Why Peyton Robb mff at NCAA

Scouts Honor

Just now, MPhillips said:

Last I saw, Rose she was 100 yrs old and on a salvage ship.

Best to Robb. Apologies for the distraction.

To be fair…

yes…

let’s hope the kid gets healthy again…

11 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

I have a pretty robust background in working with infectious diseases and the anti-climactic answer is it’s impossible to know (especially without access to Peyton’s medical charts to get further insight into what the doctors were seeing and doing).  Infections can get really unique in every individual and there are so many cases that don’t end up being “textbook” and easy to solve. I initially started typing a whole bunch of medical reasoning and then realized no one will want to read all of that to get a non-answer. 

I wish Peyton all the best in his recovery and am hopeful he can make a 100% recovery. 

I'm just going off memory here, but I know Alex Smith, the Washington Football Team QB who suffered a brutal injury and ended up having 18 surgeries...his story started out sounding pretty similar. Though I believe his was worse(hopefully...it sounds like they're coming through the worst of this). But it took a while for them to realize it was necrotizing fasciitis in his case as well, correct? A compound fracture on a football field...all the bacteria. It just sounds brutal...and the same can be said for a Wrestling match.

One great thing about the Wrestling community, it's diverse, but we seem to come together when someone is in need. 

I sure as hell hope this is a storyline at the NCAA's next year. Just Wrestling next year would be a great story and mean he's healthy and he's recovered. 

• Fire 1

When  watching the NCAA's online... I noticed that after each bout, there's somebody going over the mats w/a UV lite-kind-of broom.

I don't recall the brand name... but is it effective in disinfecting the mats? (Just wondering... considering the topic on Peyton Robb and such.)

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

2 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

When  watching the NCAA's online... I noticed that after each bout, there's somebody going over the mats w/a UV lite-kind-of broom.

I don't recall the brand name... but is it effective in disinfecting the mats? (Just wondering... considering the topic on Peyton Robb and such.)

D3

Based on number ending up in hospital after, I'm going with:

b) No

• Fire 4

24 minutes ago, ionel said:

Based on number ending up in hospital after, I'm going with:

b) No

After reading Ramos and other comments...that sounds about right. 

Maybe go back to the Mops and the UV lights...if you've already purchased them. 

Edited by scourge165
  • Fire 1

I wrote a fairly long post on the previous forum about how stupid it is to replace bleach cleaning solutions with UV light exposure (this was when that guy got his eyes zapped-hope he is doing ok), but it really comes down to time of exposure that pathogens experience. 

If you had the entire mat zapped with high intensity UV light for an extended period of time, that would probably be equally as effective in killing any pathogens as bleach. That's not how these idiotic "UV Mops" work though, and there is no chance that the 2-second exposure times of the "UV Mop" is sufficient to disinfect a mat.  When you clean a mat with bleach, which is the cleaning standard solution, you have the entire mat covered in bleach as it dries.  In the process of the water evaporating, the bleach concentrates, which increases the effectiveness of the sanitation process. The NCAA should have known this-it was obvious to anybody who has any basic understanding of UV vs Bleach cleaning solutions.  

I think not only was this a mistake by the NCAA, it was an egregious action. They experimented with the lives of their athletes and in my opinion, likely acted negligently (how closely did they review the "studies" suggesting this UV mop works at all?).  I hope everyone currently suffering ends up ok, but the NCAA should be liable financially (assuming they didn't mop the mats before the round started). This is not one of the accepted risks that go with participating in the sport.  

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

they were just trusting the science...

give them a pass...

I don't think so...You could run a very easy experiment testing UV vs bleach, and I guarantee you a 2 second UV Mop exposure wouldn't win. I think they trusted the $$$. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

I don't think so...You could run a very easy experiment testing UV vs bleach, and I guarantee you a 2 second UV Mop exposure wouldn't win. I think they trusted the $$$. 

Which was the point…

Happy New Year GIF by HBO

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

But then you would be a conspiracy theorist.... maybe even cancelled.

BTW - I didn't even look or care to look if they still have the disinfectant box like thing  that you step on,  then wipe your feet off before stepping on the mat. Do they still do that? If not, it might be a good idea to go back to that. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say some mops and a few gallons of bleach are less expensive than a bunch of laser machines

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

The link isn't there now...

Last I checked they were well past their goal.  Next time tried to check it - no link.  Bet they closed it since well over what they were expecting and needing.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

I can't think of a single time when I've seen the mats mopped in between matches. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a time that I've seen mats mopped between rounds even.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I really doubt they saved money on the UV "Mops."

Those things start at like 1,000 dollars. how much do you think mops and bleach come in at?

Per Bud Hennebaul, who works on the site logistics and such at the NCAAs, the mats were mopped and cleaned before each day and between sessions as they have been for years. Combined with the UV treatments and no reported issues from the 2021 and 2022 championships, this seems like it is something a bit bigger and it seems like there’s a lot of assumptions being passed along as facts on social (shocker, I know).

• Fire 5

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

Per Bud Hennebaul, who works on the site logistics and such at the NCAAs, the mats were mopped and cleaned before each day and between sessions as they have been for years. Combined with the UV treatments and no reported issues from the 2021 and 2022 championships, this seems like it is something a bit bigger and it seems like there’s a lot of assumptions being passed along as facts on social (shocker, I know).

Maybe (gasp) he already had the infection before he set foot on a mat at NCAAs? Or, alternatively, he contracted his infection through skin to skin contact?

The assumption that he contracted it from failed UV cleaning of the mat is kind of crazy.

Also, to the crowd: UV doesn’t kill bacteria, viruses, etc. Anyone with a clue would know that. It works by damaging the DNA/RNA of the bacteria/virus and preventing it from reproducing. It’s regularly used in aquaculture to eliminate disease in fish production operations. I have a 36w UV sterilizer in my 140 gallon aquarium’s filter action system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Maybe (gasp) he already had the infection before he set foot on a mat at NCAAs? Or, alternatively, he contracted his infection through skin to skin contact?

The assumption that he contracted it from failed UV cleaning of the mat is kind of crazy.

Also, to the crowd: UV doesn’t kill bacteria, viruses, etc. Anyone with a clue would know that. It works by damaging the DNA/RNA of the bacteria/virus and preventing it from reproducing. It’s regularly used in aquaculture to eliminate disease in fish production operations. I have a 36w UV sterilizer in my 140 gallon aquarium’s filter action system.

When you sterilize the filter, how long is the exposure time? 

... sooooo guys like Aquaman could participate in the tourney w/ assurances that he'll be protected while toeing the line across his opponent?

def6b57ec5deb89ba3ba1c858f9963226c-14-aq

That's Great! 

(... though, I would think that the refs would disallow him from bringing that pitchfork onto the mat.)

D3

When you sterilize the filter, how long is the exposure time? 

The water is moving through pretty quickly. I’d guess 2-3ft per second. The tubing is 1”/25mm ID and it’s putting out 500 gallons per hour through that tubing. The UV unit itself is 26” long, and I think the bulb itself is 23”.

It’s pretty common for a UV filter to kill off a “green water” outbreak (water so full of algae you can’t see through 1’ of it) in a day.