Potential Rule Changes Vote sent to coaches

Headgear should be optional.  
I think top wrestler should always work for the turn.

I feel the stall call has helped with going off the mat on the feet, let’s stick with this for awhile.  Should start calling top guys who run opponent out on purpose more. 
Most of the other stuff is so subjective I’m afraid there will be little consistency from call to call let alone match to match or duals, refs etc.. 

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Yeah, maybe.  Pins are contested on this here forum. 

that is the real point...

some are going to whine no matter what...

it is just in their nature...

Weekend Spider GIF

On 3/30/2023 at 8:03 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

1. No longer requiring headgear.   My HOF college coach used to say "headgear should be optional in competition, but mandatory in practices." Instaed, we do the opposite!  I would like that rule!

2. Changing first MFF to a loss.  Good rule.

3. Reducing the scoring for consolation bracket (no specifics though).  I like this.

4. Offensive wrestler must work for a fall/near fall.  Great!

5. One point pushout rule.  I like it, but there is one problem that I see: What happens when a guy escapes near the edge and then is attacked and forced out?  Trading a 1E for a "1 pushout" doesn't sound right!

6. Not mentioned above was uniform weigh-in times.  No more differing "one hour weigh-ins" for duals and "two hour weigh-ins" for tourneys.  Make it uniform!  Pyles was deadset against one hour weigh-ins for both.  I think it is a great idea.  The weight-cutting is not nearly as bad as it was 20 years ago, but it seems we are backsliding little by little.  Let's keep making it tough for the weight cutters, especially in tournaments.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:32 PM, 1032004 said:

Discussed on FRL today.  Some of the key ones and my thoughts:

1. No longer requiring headgear.   Dislike.   It should be required in practices

2. Changing first MFF to a loss.  I like it.

3. Reducing the scoring for consolation bracket (no specifics though).  I like it.

4. Offensive wrestler must work for a fall/near fall.  YES YES YES

5. One point pushout rule.  I think I like it, but not sure.

When I wrestled, the NCAA required headgear be worn in practice. Is that no longer the case? I agree that it should be required...don't let 18-year-olds make a decision that can scar them for their entire lives. 

I do like adding the pushout rule though.  For the offensive wrestler must work for a fall-I agree.

Edited by billyhoyle

100% honest…

my oldest has ears that rival anyone…

because he got his big dumbo ears from me…

I guess he tells his brother he is going to get surgery when he is done competing…

his brother is like whatever…

chiks dig scars…

that has been true since day one…

Just like a c section…

an earned scar is earned…

• Fire 1

52 minutes ago, LJB said:

100% honest…

my oldest has ears that rival anyone…

because he got his big dumbo ears from me…

I guess he tells his brother he is going to get surgery when he is done competing…

his brother is like whatever…

chiks dig scars…

that has been true since day one…

Just like a c section…

an earned scar is earned…

Is this his ear bulb? 

ear .png

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1. I know it’s because it’s what was required by my coaches.. Headgear at all times. 
It’s an avoidable injury, it should be prevented.

2. Okay
3. Okay

4. Will refs call it? Seeing what gets called “Action” going out of bounds, it won’t be called like we want it to.

I can easily foresee a wrist ride being seen as a working for nearfall. Or cross wrist. Or claw. Any leg in. 
Hopefully it eliminates the ankle pinch/hook though.

5. Might work out well but it’s going to take some growing pains and possibly unintended consequences we may not yet see.

• Fire 1

17 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Headgear should be optional.  
I think top wrestler should always work for the turn.

I feel the stall call has helped with going off the mat on the feet, let’s stick with this for awhile.  Should start calling top guys who run opponent out on purpose more. 
Most of the other stuff is so subjective I’m afraid there will be little consistency from call to call let alone match to match or duals, refs etc.. 

I'm with you on the headgear. Of all the Wrestling you'll be doing, a tiny fraction is an actual match. Having your ear swell up to the size of a Golf ball and start to fold over...I don't really get what's cool about that, but that's for HS rules I guess. You're legally allowed to be an idiot when you're 18!

Running a guy off has gotten worse. I think "working for the turn," will mostly just be guys like Starocci making it look like they're working for a turn. I'd definitely do something about hooking the ankle. You can't stay on the ankle for 5 seconds, but you can hook it for the whole period?

I'll just reiterate my general point. We shouldn't go looking for problems to fix. The MFFs, those are actually problems. If not counting them as a loss on the record, at LEAST count them as a loss for seeding purposes. More action on top. But I think the pushout rule is going to really hurt the sport.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

When I wrestled, the NCAA required headgear be worn in practice. Is that no longer the case? 

Is it?  I’m not sure, didn’t realize that if so.  I wouldn’t hate it if it was required in practice but not matches

On 3/29/2023 at 10:32 PM, 1032004 said:

Discussed on FRL today.  Some of the key ones and my thoughts :

2. Changing first MFF to a loss.

A step in the right direction. Call it a L-Forf to distinguish it from L-ID.  But a LOSS on the record which affects NCAA Seeding.  Hopefully this will decrease mff’s.

3. Reducing the scoring for consolation bracket (no specifics though).

I have never understood why Advancement points are reduced by half in Consolations but not Bonus points.  ZERO logic to this.

IMO, BOTH of these changes would be positive for the sport.

Edited by Show_Me

As to team scoring, I thought using the HS scoring rules would have accomplished what was wanted back in 2000. It keeps a wider separation between placewinners and the higher advancement points allow for lower and non-placers to still score significantly. It also helps with the difference between ch and co bouts.

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

We should just leave the great sport of wrestling the way it is and call it good

It seems great to me. Some little changes have been good. Clarifying a couple rules, the rules on the edge. Maybe call the ankle ride/hook a stalling. Place a bigger emphasis on stalling when you back out because you're in a bad position(Hidlay vs Soldano being an easy example).

But that's it, Minor tweaks, not these wholesale changes. You're going to get so much less action if you add a pushout...and it's going to make the mat that much smaller. Make the offensive Wrestler score on that single up in the air, not just walk a guy straight out. 

Edited by scourge165
  • Fire 1