Chris Ayers

Antitroll2828

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It is going to start getting even easier.  Columbia, for one, has just dropped SATs as a requirement for admissions.  This makes it much that easier to gain admission for a kid who has solid grades, and a "hook" or "talent" of some sort but struggled on entrance exams.

Yeah, they're implementing that because boys do better on tests and it was discriminatory vs girls...apparently...somehow. And yet there are a lot more girls/women getting admitted into the ivies(before they changed their rules).

I needed my test scores to help me get into school. They helped me better than a very mediocre GPA.

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Red Blades said:

Yeah, he lost a year to compete at Nationals... but the team got a win over Cornell!

And THAT'S what really matters!

In fairness, I doubt they had any clue he'd loss his chance to compete or that he'd be trading no NCAAs instead of 2 more NCAAs.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, they're implementing that because boys do better on tests and it was discriminatory vs girls...apparently...somehow. And yet there are a lot more girls/women getting admitted into the ivies(before they changed their rules).

I needed my test scores to help me get into school. They helped me better than a very mediocre GPA.

Strange! I generally see boys having lower GPAs than girls on average and AP classes having more girls than boys.  Possibly because homework and studying are discriminatory vs. boys!

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Strange! I generally see boys having lower GPAs than girls on average and AP classes having more girls than boys.  Possibly because homework and studying are discriminatory vs. boys!

No, that makes perfect sense. 

The girls had better GPAs and the Boys scored better on the testing...

AP classes are still split pretty close to 50/50 between male and female. Though that differs from subject, so...it'd defend on the subjects your teaching.

11 hours ago, ugarles said:

gotta respect an article by a princeton alum about how shocking it is to have a good ivy league wrestling team that literally doesn't mention cornell once

Probably because Princeton alums don't really consider Cornell an ivy league school?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

19 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

No, that makes perfect sense. 

The girls had better GPAs and the Boys scored better on the testing...

AP classes are still split pretty close to 50/50 between male and female. Though that differs from subject, so...it'd defend on the subjects your teaching.

The ones I see are about 2/3 female!

13 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The ones I see are about 2/3 female!

Yeah, I believe you...I'm just going off the National Averages. Biology for example, that's closer to upper 50s for girls. Physics, just the opposite and in the ~60s for boys.

I completely believe you see 66% female in your AP classes. 

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

My uncle was a college tennis coach at a d1 university, who also taught a class on sports ethics.  He marveled at all the 'really smart, really poor' athletes who got into Harvard, played hockey, and had great financial aid packages.

I didn't want to say anything earlier, but I feel I have to come clean. I am your uncle and everything you say is true.

Also, your Aunt Ruth has the clap and cousin Jared got stuck in the neighbor's septic tank again.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

That's not the reason. It's because rich kids do better than poor kids (across all IQ levels and levels of test prep).

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

That's not the reason. It's because rich kids do better than poor kids (across all IQ levels and levels of test prep).

The gender gap was a pretty large part of the reason behind the changes;

https://19thnews.org/2022/03/colleges-admissions-dropping-sat-exam-gender-gap/#:~:text=For SAT critics%2C test-optional,at a disadvantage for years.

And if they REALLY gave a shit about equity, they wouldn't use legacy students as any measuring stick. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Red Blades said:

Yeah, he lost a year to compete at Nationals... but the team got a win over Cornell!

No way Kolodzik wins NCAAs that year.  Hunter Richard almost beat him twice as Kolodzik managed to stall his way to a survival win both times.

Ayers story is great and the turn around has been great for a Program that was horrible but Princeton was 4-11 as a dual meet team last year (lost to Harvard)  and now lose 2 of best wrestlers in their history..God forbid if Joey D ever leaves for a B1G job

Edited by feet2back

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

No way Kolodzik wins NCAAs that year.  Hunter Richard almost beat him twice as Kolodzik managed to stall his way to a survival win both times.

This is not almost beating him. This is Kolodzik's first match being pulled from a RS and he was the clear aggressor and ONLY one actually attempting to score.

This is akin to saying there's "no way" Starocci wins it this year if it hadn't been contest, or O'Connor wouldn't have won it because he lost to Ed Scott and then barely beat him.

A Cornell guy who was familiar with him Wrestled him close. How many NCs had close matches with guys who were Wrestling to not get beat this past year or any given year?

The only point I was initially making was that Princeton had a guy VERY recently who was competitive and a 3X AA in 3 trips, but people are really underselling him. He was a stud. He was the 2nd highest returner in that bracket and...AGAIN, he'd beaten the one guy who placed above him and had 4 or 5 wins vs the #1 seed(2 in 2019).

The next point I'll make is the transitive property is not applicable to Wrestling. Because you Wrestled one guy close doesn't mean...really anything when predicting how that Wrestler would wrestle against other Wrestlers.

