Proposed college wrestling rule changes

VakAttack

10 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

would love to see numbers on this.

it may or may not be true... im not sure... 

I don’t have time to look up all the data… maybe @Wrestleknownothing has a chart for us 🙂 ? But a quick search shows we are headed in the right direction 

https://uww.org/article/wrestling-enjoys-record-viewership-world-champs-108-athletes-qualify-spots-olympic-games

https://uww.org/article/wrestling-scores-big-world-cships-706-percent-jump-engagements 

So, what does the board think about Wade Schalles' 'a point scored is a point earned' philosophy?

Wade champions this format but I don’t believe he came up with it. I’m behind most of what he suggests with some simplistic twists. Kyle and Andy broke down the results-based outcomes a few years ago on their On The Mat podcast.

If “duals don’t matter” then what’s the harm in simply changing how the team score is totaled?
  • Fire 1

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

19 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Are people really having Super Bowl-esque watch parties for NCAA wrestling? Honestly, I gave up trying to watch it live due to how much of a pain in the ass it was. Ended up finding a YouTube channel that illegally posted the matches a couple of hours later. 

I was part of a contingent of about 25 people that reserved a couple tables to watch semis at a bar…. 

I know there were many others. Many a HS/Club programs do big watch parties. 

Edited by WrestlingRasta
  • Fire 3

5 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I was part of a contingent of about 25 people that reserved a couple tables to watch semis at a bar…. 

I know there were many others. Many a HS/Club programs do big watch parties. 

Sounds like a good time. Used to watch with the fam but being in the south these days, no chance of getting a group together like that. They call it "wrasslin". 

17 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

So, what does the board think about Wade Schalles' 'a point scored is a point earned' philosophy?

I prefer a compromise, where every point matters, utilizing a Margin of Victory formula, such that winning by 3 is worth a little more than winning by 1, and winning by 10 is worth a little more than a current major.  Hoping it increases action, especially late in the match.  Still 6 for a pin, 5 for a tech...but everything else is between 3.0 and 4.4, depending on your MOV (margin of victory).  OT win only 3, while a win by 14 is 4.4 (and a win by 8 is 3.8 etc).  We already use 1/2 points in tourney scoring, and with everything computerized, unsure why the fear of a decimal is so prevalent.  Gymnastics, diving and others use decimals.  One of the best benefits is essentially eliminating the dreaded dual meet tie-breaker.  Other proposed option to increase scoring is making the base win only 2 points, adding the margin of victory (0.1 to 1.4) and also adding the points scored by the winner (0.1 up to a max of 1.5 for scoring 15 or more---keeping the range from 2.2 to 4.9).  In this case, a 10-7 win is worth 3.3, while a 3-1 win is only 2.5.  Rewards action.  And would also prefer a forfeit being 7 or 8, but that is another debate.

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

I don’t hate an MOV style (we discussed on Mat Stats), but just no no no on decimals. That isn’t something I can ever come around on.

I have to agree.

Scorers already routinely have difficulty with whole numbers.

I can't imagine just how awful the update to the Trackwrestling software would end up being.

3 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

I don’t hate an MOV style (we discussed on Mat Stats), but just no no no on decimals. That isn’t something I can ever come around on.

How do you feel about centimeters & millimeters?

15 hours ago, DJT said:

Pin=30

Tech=25

Dec=10+MOV

… though a team with 3 wins by pin could win 90-77… but aren’t we looking to emphasize/reward scoring and pinning?

seems like a reasonable compromise to appease the decimalphobes.  only concern is modifying those bulb scoreboards on the walls of so many gyms that can only handle a "1" in the hundreds place (guess they never counted on hoopsters hitting 200), so the HS dual that ends up 210 to 205 could be tough to display.