2019 NCAAs)

ncaaryan65.thumb.JPG.502f2cede0450825f45d8c3a75d726c1.JPGncaaryan64.thumb.JPG.b537dda8f618cc4bbca87be31f24dd30.JPGncaaryan63.thumb.JPG.394b42fda5640da9b3ab979d7cf0bc70.JPGncaaryan62copy.thumb.jpg.512faea2da3e049ec40c994b57019c71.jpg

4 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

Medicine Man did some of his best work on the Hendricks/Churella match.   Referee Gary Kessel really screwed the pooch on this one.   

That was just bad. And it's one of those reasons I hate the, "don't leave it in the refs hands."

I'm fine with not calling the pin. Going back and watching these matches, there are quite a few times where a pin could have been called and it wasn't, be it defensive or whatever.

But those TDs on the edge are just awful. Particularly at that point when they weren't as generous with the TDs on the edge as they are now.

It has to hurt losing a match like THAT. I mean...we've all likely lost some matches we thought we should have won(or believed we should have won if not for the ref), but this was just so egregious and next level.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

That was just bad. And it's one of those reasons I hate the, "don't leave it in the refs hands."

I'm fine with not calling the pin. Going back and watching these matches, there are quite a few times where a pin could have been called and it wasn't, be it defensive or whatever.

But those TDs on the edge are just awful. Particularly at that point when they weren't as generous with the TDs on the edge as they are now.

It has to hurt losing a match like THAT. I mean...we've all likely lost some matches we thought we should have won(or believed we should have won if not for the ref), but this was just so egregious and next level.

What bugs me about the takedown is when one wrestler is out of bounds a TD is called more often than if they were in the middle of the mat.  In the middle they have continuous motion and the positions are wrestled through.  At the edge they have constraints like the table, edge of the mat etc. It's completely subjective.  

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

What bugs me about the takedown is when one wrestler is out of bounds a TD is called more often than if they were in the middle of the mat.  In the middle they have continuous motion and the positions are wrestled through.  At the edge they have constraints like the table, edge of the mat etc. It's completely subjective.  

When I said the TDs out of bounds, I was referring specifically to the Churella-Hendricks match. Those just aren't close to Takedowns..at all. 

As a whole...I actually like where we're at right now. It's not flawless by any means.  If I could make one change, I'd like to see the...(channeling inner Shane Sparks) resilite with a larger out of bounds area. More room so that a Wrestler can't just put his hand on the floor to be out of bounds. 

That's an issue.

A lot of the TDs that are given up are given up just because guys kinda try to Wrestle the edge and they let up. And it's certainly hard to Wrestle through a position, but it's kinda like catching the ball on the sidelines and dragging your toes. You're not going to have to take the hit and hang on as you go to the ground, but it's just about being aware of where you are.

I agree though, you can wrestle out of bounds on one side and have 3 extra feet if you're butting up against another mat and going the other way, you've got the table or the floor. I just don't know how to solve that(other than just larger mats, but that's expensive...though if you started moving in that direction now....). 

I do like it better than the older rules where there were far-far fewer TDs because the action was blown dead. 

• Fire 1

On 3/31/2023 at 10:05 PM, scourge165 said:

Your comment reminded me of St. John vs. Ironside (1996 NCAAs), definitely not one of the best matches ever. Especially after bulldozing his way to the semis.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Your comment reminded me of St. John vs. Ironside (1996 NCAAs), definitely not one of the best matches ever. Especially after bulldozing his way to the semis.

LOL...that's not funny to Ironside I'm sure, but that is comically bad.

90% of that match was Wrestled like St. John had a 1 point lead with 15 seconds left and...you could have called about a dozen fleeing the mat calls?

One of the great rule changes are the out of bounds rules now in play. In a match like this where the ref doesn't want to make a call(however obvious) you at least can't just hide near the out of bounds line.

Also cost us another Ironside vs Kolat match. Didn't those two have a GREAT match that year where Kolat lost in old school Iowa fashion? By the Iowa guy getting 7 TDs in the last 30 seconds when a guy is gassed?

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Yeah that was the year Ironside had the crazy comeback at the All-Stars against Kolat. 

I like the way Ironside ran off the mat after that NCAA match.

Ironside is a good dude. I've had the pleasure to get to meet him on a few occasions. He's remembered meeting me(first when I was a HS kid) and then came up and have some kind words when I saw him at the NCAAs. 

Too bad he got screwed so bad here. 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, ionel said:

What's your point?  🤔

Not only was he pinned, I think he only got a 2 point nearfall and was in danger for 5 seconds ....that's my point.....water over the dam now.....definitely controversial....too bad there wasn't video review on that situation (not that they could have called a fall, but it could have changed it to a 3 pt. nearfall), as well as a couple of "phantom/fake news" takedowns.

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Not only was he pinned, I think he only got a 2 point nearfall and was in danger for 5 seconds ....that's my point.....water over the dam now.....definitely controversial....too bad there wasn't video review on that situation (not that they could have called a fall, but it could have changed it to a 3 pt. nearfall), as well as a couple of "phantom/fake news" takedowns.

That was when the NCAA should have implemented reviews.

It wasn't until...what, 5-7 years later they did.

• Fire 1

On 4/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

SJS def had on his track shoes for much of that match, but that duck under to win it in OT was awesome. 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:02 PM, scourge165 said:

God Gable seemed obnoxious during this match. I know this is going to draw the ire of all Iowa fans, but...just the antithesis of Cael in the corner. Just screaming and swearing at the refs in the corner. 

I get that type of intensity is what made him Gable in the first place, but that makes Tom and Terry look like they're sedated during matches. 

And hasn't Tom Ryan said something about how they take it too far? That's kinda funny!

I think that match was at least slightly out of character for Gable.  Not saying he was always an angel, but he is on record saying that was the most upset he ever was during and after a match.  He felt overwhelmed and exhausted after.  I believe that he has said when he went into the tunnel that he was so overwhelmed that he was physically ill and thought he might actually be having a heart attack.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think that match was at least slightly out of character for Gable.  Not saying he was always an angel, but he is on record saying that was the most upset he ever was during and after a match.  He felt overwhelmed and exhausted after.  I believe that he has said when he went into the tunnel that he was so overwhelmed that he was physically ill and thought he might actually be having a heart attack.

That seems right. I've seen Gable in the corner and he's animated, but this one was a few notches above that. I really don't know how Cael can sit in the corner like that, so little emotion. They're two kinda extremes(Barry Davis is another). You invest that time and energy and that IS a life changing event for a kid you've got a lot of time and energy in...

• Fire 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:46 AM, 11986 said:

This was a good one

Thanks for sharing....controversial TD at 1:46  (read Gable's lips at that point)

......I've talked with Tom about that before....thanks for sharing....haven't seen it in a long time.

Edited by Fadzaev2