Meatball Ron defeated by 2nd week of law school material

VakAttack

The left is laughing.  Florida got played and is gonna keep getting played until 21 years after the last descendant of King Charles III (of England!) dies.

No doubt the left can be vicious but I can't think of an analogous situation unfolding anywhere else.  Anyone know of another situation where a state legislature and governor acted to retaliate against a company for public comments?

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Disney took a position, having a special relationship with FL, that was opposite to what the FL legislature and, by extension, the people wanted.   And they were very very vocal about this opposition.   If they wanted to become political about this, the situation became political. 

To your last sentence, this has been going on everyday.   I agree it is unamerican to have to pay a heavy price for speaking your mind.   The Left has been doing that very thing to non-conformists for years now.   Now the left is complaining when the table is turned?   I see this as a tit for tat situation.  

mspart 

Except it's not tit for tat, because there's a difference between citizens and private companies enacting repercussions for speech they don't agree with versus a governmental entity.

18 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I still don't see a legitimate reason here.

• As far as I know, Disney doesn't fund any school to teach K-3 kids that changing gender is a good idea.
  • I don't see a path for Disney to "push to have that law removed." What were they pushing? Did they announce a plan to hire lawyers to sue the state of FL over it?
  • I did see that Disney's CEO used the free speech that we, as Americans, have and made a public statement about it. That's all I could find.

I 100% understand the concept that adults shouldn't be pushing children toward gender reassignment. And that children aren't equipped to make that kind of a decision, especially K-3. I'm not in favor of that either. I'm also not in favor of taking Christmas away, taking the suburbs away, or any of the other myths and conspiracy theories that have been pushed by politicians.

From where I sit, it looks mostly like retribution by Desantis to go after Disney for exercising their right to free speech by speaking out against Desantis.

Like something straight out of Moscow or Beijing - speak your mind, and you'll pay a heavy price... It's downright unamerican.

To your second bullet, I could not find anything to support my statement.   In reading an article on DeSantis saying this isn't over I found this:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/desantis-leaves-everyone-cliffhanger-retribution-151451637.html

DeSantis didn't say what would come next in his battle with the family-favorite company, a feud that first began in early 2022. That year, Disney drew DeSantis' ire after its leaders said publicly that the company would work to repeal the Parental Rights in Education Act, the legislation LGBTQ rights groups and Democrats have derided as "Don't Say Gay," because it limits classroom instruction about gender identity and sexual orientation.

Now, it must be remembered that the law only stops such education to K-3 students.   Yet, Disney and those who feel the same are essentially saying that it is wrong to not teach K-3 students about their genitals and how to have sex and what sex toys are and how you might not be who you think you are, you might be the opposite gender and steps you can take to get yourself to be the other gender.    No restrictions to what is taught in the classroom is the only solution.   Why they are doing this I have no idea.   But this takes them from being a company with an opinion to becoming a political actor.   Again, more reason why their special deal is being revoked.   Whatever happened to common sense?  It went the way of the corded phone. 

With this kind of logic of allowing minors to make these kinds of decisions, why not allow K-3 kids to vote, drink alcohol, drive cars, own guns?   Would anyone do that?   Why not?   Because minors don't have the maturity or mental clarity of understanding the consequences of their actions.   This has been known for all time and is corroborated by science in showing that their brain function and thinking functions are developing, not finished.   But that is what Disney and their kind are pushing for, to allow minors to make the ultimate life choice like they absolutely know what they are doing.    

