How should the IOC treat individual Russian and Belarusian athletes at the 2024 Olympics?

peanut

How should the IOC treat individual Russian and Belarusian athletes at the 2024 Olympics?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the IOC allow individual Russian and Belarusian wrestlers (and other individual athletes) to compete at the 2024 Olympics under a neutral flag?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the IOC ban individual Russian and Belarusian wrestlers (and other individual athletes) entirely from the 2024 Olympics?

• Yes
    • No

30 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Do you really think the 1984 Olympics were as competitive as 1976 or 1988?

I think any athlete that showed up has no excuses…

excuses are for the rest of you…

im looking at you Billy…

Jimmy Fallon Flirt GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

7 hours ago, MPhillips said:

"With the conclusion of the Games, Germany's expansionist policies and the persecution of Jews and other "enemies of the state" accelerated, culminating in World War II and the Holocaust."

Flat Earther?

The Americans did send over a delegation to try and get the Nazi's to tone down the antisemitic rhetoric...which as history proved, accomplished absolutely nothing but appeasing the few American's who were concerned about the PR....to the point it was even an issue at that time There was very little actual outrage in America at that time. FDR stayed out the issue entirely, and save for the American ambassador who adamantly advocated a boycott and few others, American athletes were encouraged to participate. Though...not all that concerned as Jewish athletes in the US were left off teams in an attempt to not offend Hitler...purportedly.

As you pointed out, with the CONCLUSION of the games...

The Nazi's temporarily toned down their rhetoric, they took down many antisemitic signs featuring Jewish tropes for the Olympics.

How is that similar to Flat Earth? One of the two things is real and happened, the other is...flat earth. 

6 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I want to see the Russian athletes compete in the olympics-it is really a tarnished event if they don't..But they can't be allowed to compete given what is happening. It would not be fair to the Ukrainians.

Hopefully the war ends soon (with Russia either deciding to bring their soldiers back home or getting defeated on the battlefield) and we can go back to seeing the best athletes in the world on the biggest stage. 

It seems unlikely Russia is leaving the Ukraine with Putin still in power. 

Putin would lose even more credibility if Russia tucked tail and ran now(which is how it'd be seen by those supporters of the War).

Nothing is fair to the Ukrainians right now. I'm still conflicted over banning all Russian athletes unless they speak out against their own country...leaving them without a home and very possibly subject to severe punishment. Who knows what Russia would do.

I also don't want to really die on this hill defending Russian athletes even if I think it's a little more nuanced than their Country is doing some terrible shit.

It feels like the sanctions that targets the oligarchs...but without the teeth as you're not actually punishing anyone who can do anything to put pressure on Putin.

3 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Do you really think the 1984 Olympics were as competitive as 1976 or 1988?

The Americans were in the Gold Medal Match in 9 of the 10 weights in Freestyle. We even had a few guys do well in Greco.

It was kinda like having the NCAAs without the B1Gs competing.

I think there was one athlete who won a WC in '83 and one who won a WC in '85. The Schultz brothers.

It was OBVIOUSLY nowhere near the same level of competition. It's still an Olympic Title, but there's a reason most people put an * next to that year.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, MPhillips said:

Hitler had is own Olympics.  He sent the invites.:classic_dry:

In 1936, before they had invaded anyone.  (There were discussions of boycotts over persecution of Jews, which didn't pan out.)

Games were cancelled in '40 and '44.  Germany (and Japan) were banned from the '48 games due to their prior aggression.

All political ideologies aside, there will be no 1980/1984/2021/2022 Mickey Mouse titles.

Sport has always been an ideology of bringing cultures together and (naively) hopefully 2023 worlds at the various age groups can do the same at short-term and long-tail positions. See no further than Sadulaev/Snyder to view the positivity of sport to drive cultural inclusivity.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

Also, you have to appreciate the savviness to drop this news on the day that a former US President was indicted. Legit great move from UWW in that regard from a media relations perspective.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

All political ideologies aside, there will be no 1980/1984/2021/2022 Mickey Mouse titles.

mickey mouse world and olympic titles?

adorable...

it will never cease to amuse me when someone who qualified for state as a senior talks down any world or olympic medal...

simply adorable...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

mickey mouse world and olympic titles?

adorable...

it will never cease to amuse me when someone who qualified for state as a senior talks down any world or olympic medal...

simply adorable...

The best in the world weren’t at those championships and the term “Mickey Mouse title” comes from the NBA hostin a covid championship at Disney. Are either of those facts 

I was a bloodround loser so thanks for reminding me I wasn’t good enough at college age level. But since you want to take personal shots why don’t you get your family to break the domestic streak in the lesser style? They couldn’t even do that in a watered down field.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The best in the world weren’t at those championships and the term “Mickey Mouse title” comes from the NBA hostin a covid championship at Disney. Are either of those facts 

I was a bloodround loser so thanks for reminding me I wasn’t good enough at college age level. But since you want to take personal shots why don’t you get your family to break the domestic streak in the lesser style? They couldn’t even do that in a watered down field.

don't worry, they will be representing you internationally this year...

like they did last year...

and the year before that...

and i promise you, they will win medals for you at some point...

you wanna see the younger one did to the world silver medalist from last year in estonia a couple of weeks ago?

they are going to win you medals...

Music Video Mv GIF by bea miller

Edited by LJB
  • Fire 1

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10848575-uww-allows-russians-to-return-to-competitions-conditions-tbd

For the Senior age categories, an independent panel shall be formed to verify the eligibility of all athletes from Russia and Belarus based on the IOC’s recommended conditions of participation. The exact criteria and the members of the panel shall be decided in the coming weeks.

The Bureau approved to immediately allow wrestlers in the U15 and U17 age categories to compete as neutral athletes in international competitions.

Edited by MPhillips
  • Fire 1

I genuinely hope they can do what I only dreamt of. I was never good enough, and  the people light years ahead of me weren’t able to hit the mark at the global level in either style. I wish nothing but the best, but maybe just maybe try be less abrasive.

Honey…

Vinegar…

Flies…

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I genuinely hope they can do what I only dreamt of. I was never good enough, and  the people light years ahead of me weren’t able to hit the mark at the global level in either style. I wish nothing but the best, but maybe just maybe try be less abrasive.

Honey…

Vinegar…

Flies…

think about what you just wrote the next time you call ANY world or olympic gold a mickey mouse title...

with that being said...

i truly appreciate the support from where ever it comes from...