Potential Rule Changes Vote sent to coaches

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

disagree, wrestling fell behind b/c it has a stigma attached to it, weight cutting, and the idea of hard work beyond any other sport. Im not saying they dont work hard... its just different...and cutting weight makes it worse.

That played a small role. The bigger role was not being proactive about rule changes and getting their guys into admin and going after tv deals. Football and basketball college and pro. Did not magically take over. They made strategic decisions. 
Hell, even now with the changes with NIL and college sports. Football Coaches are much more proactive and actively looking at the risks to their sport in a much more long term and pragmatic way than wrestling does.

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

That played a small role. The bigger role was not being proactive about rule changes and getting their guys into admin and going after tv deals. Football and basketball college and pro. Did not magically take over. They made strategic decisions. 
Hell, even now with the changes with NIL and college sports. Football Coaches are much more proactive and actively looking at the risks to their sport in a much more long term and pragmatic way than wrestling does.

im not sure rule changes do anything, unless you are talking about rules regarding recruiting etc..not actual match rules

now, getting guys into Admin and tV deals... definitely

but football and bball didn't magically take over i agree... but are much more popular.. the deal football made in the 80's was incredible...b/c football is popular...not b/c of rule changes 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

For those who feel wrestling has fallen behind, I would love to hear when you thought wrestling was "ahead".

Wrestling, particularly college wrestling, has as much notoriety, promotion, event coverage and audience ratings as it ever has.

"The good old days weren't always good, tomorrow's not as bad as it seems." Billy Joel

I love this post! SPOT ON.

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, Scouts Honor said:

yes, your insult is not pertinent to the discussion

and in fact, is a logical phallacy i believe, diminishing the opponent

i sincerely hope everyone is going to be ok...

2 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

so this is the part where you say, yes, you are right... my post wasn't pertinent

i do not suggest you holding your breath for that...

but you do you, boo...

1 minute ago, Scouts Honor said:

your old tired argument is...

that anyone that disagrees with you is wrong... 

get over yourself. 

good day.

not at all...

this is where i differ from most...

i am unconcerned if anyone agrees with me or not...

i am results oriented...

17 hours ago, Formally140 said:

To those saying and thinking “we should have never changed the rules…”

part of why wrestling fell behind us other sports stayed ahead and were proactive

I've literally never seen anyone say "we should have never changed the rules..."

8 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

disagree, wrestling fell behind b/c it has a stigma attached to it, weight cutting, and the idea of hard work beyond any other sport. Im not saying they dont work hard... its just different...and cutting weight makes it worse.

I don't want to get that little bird chirping again, but I think it was a little more than that...and we're also conflating COLLEGE Wrestling with Olympic Wrestling, but we did a terrible job of marketing the sport.

Again, the biggest match that was shown on TV was the not the most exciting match you could think of. To this day, it's the match people remember because they made such a big deal about it during the Olympic coverage. This epic upset that everyone talked about(along with the myths that surrounded it). They showed Karelin and Rulon over and over. Didn't see Saitiev vs Slay. I think that was a bigger problem.

MMA and Wrestlers success has also helped the sport a great deal. 

8 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

For those who feel wrestling has fallen behind, I would love to hear when you thought wrestling was "ahead".

Wrestling, particularly college wrestling, has as much notoriety, promotion, event coverage and audience ratings as it ever has.

"The good old days weren't always good, tomorrow's not as bad as it seems." Billy Joel

My interpretation was the reason it HAD fallen behind, not that it was falling behind where it is NOW. 

The time it was "behind" was ~2000 until they tried to get rid of it and cut it to 6 Olympic sports. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I've literally never seen anyone say "we should have never changed the rules..."

You know as well as I do people, including on this thread and in the past argue often against Changing the rules… stop being pedantic because you want to ignore my actual point 

2 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

You know as well as I do people, including on this thread and in the past argue often against Changing the rules… stop being pedantic because you want to ignore my actual point 

That dog won’t hunt…

12 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Agreed. I was full time wrestling by '82.' Nine months of the year. Folk and FS/GR.

I can't remember wrestling ever, "being ahead."  If you got some Olympic wrestling on TV it was a big deal.  If you were able to get some wrestling on a PBS channel you were lucky and lived in a wrestling area. Went to quite a few WC's in Toledo.  That was as big as I ever knew wrestling to be for a whole bunch of years.

• Fire 2

5 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Agreed. I was full time wrestling by '82.' Nine months of the year. Folk and FS/GR.

I can't remember wrestling ever, "being ahead."  If you got some Olympic wrestling on TV it was a big deal.  If you were able to get some wrestling on a PBS channel you were lucky and lived in a wrestling area. Went to quite a few WC's in Toledo.  That was as big as I ever knew wrestling to be for a whole bunch of years.

100% honest…

I am totally ok with it being on the outskirts…

wrestling already has enough shysters…

this is too important to be more sullied by mass consumption…

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

You put "We should never change the rules," in quotes. Quotes means someone said that...and nobody said anything CLOSE to that. There have been several times people wanted rule changes.

The difference between NOT wanting the step out rule or EVERY rule change is not pedantic, it's just not agreeing with you.

Sometimes it's just changing shit just to change it...which AGAIN, they did for years in Greco and Freestyle to it's detriment.

33 minutes ago, LJB said:

100% honest…

I am totally ok with it being on the outskirts…

wrestling already has enough shysters…

LOL...oh Christ...the irony here is just too much! 

A guy who never wrestled, who's doesn't respect the style of Wrestling we're talking about and who's..."accomplishments," I guess are being the most proliferate poster of Gifs and questioning the toughness of people who don't agree with him...it's cute.

And you don't even need to reply. We already know it.

......fake percentage not tough enough

.....pulling for you

.....question the use of a word he doesn't quite understand

....must have last word

....totally unrelated Gif

I don't want to get that little bird chirping again

I should have known some things can't be helped!

Edited by scourge165