This is pure grooming and child abuse at the highest level.   Perhaps you remember when this stuff was brought up that it was being taught in the schools.   "oh no, that isn't done, who would do a stupid thing like that?" was championed by all the left until Disney took on FL in this fight.   Then it because apparent that it is being taught in the schools and that is they way they want it and don't want it to stop.   I don't know how to describe it any other way.   And Disney is all about it.  Why this has become the pet project of leftists is a wonder.   And I say this seriously, no thinking adult thinks this is a good thing.   Not one.   This is a realm of zero reason and zero facts for the left, that's all they have.   And that is why you can be cancelled for saying what I have said, because they don't have facts and data on their side, they only have vitriol and cancellation.  

mspart

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

It was a thought answer.   You might have to think about it for a little while.   I'm sure you will get it after a short time pondering it. 

mspart

The only connection I can make is when the Trump White House reached out to Twitter seeking to have a private citizen Chrissy Teigen's rude Tweet taken down, but the "Twitter Files" avoided discussing that, instead focusing on the Biden campaigns requests to have Hunter Biden's dick pics taken down.  Is that what you're referring to?  There have been like 19 "Twitter Files" infodumps.

8 hours ago, mspart said:

Disney took a position, having a special relationship with FL, that was opposite to what the FL legislature and, by extension, the people wanted.   And they were very very vocal about this opposition.   If they wanted to become political about this, the situation became political. 

To your last sentence, this has been going on everyday.   I agree it is unamerican to have to pay a heavy price for speaking your mind.   The Left has been doing that very thing to non-conformists for years now.   Now the left is complaining when the table is turned?   I see this as a tit for tat situation.  

mspart 

I, again, mostly agree with you.

DIsney did take a position that was opposite the "Don't Say Gay" law. Many of the cast members that work at Disney are gay, and Disney supported them vocally. Those are facts, but I see no problem with them at all.

This can be labelled as political, no doubt. It can also be labelled as a company standing up for its staff, or for free speech, or basic human rights and dignity. A lot of labels could be thrown around, but none will change what the basic interaction actually was.

Desantis attacked Disney for speaking their opinion because it hurt him politically. They had very strong opinions that they wanted to vocalize - just as everyone else in the country has the right to do without being attacked. Government officials have no right to attack private citizens and companies who simply exercise their right to free speech. It is horribly wrong and 100% completely unacceptable in our free country.

The part I put in bold above is where we disagree.

Blaming what negative things some group has done in the past as an excuse to justify a current group doing similar negative things is not OK. That logic is something you'd see in grade school - the "he did it first" type argument. It's extremely weak, and I sincerely hope you abandon that line of thinking.

6 hours ago, mspart said:

To your second bullet, I could not find anything to support my statement.   In reading an article on DeSantis saying this isn't over I found this:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/desantis-leaves-everyone-cliffhanger-retribution-151451637.html

DeSantis didn't say what would come next in his battle with the family-favorite company, a feud that first began in early 2022. That year, Disney drew DeSantis' ire after its leaders said publicly that the company would work to repeal the Parental Rights in Education Act, the legislation LGBTQ rights groups and Democrats have derided as "Don't Say Gay," because it limits classroom instruction about gender identity and sexual orientation.

Now, it must be remembered that the law only stops such education to K-3 students.   Yet, Disney and those who feel the same are essentially saying that it is wrong to not teach K-3 students about their genitals and how to have sex and what sex toys are and how you might not be who you think you are, you might be the opposite gender and steps you can take to get yourself to be the other gender.    No restrictions to what is taught in the classroom is the only solution.   Why they are doing this I have no idea.   But this takes them from being a company with an opinion to becoming a political actor.   Again, more reason why their special deal is being revoked.   Whatever happened to common sense?  It went the way of the corded phone. 

With this kind of logic of allowing minors to make these kinds of decisions, why not allow K-3 kids to vote, drink alcohol, drive cars, own guns?   Would anyone do that?   Why not?   Because minors don't have the maturity or mental clarity of understanding the consequences of their actions.   This has been known for all time and is corroborated by science in showing that their brain function and thinking functions are developing, not finished.   But that is what Disney and their kind are pushing for, to allow minors to make the ultimate life choice like they absolutely know what they are doing.    

