Why Peyton Robb mff at NCAA

Scouts Honor

2 minutes ago, dragit said:

This strikes me as classic corporate stupidity by the NCAA. Someone walks in with some super technology and they just bite on it instead of using their common sense.

So, you're suggesting that common sense would tell them that adding this technology to what they already did (as has been shown on this- and the other- thread) would CAUSE this problem? Especially since this hasn't been shown to be the case in the two previous years of using it.

• Fire 1

Ugh...painful to read...people are so black and white and definitive about things they really don't know much about.  So we have a UV mop for our high school program...yes it works...if used correctly.  First off, nothing beats soaking your mat in bleach or the mat cleaning solution and letting it dry completely, we do this before every match and tournament.  We then use the UV as an augmentation to the wet mop by running the machine in between rounds of a tournament.  But you are supposed to go slow when using the UV mop and not walk at normal speed which a lot of people do.  The overall point is it is still "better" to even use the machine too fast versus not using it at all.

And quite looking to blame something for Peyton Robb's situation...it is terrible and I wish the young man the best of luck and a full recovery.  But blaming the UV mop for this is asinine.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Ugh...painful to read...people are so black and white and definitive about things they really don't know much about.  So we have a UV mop for our high school program...yes it works...if used correctly.  First off, nothing beats soaking your mat in bleach or the mat cleaning solution and letting it dry completely, we do this before every match and tournament.  We then use the UV as an augmentation to the wet mop by running the machine in between rounds of a tournament.  But you are supposed to go slow when using the UV mop and not walk at normal speed which a lot of people do.  The overall point is it is still "better" to even use the machine too fast versus not using it at all.

And quite looking to blame something for Peyton Robb's situation...it is terrible and I wish the young man the best of luck and a full recovery.  But blaming the UV mop for this is asinine.

OK.

We're on a wrestling board where people offer opinions about wrestling stories.

A top wrestler almost died from an infection after NCAAs.

A former national champ and current coach has tweeted concern re the mats at NCAAs.

As far as we can tell they are not bleaching the mats as they previously did.  "Nothing beats soaking your mat in bleach or the mat cleaning solution and letting it dry completely."

Instead, this massive corporation has substituted the use of a technology that only "works...if used correctly."  

The people working for this massive corporation who I have seen in brief video clips do not appear to be "go[ing] slow when using the UV mop and not walk[ing] at normal speed."

The "overall point" to me would be, in the interest of the student-athletes' help, to try to meet a bar somewhat higher than "better...versus not using it at all."

I have no idea if UV mops are effective if used correctly, and how they compare to bleach.  

But I think I'm on solid ground to express concerns about the NCAA's corporate decisions and execution of those decisions on how to clean the mats.  If they do less mopping with bleach than in the past, then they need to be responsible for the potential results of that change.

OK.

We're on a wrestling board where people offer opinions about wrestling stories.

A top wrestler almost died from an infection after NCAAs.

A former national champ and current coach has tweeted concern re the mats at NCAAs.

As far as we can tell they are not bleaching the mats as they previously did.  "Nothing beats soaking your mat in bleach or the mat cleaning solution and letting it dry completely."

Instead, this massive corporation has substituted the use of a technology that only "works...if used correctly."  

The people working for this massive corporation who I have seen in brief video clips do not appear to be "go[ing] slow when using the UV mop and not walk[ing] at normal speed."

The "overall point" to me would be, in the interest of the student-athletes' help, to try to meet a bar somewhat higher than "better...versus not using it at all."

I have no idea if UV mops are effective if used correctly, and how they compare to bleach.  

But I think I'm on solid ground to express concerns about the NCAA's corporate decisions and execution of those decisions on how to clean the mats.  If they do less mopping with bleach than in the past, then they need to be responsible for the potential results of that change.

You are right people have every right to come on here and explain what they think.  So you know for a fact that the "NCAA's corporate decisions and execution of those decisions" didn't include wet mopping?  And you have unequivocal proof that Payton Robb contracted the bacteria from the mats at the NCAA tournament??  Which mat specifically was it than?  How many people wrestled on that matt and ended up with that specific bacteria infection? 

My point is, there are studies and "science" that say the UV mops work when used correctly...period.  And to claim that the NCAA mats are the sole cause of Peyton Robb's serious illness/injury is pure speculation.  Not to mention, is there evidence/proof that the NCAA didn't clean with bleach before the tournament started?  Maybe they didn't but I haven't seen proof of that other than people on here saying they never saw them doing it while watching on TV, or in the stands...that is pretty weak "proof" if you ask me.  

But like you said, people are free to come on here and express their thoughts...continue on with your narrative..

Been posted (either on this thread or the other and on twitter) that nothing has changed on how often or how they clean the the NCAAs. So as far as I can tell, they are doing the same thing they did in previous years. 

• Fire 1

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

Been posted (either on this thread or the other and on twitter) that nothing has changed on how often or how they clean the the NCAAs. So as far as I can tell, they are doing the same thing they did in previous years. 

Thanks, that's helpful.  What have you observed re mopping with bleach since you are there throughout?

Thanks, that's helpful.  What have you observed re mopping with bleach since you are there throughout?

I may be there throughout, but I'm in meetings or heading into our staff room to eat once that last whistle blows and we close the session. Three long days and we have to use our breaks accordingly. I know I did see mats being mopped this year, but can't tell you how frequently. There's other things I've got to keep an eye on. 

Edited by Jason Bryant
  • Fire 4

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is GREAT to see. I really hope we see him back next year, see him back at the same level. That Nebraska team should be REALLY tough, really competitive despite some big losses(Lovett coming back). 

I mean, obviously more just because it'd mean he made a full recovery.

Not a huge fan of the "most courageous" award here. Is that a normal Nebraska award? It just feels like it's an award that goes to a guy who say...bumps up from 157 to Wrestle the 3X NC at 184...not the #1 ranked kid in the country and an undefeated Wrestler heading into the B1G finals...

But hey, who gives a shit. The kid is healthy, he's with his teammates and everything else is immaterial. 

On 4/16/2023 at 5:13 PM, scourge165 said:

That is GREAT to see. I really hope we see him back next year, see him back at the same level. That Nebraska team should be REALLY tough, really competitive despite some big losses(Lovett coming back). 

I mean, obviously more just because it'd mean he made a full recovery.

Not a huge fan of the "most courageous" award here. Is that a normal Nebraska award? It just feels like it's an award that goes to a guy who say...bumps up from 157 to Wrestle the 3X NC at 184...not the #1 ranked kid in the country and an undefeated Wrestler heading into the B1G finals...

But hey, who gives a shit. The kid is healthy, he's with his teammates and everything else is immaterial. 

The awards were given out at the annual wrestling banquet Nebraska does every year.

https://huskers.com/news/2023/4/17/wrestling-husker-wrestlers-honored-at-annual-banquet.aspx

Ironically enough, Robb won most courageous the year before too:

https://huskers.com/news/2022/4/11/wrestling-huskers-honored-at-annual-banquet.aspx

Edited by Xmas32
  • Fire 1