Grand Jury votes to indict Trump

Plasmodium

a fad in the sense that there is no doubt at some point in the future it will not exist...

but...

everyone getting a voice with no consideration of whether or not they should is here to stay...

I'm not sure of the calculus here.  Are Ds really scared of Trump and want him put away or have a conviction on his record?  Or are they trying to enlarge his stature so that he does win the primaries and they can then easily defeat him?  

It seems to me that Ds should be confident they can beat Trump.   They did it with a near Alzheimer Joe Biden so they should be able to do it again easily.   I would think they would be trying to help him, like they did his candidates rather than trying to jail him.   Or is this the long game?   Put him on trial, lots of sympathy, he gets the nomination and gets defeated by an even more Alzheimer Joe Biden?

mspart

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

DeSantis is saying he will not extradite Trump from FL if it comes down to that. 

mspart

Empty words from an empty suit.  Florida and New York are part of the same country.

https://www.newsweek.com/no-ron-desantis-cant-stop-donald-trump-being-extradited-1791746

However, I'm glad my tax dollars can be used to fly asylum seeking immigrants from Texas to Maryland, but not to transport people charged with crimes.

It's all a moot point, Trump has already said he will turn himself in thru his representatives.  Like I said, just empty words to try to win political points.

Yes, I expect Trump to be in NYC on Tue. 

I was just saying that DeSantis won't aid NY in this extradition.  I don't think he could stop it but he doesn't have to aid it either. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

9 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Seriously??  Come on Plas...you can do better...once again such a disingenuous statement and such a biased viewpoint.  You honestly think Trump is the first president to pay off someone..."allegedly".  You tell me he is the first businessman to tow the legal line on taxes for their business...including politicians??  You think Trump is the first president to use political speak when answering questions...aka, lied?  Again, think they all politicians should be held accountable...and I couldn't care less if Trump goes to jail...he won't...but for anyone to say this isn't opening a can of worms in terms of politicians using the legal system to go after people based on politics then you are definitely disingenuous, bipartisan and hypocritical.  Also, you don't think other presidents have had people part of their administration go to jail?  Had bad people part of their administration?  Did/do you hold the president's with D's after their name to the same standard as R presidents??  Would love to see what you would have done if Trump made some of the same gaff's Biden and his VP have made when talking...you and Mikey would have lit up these forums with links and videos...but nope...silence.  My point of all this is to address your tit for tat to demonstrate your bipartisan thought process.

Just don't understand how people can be so one sided and narrow minded that they paint a narrative in their head that they would "overlook" bad things people do because of their political affiliation and hold people that don't have the same political affiliation to a completely different standard.

Well said Bigbrog. Its amazing how some people have their rose colored glasses on when it comes to looking at their own side.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:56 PM, mspart said:

I'm not sure of the calculus here.  Are Ds really scared of Trump and want him put away or have a conviction on his record?  Or are they trying to enlarge his stature so that he does win the primaries and they can then easily defeat him?  

It seems to me that Ds should be confident they can beat Trump.   They did it with a near Alzheimer Joe Biden so they should be able to do it again easily.   I would think they would be trying to help him, like they did his candidates rather than trying to jail him.   Or is this the long game?   Put him on trial, lots of sympathy, he gets the nomination and gets defeated by an even more Alzheimer Joe Biden?

mspart

Some reports say Trump's popularity is going up after the indictment. So maybe the the play is get him enough support from the voters to defeat DeSantis in the primaries then know they "should" have a slam dunk win in the general election. The D's should be more worried about DeSantis than Trump in the general election.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, BobDole said:

Some reports say Trump's popularity is going up after the indictment. So maybe the the play is get him enough support from the voters to defeat DeSantis in the primaries then know they "should" have a slam dunk win in the general election. The D's should be more worried about DeSantis than Trump in the general election.

I think this is correct.  Even though DeSantis is behind, I think once he starts campaigning there will be a shift in peoples opinions. 

mspart

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, mspart said:

I think this is correct.  Even though DeSantis is behind, I think once he starts campaigning there will be a shift in peoples opinions. 

mspart

I think either Trump or DeSantis beats Joe Biden as long as there are no voting shenanigans . I can't imagine Joe and Kamala doing multiple debates.  So pick your Poison.

34 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I think either Trump or DeSantis beats Joe Biden as long as there are no voting shenanigans . I can't imagine Joe and Kamala doing multiple debates.  So pick your Poison.