This is pure grooming and child abuse at the highest level.   Perhaps you remember when this stuff was brought up that it was being taught in the schools.   "oh no, that isn't done, who would do a stupid thing like that?" was championed by all the left until Disney took on FL in this fight.   Then it because apparent that it is being taught in the schools and that is they way they want it and don't want it to stop.   I don't know how to describe it any other way.   And Disney is all about it.  Why this has become the pet project of leftists is a wonder.   And I say this seriously, no thinking adult thinks this is a good thing.   Not one.   This is a realm of zero reason and zero facts for the left, that's all they have.   And that is why you can be cancelled for saying what I have said, because they don't have facts and data on their side, they only have vitriol and cancellation.  

mspart

Most of your post above (the last three paragraphs) were inflammatory remarks about how horrible it is to push children to change genders - but you're preaching to the choir. As I've said, I agree with you on that part.

As we've already covered, most all people - regardless of political leaning - don't believe in pushing children to change genders. As you've said, "no thinking adult thinks this is a good thing. Not one." And you're right. Democrats aren't pushing it, and there's zero reason to think Disney is pushing it either. Wherever you got the idea from - reading or listening - you should rethink that source of information.

The part of the article from the link you posted that did jump out at me was this:

On his book tour stops, DeSantis frequently boasts about taking on Disney over the Parental Rights bill, which he said was necessary to protect children. Should he fail to come out on top in the battle, opponents such as Trump could use the saga to undercut DeSantis' image of himself as an effective leader. 

On Thursday, DeSantis portrayed confidence over the feud, though he didn't spill any details about how he'd retaliate against Disney and no plans have leaked so far.

"It may have been the case that Disney ran the state of Florida in the 60 years prior to me being governor," DeSantis said, "but they do not run it as long as this sheriff is in town."

Looks even more like retaliation to free speech than ever.

Politicians are mostly all scumbags and this one seems to be no different. Talked himself into a predicament where now he's got to fight a corporation that has hasn't been shown to have done anything wrong except to contradict a politician.

Just another dirtbag politician without a moral compass or sense of responsibility when he's wrong. Both political sides are full of them. Just wish we'd have more decent politicians instead of what we've got now.

... btw, I do like the (R) Congressman with the eye patch. I believe he lost an eye when he was a Navy Seal. I don't hear from him much, but when I catch anything he has to say - he's direct, honest, and no BS. From what I've seen, I'd vote for a guy like him.

Why isn't he an up and comer in the (R) party instead of MTG, Bobert, and that bozo from Missouri? He is at least one decent politician I know of - I would think there are more we don't hear much from. Why aren't we hearing more from the decent politicians and LOT less from the clown-act politicians? 

Seems to me the political party leadership is in dire need of a shakeup.

• Fire 2

30 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Most of your post above (the last three paragraphs) were inflammatory remarks about how horrible it is to push children to change genders - but you're preaching to the choir. As I've said, I agree with you on that part.

As we've already covered, most all people - regardless of political leaning - don't believe in pushing children to change genders. As you've said, "no thinking adult thinks this is a good thing. Not one." And you're right. Democrats aren't pushing it, and there's zero reason to think Disney is pushing it either. Wherever you got the idea from - reading or listening - you should rethink that source of information.

The part of the article from the link you posted that did jump out at me was this:

Looks even more like retaliation to free speech than ever.

Politicians are mostly all scumbags and this one seems to be no different. Talked himself into a predicament where now he's got to fight a corporation that has hasn't been shown to have done anything wrong except to contradict a politician.

Just another dirtbag politician without a moral compass or sense of responsibility when he's wrong. Both political sides are full of them. Just wish we'd have more decent politicians instead of what we've got now.

The entire legislature helped him retaliate.  There is some banana republic type corruption going on in our country.  Most of it seems to be the right.

mspart

Instead of talking about these imaginary scenarios that are in no way backed up with proof (I.e., legislation), let’s talk about actual batshit crazy behavior by an elected body.

Today, the GOP-controlled Kansas legislature just passed a bill that will require girls in the state to have a physical to prove that they are not transgender. Specifically, they will have to have genital examinations to prove that they are not transgender.

https://www.newsweek.com/kansas-republicans-pass-bill-genital-examinations-schoolchildren-students-transgender-1792954?amp=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Instead of talking about these imaginary scenarios that are in no way backed up with proof (I.e., legislation), let’s talk about actual batshit crazy behavior by an elected body.