54 minutes ago, feet2back said:

Ayers story is great and the turn around has been great for a Program that was horrible but Princeton was 4-11 as a dual meet team last year (lost to Harvard)  and now lose 2 of best wrestlers in their history..God forbid if Joey D ever leaves for a B1G job

Yeah, they were not a power house. Still, it's cool to see schools on the level of Princeton have guys have that type of success. 

And they do have an elite recruit coming in as well as some other solid recruits.

Edited by scourge165

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

This is not almost beating him. This is Kolodzik's first match being pulled from a RS and he was the clear aggressor and ONLY one actually attempting to score.

This is akin to saying there's "no way" Starocci wins it this year if it hadn't been contest, or O'Connor wouldn't have won it because he lost to Ed Scott and then barely beat him.

A Cornell guy who was familiar with him Wrestled him close. How many NCs had close matches with guys who were Wrestling to not get beat this past year or any given year?

The only point I was initially making was that Princeton had a guy VERY recently who was competitive and a 3X AA in 3 trips, but people are really underselling him. He was a stud. He was the 2nd highest returner in that bracket and...AGAIN, he'd beaten the one guy who placed above him and had 4 or 5 wins vs the #1 seed(2 in 2019).

The next point I'll make is the transitive property is not applicable to Wrestling. Because you Wrestled one guy close doesn't mean...really anything when predicting how that Wrestler would wrestle against other Wrestlers.

This was Kolodzik's *seventh* match after having his ORS pulled.  His results in those six previous matches?  One INJ win, and three TFS and two MDs giving up exactly one point total.

I was at the match whose video you linked, so I saw the whole thing.  Even that abridged video shows Kolodzik in reverse in the third period (getting at least one stalling point).  He deserved *at least* one more stalling call which would have tied the match.

Hunter Richard had never faced him before, so not sure where that "familiarity" comes from.

I thought I mentioned that they wrestled twice.  The other was in the EIWA finals a month later, which Kolodzik won 4-3, giving up two stalling calls and one point at the end of the match.  In both matches, a month apart, Kolodzik was totally gassed in the third period.

21 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

This was Kolodzik's *seventh* match after having his ORS pulled.  His results in those six previous matches?  One INJ win, and three TFS and two MDs giving up exactly one point total.

I was at the match whose video you linked, so I saw the whole thing.  Even that abridged video shows Kolodzik in reverse in the third period (getting at least one stalling point).  He deserved *at least* one more stalling call which would have tied the match.

Hunter Richard had never faced him before, so not sure where that "familiarity" comes from.

I thought I mentioned that they wrestled twice.  The other was in the EIWA finals a month later, which Kolodzik won 4-3, giving up two stalling calls and one point at the end of the match.  In both matches, a month apart, Kolodzik was totally gassed in the third period.

No, it wasn't. He was unattached at the Edinboro Open, the first 5 matches of that season. He first wrestled the 8th vs Columbia and then wrestled Cornell on the 9th, weighing in back to back days for his first two matches of the year.

So not his first, his second, the first weekend...the point remains. 

They wrestled twice and Richard didn't score an offensive point in either match. Kolodzik dominated the action and...

And the familiarity comes into place because they're two guys...in the same conference and Kolodzik was a 3X AA at the time. Same as Brands and Starocci for example. I don't believe they've wrestled before. 

• Fire 1

You probably figured it out already...

At Princeton, a turnaround one man saw coming

How Chris Ayres brought Princeton wrestling its first national champion in 72 years

By
Josephine de La Bruyère
PublishedMonday 10:29AM

9bd273a9e1072d008fb9b00a6da31123.jpg

Chris Ayres and Princeton wrestling have arrived.

... but it's AYRES (it's an easy mistake for most to make anyway... )

cheers!

D3

On 4/12/2023 at 7:49 AM, Fletcher said:

How is Princeton getting its blue chip recruits thru admissions? They lower their standards slightly for athletes, but Princeton can't lower them any more than the other ivies, right?

The degree to which an Ivy lowers standards depends on the sport and donors behind it. 

4 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

The difference is the B10, B12, Pac12, etc almost universally let their athletes in. The Ivies do have fairly stringent academic standards in sports without ultra rich donors.  

'almost' is a synonym for 'not'

I hope you are not saying that the B1G, B12, and other conferences don't have any academic standards for athletes.  Are you saying that?

37 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

'almost' is a synonym for 'not'

I hope you are not saying that the B1G, B12, and other conferences don't have any academic standards for athletes.  Are you saying that?

They have to pass the NCAA Clearinghouse..If you are recruited for a B10, B12, ACC, Pac12 sport, you are almost always going to get in if you qualify. The same is not true for the Ivies, where many of the teams may give a slight advantage but still have stringent admission standards. But big donations have a significant impact on how ivies treat certain sports. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 8:42 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

https://deadspin.com/princeton-wrestling-chris-ayers-ncaa-champion-trenton-1850318558 Great article about a great guy and the amazing turnaround at Princeton …never realized he didn’t place in states in high school but won 120 matches and AAed at Lehigh 

All true... and people still spell his name incorrectly.