Either way, not sure how we got to the point of these four being the best choices we have to run the country. This is a very bad episode of Survivor.

• Fire 2

Either way, not sure how we got to the point of these four being the best choices we have to run the country. This is a very bad episode of Survivor.

I agree with you regarding Biden, Harris, and Trump.    DeSantis is very competent and not nearly as polarizing as Trump.   The Ds have a real problem with Biden and Harris.   Both are not up to the job.  This has been borne out by Biden's obvious mental decline and Harris'  inability to string together a few coherent sentences.   DeSantis suffers from neither and doesn't self inflict like Trump.   Of the 4, DeSantis is superior in my opinion.   Are there better Ds out there?    Maybe that is a question that should be answered. 

mspart

• Fire 2

I agree with you regarding Biden, Harris, and Trump.    DeSantis is very competent and not nearly as polarizing as Trump.   The Ds have a real problem with Biden and Harris.   Both are not up to the job.  This has been borne out by Biden's obvious mental decline and Harris'  inability to string together a few coherent sentences.   DeSantis suffers from neither and doesn't self inflict like Trump.   Of the 4, DeSantis is superior in my opinion.   Are there better Ds out there?    Maybe that is a question that should be answered. 

mspart

Destantis is a Trump clone, just smart about it for the most part. He wants to be a dictator and control everything within Florida from the books to even the land around Disney. The R's feel they need to stick with the Trump qualities in order to win unfortunately. 

Destantis is a Trump clone, just smart about it for the most part. He wants to be a dictator and control everything within Florida from the books to even the land around Disney. The R's feel they need to stick with the Trump qualities in order to win unfortunately. 

Not sure I would call Desantis a trump clone...he can't stand the guy.  And had this conversation, well tried to have this conversation with my mom and stepdad last night, as they are pretty far left, about Desantis and they struggled when I asked questions around what books is he banning and what is he doing that is so bad to Disney?  Without just using the catch phrases like he is banning books and he passed the "don't say gay" law, both of which is and has been proven completely false, anyway they couldn't really articulate which books he has "banned".  As for the Disney thing...I think we all hashed that out in another thread, but they to couldn't articulate why what Desantis is doing to Disney is "bad".   

I think for the R's to win, it will have to be Desantis showing the public who he truly is, which isn't anything like Trump, and isn't what all the MSM has tried to make him out to be.  But my bigger hope is that the D's can find a good candidate so we all have something to choose from other then Trump and/or Biden.  

• Fire 1

I think for the R's to win, it will have to be Desantis showing the public who he truly is, which isn't anything like Trump, and isn't what all the MSM has tried to make him out to be.  But my bigger hope is that the D's can find a good candidate so we all have something to choose from other then Trump and/or Biden.  

Whether Desantis likes Trump or not he surely acts like him and wants to be the supreme ruler. He's killing education in Florida and running teachers out of the state. I know that is a part of the big R plan, so every R will cheer for education only for the rich.

Desantis like the others are afraid of Drag Queens and kids reading books so much that they want to ban them permanently. 

He is smarter than Trump, which isn't hard to do, and knows how to work the system to get what he wants. If the R's want to win they know they need to have Trump qualities or his followers won't vote at all and they'll lose again. If they would have cut ties with Trump and moved the party a shade to the center they would capture many voters who voted D in the last election.

• Fire 1

Whether Desantis likes Trump or not he surely acts like him and wants to be the supreme ruler. He's killing education in Florida and running teachers out of the state. I know that is a part of the big R plan, so every R will cheer for education only for the rich.

Desantis like the others are afraid of Drag Queens and kids reading books so much that they want to ban them permanently. 

might be time to take a nap, bob...

DeSantis has major issues.  He will have to tone his anti-gay rhetoric way down to succeed with independents.  That has been key to his 'anti-woke' success, so not an easy task.   Short term, he has a lot of Disney egg on his face.  They make him look dumb as a post.  His ownership of the Florida legislature may enable midstream rule changes to save some face there.  Also could have his policies and actual work as a governor, or lack thereof,  exposed.  The property insurance in Florida is a shambles, so he better give thoughts and prayers to no hurricanes for a couple of seasons.

Edited by Plasmodium
no such thing as govenor

I do not believe Desantis is going to stand up to national scrutiny, especially not w/ Trump pounding away on him.  He doesn't do well with pushback, he's kind of an automaton.  With Florida's shifting electorate, that's fine, but he's going to fall apart, Scott Walker style, on the national stage.