Proposed college wrestling rule changes

VakAttack

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Wow! Great changes overall! This will be great for the sport. My only question is are they doing a 5 count for simply hooking the ankle/leg with your leg on top? I think that would be a little unfair to call that stalling but not if have a leg in… leg in is much move controlling and hard to get out of. 

The wording in the article is grasping. Usually, but not necessarily exclusively, grasp means with the hand. So I was left wondering if grasp included hooking the ankle with the leg. Perhaps the proposed rule change uses clearer language.

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The wording in the article is grasping. Usually, but not necessarily exclusively, grasp means with the hand. So I was left wondering if grasp included hooking the ankle with the leg. Perhaps the proposed rule change uses clearer language.

I agree. I was a bit confused because the wording made it seem like it would be grasping with the hand, but CP mentioned you can’t sit on the ankle… I thought that would mean you can’t hook with your leg. 

4 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I agree. I was a bit confused because the wording made it seem like it would be grasping with the hand, but CP mentioned you can’t sit on the ankle… I thought that would mean you can’t hook with your leg. 

Does that include sitting on an Iowa ride where the ankle is tucked into the back of the knee?

“It puts an emphasis on risk and we need more risk. If you look at the numbers statistically, takedowns have gone down, backpoints have gone down, tech falls have gone down."

-- PROPOSAL X. Grant to Poeta, Ruth and IMAR four additional years of eligibility. Numbers back up!

What do you foresee with the new rules?

There will be a bunch of hairy cavemen. There are tons of lads starting their new beards today. 

Leg riding and bow and arrows just became the premium rides. Easy to twist somebody's upper torso to look like you're attempting near fall.

Fellows great at neutral get a big advantage, and recruiting will change. More "Takedown Tournaments"?

Nothing to stop the Gopher Choker?

New weigh-in rules benefit the bigger 125s, as if they didn't get a big enough benefit after the first round of tournaments.

Stalling. Why not refs with cattle prods? Or, refs allowed to be sarcastic? "Better move on the bottom, Nancy boy!"

All in all, I like the proposals, but would've liked to have seen a new sarcasm rule.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I'm really taken aback by how significant some of these changes are.  I think they are almost all very good.  But I am just surprised that so much progress is being attempted all at once.  Not opposed to it - just didn't expect it.

I'll offer a theory out of left field that they saw baseball, the National Pastime, realize it had to make fundamental changes, which are working, and took that as a message for a sport with similar problems in terms of an aging fan base.

• Fire 3

Just now, dragit said:

I'll offer a theory out of left field that they saw baseball, the National Pastime, realize it had to make fundamental changes, which are working, and took that as a message for a sport with similar problems in terms of an aging fan base.

Funny I have come back to watching baseball again in recent years and was thinking the same thing with the pitch clock and such.  

4 hours ago, BlacknGold said:

College wrestling is great the way it is. Let's just call it good

No it’s not. The NCAA tournament ratings were down big time this year, and there is an aging group of hardcore fans that are the main thing keeping it alive. Stalling and riding on top have increasingly become worse over the years. I’m a diehard wrestling fan and I’m bored watching mat wrestling. Leaving things the way they are will slowly kill our sport. We need to continue to make positive changes

I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer here, but you guys know this is my life … I will watch every level, every style and it’s to the point where if there’s a college hockey game on, I’ll watch that over most duals except the big ones. As a consumer on my own time, I want to also be entertained. I’m not actively reporting on things as they happen anymore so what am I watching in my free time? It’s becoming increasingly hard to just have wrestling on and be engaged in a lot of the product. Most of it now is just scanning results and going back to watch specific bouts that were eye-catching … when given a more exciting sports option, wrestling is going to have to do more things. And I love wrestling.

• Fire 7

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

these new rules might make the stall fest watchable...

obviously, the step out would be the most beneficial, but, this is clearly a step in the right direction...

good for the rules committee...

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LJB said:

these new rules might make the stall fest watchable...

obviously, the step out would be the most beneficial, but, this is clearly a step in the right direction...

good for the rules committee...

think I see what you did there...

ab67616d0000b2732bde84f31bf9f35307e7725c

• Haha 3

3 point takedown is idiotic. You’ve now made it easier to get one takedown and ride out and sit on a lead.

I don’t think it changes anything in that regard. If you are up by 3, you are only up by one takedown… doesn’t really change if a td is 2 or 3 pts. They are making it harder to ride without turning with other new rules, so it would be harder for a wrestler to ride out for a win
  • Fire 1

Do they ever try out these rules in live exhibition matches or tournaments? Seems silly to change the rules without first having an opportunity to see how they would operate in a real live match.

Sometimes ideas that seem great on paper have unintended consequences that you only see in a real world situation.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Fire 5