Meatball Ron defeated by 2nd week of law school material

VakAttack

My wife was continually astounded by how dumb some of her (top-15) law school classmates were. Of course, it helped when they attended classes in a building that shared their last name. And when they already have a 500k base job lined up as a 1L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would there be a thread about this if the company was different? Maybe Raytheon, Exxon or Twitter and the governor was say, Gavin Newsome or Phil Murphy? Disney has enough money to outsmart the government and keep control over the land they own. Is that good or bad? A corporation so big, the government gave up control over it to keep the tax coffers full and now wants that control back but can't get it. Is that good? I'm interested to hear the reason for posting it.

First off, Meatball Ron is a sad juvenile moniker in a long line of sad juvenile monikers created by a weirdo clown.  Speaks volumes that it scores political points rather than becomes a deal breaker.

Sorta torn here.  Corporations shouldn't govern, but governments shouldn't exact revenge for political dissent.  I'll side with Disney because Desantis is motivated by the same mentality that makes Meatball Ron a brilliant moniker.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Nailbender said:

Would there be a thread about this if the company was different? Maybe Raytheon, Exxon or Twitter and the governor was say, Gavin Newsome or Phil Murphy? Disney has enough money to outsmart the government and keep control over the land they own. Is that good or bad? A corporation so big, the government gave up control over it to keep the tax coffers full and now wants that control back but can't get it. Is that good? I'm interested to hear the reason for posting it.

I promise you, if the government in any place changes the law in response (or as retribution) to a corporation or person exercising free political speech and I'm aware of it, I will be making a comment.  And when that attempt to subvert speech is defeated hilariously with very, very basic legal maneuvering, I will, in fact, laugh.  Just like I laughed at pretty much every legal filing post election by His Orangeness.

11 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I promise you, if the government in any place changes the law in response (or as retribution) to a corporation or person exercising free political speech and I'm aware of it, I will be making a comment.  And when that attempt to subvert speech is defeated hilariously with very, very basic legal maneuvering, I will, in fact, laugh.  Just like I laughed at pretty much every legal filing post election by His Orangeness.

I have only loosely followed this.  Is this stunt going to relieve Disney of  $150M/year in infrastructure costs?

Why are we not talking about the funniest part?

The new contract is valid in perpetuity or, if that is considered unlawful, until "21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, King of England."

What lawyer came up with that jab? And how did it make it past all the other lawyers?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 3

If I was teaching a class on recognizing propaganda,  I would make this article required reading. 

It’s a blog post. It’s pure opinion. Calling it an article is generous.

The point of it, which apparently flew right over your head, was that the company signed a very much legally binding agreement with the State of Florida before the State’s punitive law came into effect. And somehow tied it to the lifespan of the British monarch’s descendants. Which is hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I have only loosely followed this.  Is this stunt going to relieve Disney of  $150M/year in infrastructure costs?

Potentially!  Fortunately we have the below, which I thought the "small government" types that Republicans purport to be would love! 

20230330_000004.jpg

29 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why are we not talking about the funniest part?

The new contract is valid in perpetuity or, if that is considered unlawful, until "21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, King of England."

What lawyer came up with that jab? And how did it make it past all the other lawyers?

There are so many funniest parts, but that may, in fact, be the best.  As someone who lives about 1 hour away from the area...hooboy is it getting a lot of coverage, lol.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

So this is a free speech issue for you. Great. It's also a government retribution issue. Fine by me. Neither of those address what I said. You changed the premise of my post to fit your needs. Which is also fine as I suppose I did the same to yours.

37 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

So this is a free speech issue for you. Great. It's also a government retribution issue. Fine by me. Neither of those address what I said. You changed the premise of my post to fit your needs. Which is also fine as I suppose I did the same to yours.

Huh?  You asked if there would be a thread about this if the company were different. I said I would be commenting regardless if the facts were the same, just with different names, because of the free speech issues along with governmental retribution/hilarous legal wranglings, which were the reasons I posted this thread originally. I'm not twisting anything.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

There are so many funniest parts, but that may, in fact, be the best.  As someone who lives about 1 hour away from the area...hooboy is it getting a lot of coverage, lol.

I can't just leave well enough alone. Apparently, this is a common law thing dating back to the 1600's. Royalty was chosen because they tended to have longer life expectancy than peasants due to things like access to better healthcare. Additionally, commoners were less likely to have a complete and unquestioned family tree causing problems determining when the final person died. That this would be used as a dry corporate law/political joke tickles me to no end.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Huh?  You asked if there would be a thread about this if the company were different. I said I would be commenting regardless if the facts were the same, just with different names, because of the free speech issues along with governmental retribution/hilarous legal wranglings, which were the reasons I posted this thread originally. I'm not twisting anything.

You posted a link with no commentary but your thread title. I mentioned Disney reaching a status in their state that people could be against if it was another corporation. @Plasmodium addressed a similar idea about being uncomfortable with corporations reaching a level where they are the government. You just changed the subject back to laughing at Desantis and added free speech and retribution. If that's all you want to talk about, fair enough. It is your thread after all. It just doesn't interest me.

you guys are aware of what a cess pool Disney is as a company, yes?

and they pretty much always have been...

i have known several people who have worked in the park and also several graphic artists who have worked for them...

they are an awful company...

the fact they have jumped so hard on this left leaning political path will ultimately ruin them once sanity comes back...

i have known several people who have worked in the park and also several graphic artists who have worked for them...
the fact they have jumped so hard on this left leaning political path will ultimately ruin them once sanity comes back...

Recognizing that marginalized people exist is “left leaning”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, LJB said:

Agreed...it use to be one of the best places to work way back in the day, just now it isn't for some reason.  One has to wonder what happened, but based on feedback from a large amount of ex-employees it may be evident.  Sad how politics has worked its way into corporate America's employee's treatment whether it is left or right leaning politics.  I miss the day when corps stayed out of it...publicly anyway.  I fully understand lobbying has been happening for a long long time and that is another subject all together, but the forced political views is terrible if you ask me.

And you are right, it was "adorable" what Le Duke said...so disingenuous when people do that...what he said has NOTHING to do with your point.

no, but, that is very typical, yes?

they are an awful company and treat their employees horribly and have since at least the early 90s...

slave labor would not be too strong a word for the conditions back then...

28 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

You posted a link with no commentary but your thread title. I mentioned Disney reaching a status in their state that people could be against if it was another corporation. @Plasmodium addressed a similar idea about being uncomfortable with corporations reaching a level where they are the government. You just changed the subject back to laughing at Desantis and added free speech and retribution. If that's all you want to talk about, fair enough. It is your thread after all. It just doesn't interest me.

You asked if there would be a thread about this if it was a different company.  I, as the poster who started this thread, told you that yes, I would, and gave you my reasons.  And you have now accused me of changing the subject.

Agreed...it use to be one of the best places to work way back in the day, just now it isn't for some reason.  One has to wonder what happened, but based on feedback from a large amount of ex-employees it may be evident.  Sad how politics has worked its way into corporate America's employee's treatment whether it is left or right leaning politics.  I miss the day when corps stayed out of it...publicly anyway.  I fully understand lobbying has been happening for a long long time and that is another subject all together, but the forced political views is terrible if you ask me.
And you are right, it was "adorable" what Le Duke said...so disingenuous when people do that...what he said has NOTHING to do with your point.

What is an example of “politics” on Disney’s part? What are the “forced political views”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk