mats at ncaa's

Scouts Honor

12 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

I have no idea if they do or don't work (and I read some of the responses) but just because we fans only saw them using the sterilazers doesn't mean they weren't also washing between sessions like always.

It is a problem that needs to be addressed.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I have no idea if they do or don't work (and I read some of the responses) but just because we fans only saw them using the sterilazers doesn't mean they weren't also washing between sessions like always.

I remember thinking that they weren't even using the sterilazers very  much.... maybe every 4-5 matches. Do you recall?  

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

48 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I was one guy pushing the "sterilizer" and the light wasn't on......how does that think pick up dirt and hair???  Still think the microfiber cloth/tank sprayer between session is best.

It doesn't. I think it was developed mainly to kill covid and other similar things. That's why I said we don't know if they mopped between.

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

My bet is on the mats....they check for skin infection at weigh-ins.

I think it depends on the kind of infection. Herpes/ringworm/molluscum, I believe, are more skin to skin. I think staph may be more mat related.

14 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Possibly, but if people saw them using the sterilaser, wouldn’t they likely also see them mopping?  If you’re going to do both, I would think you’d mop first.  So if people saw them sterilasing before the sessions, I guess it’s possible they had already mopped.

Edited by 1032004

40 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Possibly, but if people saw them using the sterilaser, wouldn’t they likely also see them mopping?  If you’re going to do both, I would think you’d mop first.  So if people saw them sterilasing before the sessions, I guess it’s possible they had already mopped.

Of course not (assuming you mean between matches). Mats having been sterilaser "treated" are ready within seconds. Mopping takes minutes to dry and even if quick dry it would still take noticeably longer to be able to get out there. In rereading yours it's not clear you realized they did the once over after every few bouts per mat. They likely mopped AFTER the sessions.

Edited by gimpeltf

Yeah, prior to covid, they didn't do anything between matches. So using the sterilaser thing between matches isn't the problem, so long as they are still mopping between sessions. If they are doing a good job of mopping with bleach, then the mats are not the issue. There is not enough time to mop the mats during the session. 

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Of course not (assuming you mean between matches). Mats having been sterilaser "treated" are ready within seconds. Mopping takes minutes to dry and even if quick dry it would still take noticeably longer to be able to get out there. In rereading yours it's not clear you realized they did the once over after every few bouts per mat. They likely mopped AFTER the sessions.

Ah got ya, correct, I didn’t realize the sterilasing was happening in the middle of the sessions.  Then yes I would assume they mopped between sessions

The NCAA mats can't be blamed for Jon Jon Millner's staph, which reportedly is also very serious.  I believe he has had one surgery, and may still get some in the future.

Maybe it has become more of an issue this year?  Remember Teske missed a good amount of time.

I have had staph several times and MRSA at least once.  The MRSA could have been bad, but I caught it right away.  On day 1, I am sure I was contagious, but I'm fairly certain I would have passed a skin check.  Day 2 I was in the emergency room.

So the questions I have are: 

1.  Were the mats mopped before each session just as they have been in prior years? Were the UV lights in addition to what was previously done, or did they replace any aspect of the cleaning protocol?  Were the mats mopped between warmups and the start of the round?  

2.  Has there been an increase in skin infections this year reported overall among all participants or have we noticed this one very serious and high profile case?

I am skeptical that the UV Mops are effective, but if it is in fact true that they were only added to everything that has always been done and did not replace any aspect of the protocol, then the best action may just be to expand the current protocol by including mat intermissions in the round to wash them with bleach.  Maybe after every 10 matches per mat (a typical dual length). 

It could also potentially help to increase monitoring of open cuts among athletes during skin checks. Or to require clean singlets be worn before each match. 

Edited by billyhoyle