Truax to Penn State

Pinnacle

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa must be shocked that $250,000 didn't get it done

I know you’re trolling but this is actually a legitimate question.

Of course the real question is did PSU offer anything close to that or do guys really just want to wrestle there that badly?

Edited by 1032004

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Of course the real question is did PSU offer anything close to that or do guys really just want to wrestle there that badly?

They put together a pretty decent package, but not in the $250,000 ballpark.

As a fan of the team race, this is disappointing.  I understand if from Bernie's perceptive and best of luck to him.  

LOL at anyone suggesting PSU didn't offer a financial package comparable to $250K.   That propaganda is only being pushed out there so the other 9 PSU starters don't expect a similar deal.

3 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

As a fan of the team race, this is disappointing.  I understand if from Bernie's perceptive and best of luck to him.  

LOL at anyone suggesting PSU didn't offer a financial package comparable to $250K.   That propaganda is only being pushed out there so the other 9 PSU starters don't expect a similar deal.

I believe they didn't offer anything close to $250k.  Truax only has 1 year left and his best finish is 4th.  He isn't some primo transfer who has 2-3 years left and is expected to be a title contender immediately like Real Woods.  I would offer Nagao more than I would offer Truax for the same reason...3 years eligible over 1 year is worth a lot of money.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I believe they didn't offer anything close to $250k.  Truax only has 1 year left and his best finish is 4th.  He isn't some primo transfer who has 2-3 years left and is expected to be a title contender immediately like Real Woods.  I would offer Nagao more than I would offer Truax for the same reason...3 years eligible over 1 year is worth a lot of money.

LOL.   - Offering any wrestler (a non revenue sport) $250K doesn't make sense so regardless of whether it make sense or not to offer $250K for 1 year, that is the market.   The only schools Bernie seemed to have interest in/take visit were the only schools with the wherewithal to offer a significant financial package.   Did he pick PSU for $25K less and the opportunity to join NWLC post college, maybe, was it 6 figures less, HAHAHA.   Maybe he really did pick PSU for the grad school too or he just likes the weather in State College better than Cali.  

Additional LOL for suggesting he is not an immediate title contender.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Even if Nagao was offered more and left, it wouldn't stop him from transferring to another school after next season. It's a mercenary's market.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Even if Nagao was offered more and left, it wouldn't stop him from transferring to another school after next season. It's a mercenary's market.

New portal transfer rules only allow one free transfer without sitting a year.  So eligibility (available RS or Olympic RS) will come into play.

I think it's best to recruit HS first.  Then larger shares of surplus NIL $ cab be reserved for first time transferees that fill a need weight  with enough eligibility to span the needs duration.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 2

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Would somebody explain to me like I'm five what these financial packages are that everyone is speculating about? Like, in general terms, where would the money come from, and for what purpose is the money being sent to an athlete?

Edited by peanut

27 minutes ago, peanut said:

Like, in general terms, where would the money come from, and for what purpose is the money being sent to an athlete?

All under the recent Name, Image, and Likeness rulings.  Athletes can be paid for doing work regardless that they are current participants in NCAA athletics.

The money comes from collectives formed outside of university scholarship programs that may or may not be formally affiliated or coordinated with the university.

People who are fans of the program give money to collectives to support athletes or specific sports teams.  Then these collective arrange activities for which the athlete does something of value for a payment.

Alternatively, local sponsors may contact an athlete outside of the collective framework and offer him payment for some commensurate obligation.

So some of the donor money that used to go to the university's general scholarship fund are now budgeted by donors where they more directly go to specific alhletes or sports.

There's a big University of Miami donor who has helped in the latter manner.

It's not in any way 'the university's money' that is being used.  However, there is a finite amount of donor money, so NIL with little to no athletic scholarship allows university scholarship money to be spent elsewhere.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, peanut said:

Would somebody explain to me like I'm five what these financial packages are that everyone is speculating about? Like, in general terms, where would the money come from, and for what purpose is the money being sent to an athlete?

Booster has $500k to burn, says I'd like to spend it to recruite kid X (or favorite coach's prospect), kid accepts, once on campus booster says if X comes to sign autographs at my 3 yr old's birthday party I'll give X the $500k.  Or maybe its $100k/yr so you gotta show up for the 3 yr to 8 yr party.  Even the three year old gets it. 

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

It is funny because around Penn State NIL is becoming a pretty big controversy. It was cited as the reason that Micah Shrewsberry left for Notre Dame. James Franklin has said that Penn State is years behind tOSU and Michigan as well as others in this category. What does this mean for wrestling, I don't know but I do know it is a pretty hot topic around Penn State supporting sports other than football.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Minnow said Truax weighed in at NCAA’s at 186 is that true?

I didn't see the weigh in for the NCAA, but earlier in the season this was discussed and a few people shared screen shots of his weigh ins in the upper 180's.  I am guessing he thought he had a better shot at a title at 197 rather than to go down to 184... because he certainly could have made it easily. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Minnow said Truax weighed in at NCAA’s at 186 is that true?

If Truax's in-season walk around weight is 186, is there any chance that he cuts to 174 so Starocci and Brooks can both bump up? I thought there were rumors that Carter couldn't make 174, assuming he even returns next year. Would also give Starocci a chance to grow into 86kg with all his talk about winning Olympic gold.

19 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

If Truax's in-season walk around weight is 186, is there any chance that he cuts to 174 so Starocci and Brooks can both bump up? I thought there were rumors that Carter couldn't make 174, assuming he even returns next year. Would also give Starocci a chance to grow into 86kg with all his talk about winning Olympic gold.

No rumors of Carter struggling to make 174. He plans to go 74 kg (163lbs) internationally. 

8 hours ago, Idaho said:

I didn't see the weigh in for the NCAA, but earlier in the season this was discussed and a few people shared screen shots of his weigh ins in the upper 180's.  I am guessing he thought he had a better shot at a title at 197 rather than to go down to 184... because he certainly could have made it easily. 

These were from collegiate duals, with the lighter one actually being from Day 2 weigh-ins.

I personally was shooting the shit in Tulsa with some of the Cal Poly squad and was told he 'weighed under 190 with his warmups on' one of the mornings.

Screenshots_2022-12-19-21-19-13.png.d618007095331ee242f654f70f2ce471.png.77446d6a68b1538d0d7c17d026e9e11b.pngScreenshots_2023-03-23-22-36-17.png.08735825b7e9ee5e9289217f63a647e7.png

Untitled.png.b445674eab5d894a7e3dbfb5e0743772.png

19 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Does that make Carl a warlord if he’s buying all the mercenaries?

i am an idiot on the internet

On 4/20/2023 at 7:40 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You don’t think Truax is an immediate title contender? That’s weird. Truax had a far more successful series of NCAA finishes prior to transfer than Woods(best finish was sixth) prior to his move to Iowa. Interesting comparison and conclusion.

6 minutes ago, MLB9 said:

You don’t think Truax is an immediate title contender? That’s weird. Truax had a far more successful series of NCAA finishes prior to transfer than Woods(best finish was sixth) prior to his move to Iowa. Interesting comparison and conclusion.

Real Woods had all 5 guys above him clear out. As the highest placing returnee, it was reasonable to consider him an immediate title contender.