Today, the GOP-controlled Kansas legislature just passed a bill that will require girls in the state to have a physical to prove that they are not transgender. Specifically, they will have to have genital examinations to prove that they are not transgender.

https://www.newsweek.com/kansas-republicans-pass-bill-genital-examinations-schoolchildren-students-transgender-1792954?amp=1

you didn't read the article you posted did you?

shocking...

• Fire 1

No…
it won’t matter…

I read some other perspectives on it. It’s massive overreach, and a violation of privacy laws. It’s likely illegal.

But, it does NOT require, per the language of the bill, actual physical examinations, because it’s so vague. The bill’s author has said that she envisions this determination to happen in a sports physical, but that’s not in the bill (law).

So, it’s not as bad as I originally thought.

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

I read some other perspectives on it. It’s massive overreach, and a violation of privacy laws. It’s likely illegal.

But, it does NOT require, per the language of the bill, actual physical examinations, because it’s so vague. The bill’s author has said that she envisions this determination to happen in a sports physical, but that’s not in the bill (law).

So, it’s not as bad as I originally thought.

Come on man...you clearly are twisting the bill and the article to make it read something it doesn't.  Every kid needs to have a sports physical to play sports after a certain age.  

What is the bigger issue here for you?  Do you think biological males should be able to play against biological females in sports??  Is that what has you all up in arms?  

If the bill even remotely was close to what you are insinuating in that little kids would have to pull down their pants in front of people before competition, then of course about 99% of people would be against it.  However, confirming sex at a sports physical is essentially done now anyway.  You use the term "vague" to somehow turn this into something it isn't...because you want it to be...see!  see!!  Big bad R's again!!

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Blaming what negative things some group has done in the past as an excuse to justify a current group doing similar negative things is not OK. That logic is something you'd see in grade school - the "he did it first" type argument. It's extremely weak, and I sincerely hope you abandon that line of thinking.

This holds so true nowadays!!  This is happening more and more in today's society, and it is terrible!!  For instance, you can't fix oppression and inequity of certain groups of people, by doing the exact same thing to other groups of people.  The tit for tat crap has to stop...on both sides and for all types of societal issues.

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ron DeSantis has a new plan.   As I noted earlier in this discussion, this isn't over, DeSantis will make sure it is not over.   He is making a move and the news of it is less than a day old.   Very new right now. 

https://www.newsdaytonabeach.com/stories/desantis-announces-legislation-further-sanctions-against-disney,40012

Posted Monday, April 17, 2023 12:11 pm
Chris Gollon

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Monday announced a set of new sanctions against the Walt Disney Company in response to a recent agreement that deflected an attempted takeover of the land in which Walt Disney World sits in Central Florida.

mspart

Ron DeSantis has a new plan.   As I noted earlier in this discussion, this isn't over, DeSantis will make sure it is not over.   He is making a move and the news of it is less than a day old.   Very new right now. 
https://www.newsdaytonabeach.com/stories/desantis-announces-legislation-further-sanctions-against-disney,40012
Posted Monday, April 17, 2023 12:11 pm Chris Gollon TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Monday announced a set of new sanctions against the Walt Disney Company in response to a recent agreement that deflected an attempted takeover of the land in which Walt Disney World sits in Central Florida.
mspart

Broken link.

8 hours ago, mspart said:

Posted Monday, April 17, 2023 12:11 pm
Chris Gollon

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Monday announced a set of new sanctions against the Walt Disney Company in response to a recent agreement that deflected an attempted takeover of the land in which Walt Disney World sits in Central Florida.

mspart

I'm sure glad my tax dollars are going to yet another DeSantis quagmire.  He's stating here that he's literally going to change a law (or multiple laws) to go back and then invalidate the Disney agreement, implicitly admitting that what Disney did is perfectly legal.  Meatball Ron, big "small government" guy.

• Fire 1