Proposed college wrestling rule changes

VakAttack

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10889313-ncaa-rules-committee-proposes-massive-changes

And there are a BUNCH of them.  3 point take downs, 3 nearfall points for a 3 count, no riding time point unless you get back points, changing the requirement of top wrestlers that they have to be working to turn/pin rather than just ride, removing the "no reaction time" rear standing TD....plus more!

Edited by VakAttack
  • Fire 1

Love almost all of this. The 3 point take down is long overdue. We'll no longer see tie matches where an escape and riding time equals a takedown, which often sent boring matches into OT.

Wish they had kept the 4 point near fall. I think we all understand there is a big difference between two seconds of exposure and four seconds of exposure. If a change was going to be made, why not just three points for a two second exposure so that takedowns and near falls earned the same reward?

The new riding time rule will be probably just turn some regular decisions into major decisions.

• Fire 2

22 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The 5 count for stalling starts when you touch the ankle, including when riding on top.

Stalrocci defiantly going to retire fosho now.

With the top rider having to attempt to turn the bottom wrestlers, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to just call stalling when the top wrestler isn’t actively pursuing a turn rather than have guys hook an ankle for 4 seconds, let go to avoid stall call, hook for 4 seconds, repeat…

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Gus said:

With the top rider having to attempt to turn the bottom wrestlers, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to just call stalling when the top wrestler isn’t actively pursuing a turn rather than have guys hook an ankle for 4 seconds, let go to avoid stall call, hook for 4 seconds, repeat…

Anyone who does that (what you're describing at the end) goes on my list of "guys to root against"

3 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Anyone who does that (what you're describing at the end) goes on my list of "guys to root against"

You also have guys like Tanner Sloan, Max Dean, etc that use a bow and arrow and are hooking an ankle to actively pursue a turn.

For the riding time rule, who determines when a “turn is attempted”? Is one attempted turn good enough to get riding time the rest of the match? Who tracks when a turn is attempted? I have so many questions about this rule and feel like it makes being a ref/table worker even more complex. I appreciate what they’re going for though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 1

Just now, poorwrestler said:

For the riding time rule, who determines when a “turn is attempted”? Is one attempted turn good enough to get riding time the rest of the match? Who tracks when a turn is attempted? I have so many questions about this rule and feel like it makes being a ref/table worker even more complex. I appreciate what they’re going for though.

I think it’s you have to get a turn

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I like the full beard rule proposal

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Should be interesting to see who grows the biggest beard.  Hopefully it's a 125 lber

Mike Zadick would like a do over.  

19 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Like them all. Not a huge fan of the beard rule, but I can see where it is necessary from a non-discrimination viewpoint.

Would still like to see the 1-point penalty for a lost challenge.

corrected previous post to state, "lost challenge"

• Fire 1

Wow! Great changes overall! This will be great for the sport. My only question is are they doing a 5 count for simply hooking the ankle/leg with your leg on top? I think that would be a little unfair to call that stalling but not if have a leg in… leg in is much move controlling and hard to get out of. 

• Fire 1