Spencer Lee has entered the US Open

bnwtwg

39 minutes ago, dragit said:

Another, lesser, example of that was Mr. Lee opining that ESPN shouldn't have shown the clip of Mrs. Lee breaking her glasses.  While I know that this was a difficult moment for the family and I'm sure they would have preferred that people not have used the clip in some of the ways it was used afterwards, it's just not realistic to think that ESP 

Excellent post. If I could pick a single nit, it would be over ESPN showing his mother. That was the time to show Ramos' family and their joy rather than Lee's family and their anguish. In addition to being unfair to the Lee's it was unfair to the Ramos'.

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Excellent post. If I could pick a single nit, it would be over ESPN showing his mother. That was the time to show Ramos' family and their joy rather than Lee's family and their anguish. In addition to being unfair to the Lee's it was unfair to the Ramos'.

100% agree that Ramos was at least as big a story as Lee, particularly in context, given the first match they had and then the way he finished the job this time -- and that the broadcast should have done more with that angle, including his parents if they were known to be in camera range.

And I'd personally prefer that they show zero or at least way less of the family reactions, in this and other sports.  It's absolutely brutal in tennis -- they show these guys' model girlfriends like they are playing the match or something.

But given the way that sports is covered today, I thought that was well within bounds.  The reality is that they are in the visual business and that was a powerful visual, and the families know they're on camera in a public place.  That all being said, though, Mr. Lee's emotion, particularly at the end of the interview, has got to make you feel for these loving parents.

• Fire 1

Just now, BigRedFan said:

Yianni's mom's fans would like a word...

(excellent post, by the way)

Yeah.  They can keep showing her.

Some of us might even prefer she get a little bit angry on screen.

We might like that.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Aren't you inviting more media scrutiny as a parent when you immediately request an interview like Spencer's dad just did? In the future is dad going to call Spencer's boss when he's not feeling well and can't make it to work? Is mom going to make sure he's wearing matching socks to his interview? Maybe it's time to cut the cord as Spencer is now a 24-year-old college graduate. 

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, d_jizzle_05 said:

Aren't you inviting more media scrutiny as a parent when you immediately request an interview like Spencer's dad just did? In the future is dad going to call Spencer's boss when he's not feeling well and can't make it to work? Is mom going to make sure he's wearing matching socks to his interview? Maybe it's time to cut the cord as Spencer is now a 24-year-old college graduate. 

Didn't the whole family relocate to Iowa when Spencer went off to college?  I agree, as a parent with a kid in college, there should be a balance between showing support and allowing independence.  

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

21 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Didn't the whole family relocate to Iowa when Spencer went off to college?  I agree, as a parent with a kid in college, there should be a balance between showing support and allowing independence.  

Yes.

Allegedly, dad had coincidentally been hired for a great job in Iowa, but hid the info from Spencer because he didn't want to influence his college decision. (If I remember correctly)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

I always wondered why spencer never did free while a student. I thought Brands was holding him back in favor of Gilman. But now I suspect that Spencer has never been healthy and I hope he takes a full year off to get his body right and rested

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes.

Allegedly, dad had coincidentally been hired for a great job in Iowa, but hid the info from Spencer because he didn't want to influence his college decision. (If I remember correctly)

That's right, Larry took a job at a small college about half an hour away from the University of Iowa and his twin sister ended up going to that college where her dad worked.

I agree that the media should leave the Lee family alone (and also Larry should mind his own business). Spencer's a big boy and can speak for himself.

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes.

You are saying Dad took job at Coe College on the off chance that Spencer would commit to Iowa? This is the story? 

11 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

You are saying Dad took job at Coe College on the off chance that Spencer would commit to Iowa? This is the story? 

No.  (I think) he supposedly took the job, but didn't want to tell Spencer that he was moving to Iowa, as that might have influenced Spencer's decision.  He theoretically wanted Spencer to make his own decision.

17 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

The dad job seems to happen a lot. Fix and Das Ringer at OSU.

Mocco's grown brother moved out to Iowa for the same reasun.  I assume he moved to OSU as well.  Not sure if he made the trek to Florida.

Ferrari family goes everywhere together.

Did the Morans all move to Oklahoma?

I'm sure there are plenty more.

55 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Mocco's grown brother moved out to Iowa for the same reasun.  I assume he moved to OSU as well.  Not sure if he made the trek to Florida.

Ferrari family goes everywhere together.

Did the Morans all move to Oklahoma?

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Youngest Mocco daughter, Colleen, also moved to Iowa City and graduated HS there before enrolling at Oklahoma State when Steve went there. 

• Fire 1

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

35 minutes ago, mspart said:

When we lived in HI, we had a local kid recruited to CAL.   Family moved there.   I thought that was odd.

mspart

Wish you'd called, I'd have been happy to house sit no charge.  

17 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

I feel his withdrawal from the tournament has more to do with the mentality displayed in this tweet than any physical hinderance at this point:

Yeah...I don't know. I know I felt what Chael said about EVERY Wrestler has that match that they wish they could do over or those two matches they wish they could go back and Wrestle(Even someone like Yianni would have Gomez and...Eierman I think). But losing a piece of your soul?

I really just think Spencer needs like 6 months of training at this point. I believe his knees are healthy. I don't believe his gas tank is full(because of the knees). I think he probably knew he couldn't beat Suriano. That he could jump out to a lead...but not hold onto it. 

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No.  (I think) he supposedly took the job, but didn't want to tell Spencer that he was moving to Iowa, as that might have influenced Spencer's decision.  He theoretically wanted Spencer to make his own decision.

It is what you are saying. Dad took job first, Spencer commits after that and without input from Dad.

• Fire 1