Wow

lu_alum

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

My guess is:

1) This was premeditated and based on something that happened between them outside of wrestling (maybe a girl?)

Or...

2) this guy is mentally unstable and needs help

Its not the first time and I'd guess #2

Lock him up in big boy jail. Human waste. Lifetime ban. This display of anti-social behavior is almost never cured, or rehabilitated. Of course he’s mentally “unstable”, problem is, our society absolutely sucks at stabilizing people this far down the road of delinquency. 

Yes, that is OPRF's main gym/field house and mat. BTS Chicago does many events there, as their CEO is an alum of OPRF, as well as having taught and coached at the school for years. He maintains close ties with the school.

News report in Chicago media states that the boy who was punched suffered a deviated septum from that punch.

SPAR kids are trained to wrestle hard, and my guess is the kid who threw the punch took umbrage with that.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Formally140 said:

There’s a lot more of less well known cases of this happening I’ve been seeing more and more of lately. Parents and kids think anytime they or theirs lost they got “cheated”

If he got cheated it must have been pretty bad because the match was 14-2.

• Fire 2

i have worried about this for years... my son had a kid threaten him with a gang sign and such after a match in college... i was down in the mat area the rest of the tourney just in case, and made sure i went to the locker area when my son was done and made sure he went with teammates so he didn't get attacked in the shower

Minnow has actually gotten quite a bit of heat over posting this.  People asking why he is sharing an underage kid's name so publicly.

Honestly, at that age in today's world?  You sneak someone like that after getting handled and you deserve whatever backlash you get.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, Formally140 said:

They “feel” cheated

Oh I understand what you said.  I just think he felt humiliated by taking an ass kicking on the mat.  Not cheated, embarrassed and couldn’t deal with it properly in the moment.  Emotions run high in the heat of battle.

• Fire 1

I'm torn between wanting to throw the book at the kid and giving him a chance for redemption.  If my own son got assaulted like that, I would be livid.  If my own son threw that punch, I would be livid, but would want a chance for him to own the consequences and work through an improvement process that would lead to changed behavior, ultimately leading to an earned second chance.  

• Fire 6

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

37 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I'm torn between wanting to throw the book at the kid and giving him a chance for redemption.  If my own son got assaulted like that, I would be livid.  If my own son threw that punch, I would be livid, but would want a chance for him to own the consequences and work through an improvement process that would lead to changed behavior, ultimately leading to an earned second chance.  

Owning the consequences should be a USAW lifetime ban. Own that. 

39 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Maybe a 1 year suspension from the sport and permanent suspension if repeated? I also read parents pressing charges, think that's fair. The match was over and can be considered a crime

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Minnow has actually gotten quite a bit of heat over posting this.  People asking why he is sharing an underage kid's name so publicly.

Honestly, at that age in today's world?  You sneak someone like that after getting handled and you deserve whatever backlash you get.

Not to defend the fishman, but the NY Post published the names of both kids in an article yesterday.

Owning the consequences should be a USAW lifetime ban. Own that. 

Maybe an age-group ban. Wrestling can save a lot of kids who need it. Kid still has a lot of years ahead of him. Sounds like he could use some real lessons. Agree with pretty much all of jchapman’s assessment here. He’s what, 14-15? Lotta time to right the ship, but under close, very close watch
  • Fire 4

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

3 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Horrible.  That’s a coward move, especially when the other person has their hand out to shake.

On the other hand looks as the kid who threw the punch might want to make a change in sport and take up either mma or boxing.

I doubt it.

They punch back there.

• Haha 1