mats at ncaa's

Scouts Honor

3 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

This is also the third year the Sterilasers have been used at NCAAs. Did we have any of these issues in 21 or 22?

Do we even have an accurate count of how many affected this year?  Maybe no one talked about it last year or two?

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

This is also the third year the Sterilasers have been used at NCAAs. Did we have any of these issues in 21 or 22?

I have serious doubts that the UV Mop actually works at all in the way it is being applied (quickly running them over the mats).  But if every other protocol for washing the mats has been maintained, and the only difference is the addition of the UV MOP, I wouldn't expect an increase in infections. 

I am curious if the NCAA actually tested this product prior to implementing it, and whether the amount they washed the mats with normal bleach solutions has changed because they now have these UV Mops. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 2

I have serious doubts that the UV Mop actually works at all in the way it is being applied (quickly running them over the mats).  But if every other protocol for washing the mats has been maintained, and the only difference is the addition of the UV MOP, I wouldn't expect an increase in infections. 
I am curious if the NCAA actually tested this product prior to implementing it, and whether the amount they washed the mats with normal bleach solutions has changed because they now have these UV Mops. 

I’m not a doctor or a scientist. I am, however, aware that the NCAA doesn’t do anything fast. Highly doubt this was just tossed in without some degree of research.

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

48 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

I’m not a doctor or a scientist. I am, however, aware that the NCAA doesn’t do anything fast. Highly doubt this was just tossed in without some degree of research.

Feels like this is really tied to COVID. As many companies came out with UV sanitizers in response. If that’s the case, how much time have they had to invest in studying the effectiveness?  

Might take a couple years to see if it’s effective? Which could be the results that are starting to be seen.

1 minute ago, D3UC157 said:

Feels like this is really tied to COVID. As many companies came out with UV sanitizers in response. If that’s the case, how much time have they had to invest in studying the effectiveness?  

Might take a couple years to see if it’s effective? Which could be the results that are starting to be seen.

The Sterilasers have been around and used in wrestling since the 2000's.  Not sure the scientific data behind them though.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

The Sterilasers have been around and used in wrestling since the 2000's.  Not sure the scientific data behind them though.

I don’t know the answer, have they been in use at NCAAs since 2000s?

1 minute ago, D3UC157 said:

I don’t know the answer, have they been in use at NCAAs since 2000s?

Sounds like according to JB it has only been three years, which yes is most likely tied to covid.  But I'm pretty sure individual teams had used them prior, which may have helped the NCAA's decision for the tournament.

Edited by 1032004

18 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

UV-C is a known treatment for surface bacteria/virii/fungi.  It works.

20 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Over extended exposures of course. Is there any evidence that the 2 second exposure works? 

You can go to pubmed and search, if you really want to learn.  For instance, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22591268/

Results: On inoculated surfaces in the laboratory, application of the Sterilray device at a radiant dose of 100 mJ/cm(2) for ~ 5 seconds consistently reduced recovery of C. difficile spores by 4.4 CFU log10, MRSA by 5.4 log(10)CFU and of VRE by 6.9 log10CFU. A >3 log10 reduction of MRSA and VRE was achieved in ~2 seconds at a lower radiant dose, but killing of C. difficile spores was significantly reduced. 

From 2012, lest you think "not enough time has passed to evaluate UV-C."

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

You can go to pubmed and search, if you really want to learn.  For instance, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22591268/

From 2012, lest you think "not enough time has passed to evaluate UV-C."

How about a side by side comparison with bleach? Also, I’ve said before exposure time is critical, and the guys using the uv mops were not spending 5 seconds on each spot.

With a long enough exposure, I think it could be an effective device to include in addition to a normal bleach cleaning solution. Obviously high intensity uv over long periods kills pathogens, but i really hope nobody is using these devices in place of bleach. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:34 PM, Fadzaev2 said:

I was one guy pushing the "sterilizer" and the light wasn't on......how does that think pick up dirt and hair???  Still think the microfiber cloth/tank sprayer between session is best.

Here's an example of the need to be able to edit a post.....It should have said "There was one guy pushing",   and, "how does that thing pick up",  and "between sessions"....I must have been half asleep.

• Fire 3

The one thing I noticed about Tulsa was very inadequate restrooms and showers for athletes and people on the floor. The floor space in the back was very limited, thus a lot more foot traffic to haul around all sorts of bacteria and fungi. Usually the athletes area is further away and has much more room, thus less regular traffic in their areas.

Honestly, the area that causes the most issues is the restroom where athletes will wear their wrestling shoes to tinkle and then go straight to the mat and roll around in it. 

35 minutes ago, mspart said:

OK, I've seen those.   If the UV works, and that sole mat works, how did the skin diseases proliferate?   Maybe they should clean the mat each match!

mspart

Person to person.  

(Not to mention a good portion of the population has mrsa already in or on their bodies.  When I was recovering from mrsa on my knee and my jawline, I was made to put a swap with an antibiotic ointment inside each nostril, because something like 33% of humans have staph inside their nose.)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken