Starocci in 23-24

peanut

According to what appears to be Starocci's Twitter feed, Starocci says he wants to pursue the Olympics. He also says that he may end up leaving college entirely so that he can train for the Olympics full time. But he hasn't made a decision yet. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He’s either 2-1 or 3-1 against him.

I’d bet on Starocci.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Starocci cut down to 74kg when he wrestled Marsteller, or did they compete at 79kg?

Marsteller is super good, obviously. He beat Burroughs last June, a few months before Burroughs won a world title.

Did Starocci cut down to 74kg when he wrestled Marsteller, or did they compete at 79kg?
Marsteller is super good, obviously. He beat Burroughs last June, a few months before Burroughs won a world title.

They were both at 79kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Thats not very nice.  😞

You know sometimes he's not himself. That cat is breathing in backyard turf fumes.   Why must you continue to run him down?  "Breath of fresh air" for him is just a dream.

Maybe a bit of empathy once in awhile...

17 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You know sometimes he's not himself. That cat is breathing in backyard turf fumes.   Why must you continue to run him down?  "Breath of fresh air" for him is just a dream.

Maybe a bit of empathy once in awhile...

that reminds me, need to mow the lawn tomorrow 

Screenshot_20230331-215520_Chrome.jpg.3e37a31fa9b3897cb7d3f2f4a9548687.jpg

24 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Rain and the threat of 70mph winds here tomorrow.  You must live in paradise.

No, already past, tornado & 80 mph wind just north of here.

But I know a guy sitting on astro turf right now without a care in the world. 

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

When was the last time you bet against a Nittany Lion?

They do generally tend to be good bets. 

And I'd be shocked to see Starocci lose to Marsteller again. I think it's more likely he wins the spot at 74KG than Marsteller beats him...and I don't think Dake is giving up his spot at 74 just yet.

I'm also of the belief that Starocci will be back for #4 and #5(provided he gets #4).

The possibility of being the first in NCAA history has to be pretty compelling to the ego. When your ego has it's own gravitational pull....

3 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Have a hunch he's pressing to maximize his NIL deal.  Doesn't get paid then he's out.  It's a new era fellas

Part of the reason I think he'll pursue #4 and #5. The History of it being far more significant. Hell, if things go as I suspect they will in '24, he may be more invested than ever in '25. 

If there was ever an eagle amongst the Nittany Lions, it's Starocci. 

It's too bad for him that he doesn't really have a weight class. He won't be competitive at 86 and he is too big for same-day weigh-ins for 74 kg. 

If he really wants to make a serious go of it, he probably needs to spend the next year getting his weight right and competing in freestyle. An Olympic RS would be in order but not sure that is in Cael's plans...

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Have a hunch he's pressing to maximize his NIL deal.  Doesn't get paid then he's out.  It's a new era fellas

This  

I imagine he and Brooks could maximize their value in an both or neither package deal.

10 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Does he have an opportunity to make any more money training for freestyle full time than if he stayed in college? I understand how the threat of leaving could get him a little more NIL money, but he doesn't have a ton of leverage because he may make less money if he leaves. His name will ultimately be worth a lot more in the wrestling world if he has 4 or 5 titles. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Does he have an opportunity to make any more money training for freestyle full time than if he stayed in college? I understand how the threat of leaving could get him a little more NIL money, but he doesn't have a ton of leverage because he may make less money if he leaves. His name will ultimately be worth a lot more in the wrestling world if he has 4 or 5 titles. 

Lets assume he goes the Gable Stevenson route and signs a NIL deal with a MMA manager.  They'll decide his best course of action.  Ditching college and medaling on the world stage might be the better career plan.  I personally think it would be a bad plan because I don't care how much he believes in himself Carter ain't beating Dake. 

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

9 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Part of the reason I think he'll pursue #4 and #5. The History of it being far more significant. Hell, if things go as I suspect they will in '24, he may be more invested than ever in '25. 

He's been on record about having no desire to go for #5.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Lets assume he goes the Gable Stevenson route and signs a NIL deal with a MMA manager.  They'll decide his best course of action.  Ditching college and medaling on the world stage might be the better career plan.  I personally think it would be a bad plan because I don't care how much he believes in himself Carter ain't beating Dake. 

Well then I think this brings up a couple debates:

1.  I think one could make the argument that wrestling an NCAA folkstyle season is still good preparation for the Olympics

2.  Shouldn’t he train somewhere besides NLWC with Dake there?