When do ADs start negotiating an NIL detente?

Powershouse

NIL $$$ isn't just cherry-picking wrestlers off our favorite teams rosters, it is taking money out of AD's pockets. I have to believe that a lot - probably the large majority - of NIL funds would otherwise have been contributed school's athletic programs. Which means it is putting ADs in a bind. More so than coaches ADs have fund raising responsibilities defined in their contracts. Suddenly Bubba the longtime and reliable contributor to meeting an AD's fund raising goal can spend his money directly, sprinkling it about to choose players like a fantasy football team owner. Bubba gets to wield his influence directly with his favorite team/player without having to go through the AD. The AD is seeing his fund raising goals become harder to meet and getting called on the carpet by the Regents.

I'm thinking that this is where the pushback to the NIL/Portal chaos is going to come from. ADs will put the heat on the conferences which will bring the heat back to the NCAA. As much as the NCAA is taking a hands-off stance to NIL you better believe that they want their cut of that $$$, so you know that they have been scheming in Indianapolis. I don't know what form it wil take but we will see the powers that be act to maintain that power soon.

Sounds anticompetitive and a violation of antitrust and other legal protections of the student athletes.  NCAA athletes had to sue to get these rights  and only after years NCAA schools reaping the economic rewards of student athletes.   

• Fire 3

I think Saban would be happy with that.   I don't think the transfer portal is such a bad thing.   But NIL is not going to end well.  

This example is from pro sports so not really the same but the situation could be similar.   In the 2000s, Mariners franchise player Ken Griffey Jr was being paid a lot while other players on the team suffered with lower salaries.   They said fine, if Griffey gets that much money, he can win the ball games for us.  Well as you can imagine, that didn't last too long.  Griffey was traded but even as great a guy as he was, there was a lot of resentment which ruined the team.   You might say the same for Russel Wilson.   Got traded from Seattle to Denver and was paid a mint.   His numbers just weren't there either because he didn't want to or the team felt like he was supposed to save them so they let him and he failed.  

One person can't do it alone and the resentment from others not so fortunate can create things that were not anticipated.   I'm not saying the above is true and factual, but something to think about with regard to NIL money because only some get that, not everyone. 

mspart

It has always been my understanding that it is not illegal to "be" a monopoly, but it is illegal to exercise monopoly power.  If you're a D1 school, is there a legitimate alternative to the NCAA?  Could you really go it alone somehow?  I think not.  The problem with NIL is that the NCAA got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.  What they were doing was wrong, period.  But of all the possible solutions, an infinity of potential solutions really, I think NIL is among the worst and will prove to be just that.  Just one notch above hand in cookie jar.  If I had my way, no student athletes in the money sports would even get tuition reduced let alone NIL.  Go to the pros if you want to make money, go to college if you want an education.  I'm sure this post will defy the sensibilities of many, but I don't care, I know I'm right.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:09 PM, Not134 said:

It has always been my understanding that it is not illegal to "be" a monopoly, but it is illegal to exercise monopoly power.  If you're a D1 school, is there a legitimate alternative to the NCAA?  Could you really go it alone somehow?  I think not.  The problem with NIL is that the NCAA got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.  What they were doing was wrong, period.  But of all the possible solutions, an infinity of potential solutions really, I think NIL is among the worst and will prove to be just that.  Just one notch above hand in cookie jar.  If I had my way, no student athletes in the money sports would even get tuition reduced let alone NIL.  Go to the pros if you want to make money, go to college if you want an education.  I'm sure this post will defy the sensibilities of many, but I don't care, I know I'm right.

If a non-athlete student (say, a student who is a comedian, model, video game player, etc.) is allowed to profit on his/her NIL, so should a student-athlete… or should expel that kid who gets sponsors for his YouTube stand-up gig, because he wants to make money while getting an education?

• Fire 1

Now all of those boosters can legitimately pay the student athletes.  There may come a time when some schools forego the scholarships and ask the athlete to pay the tuition and expenses, but not any time soon.  The NCAA recently renegotiated its TV contracts so school share of the revenue will be increasing., but it won't help the Div II schools that are not televised.  The conferences will be looking to increase the TV revenue for 2nd tier TV contracts as a means of making up some of the short fall

7 hours ago, DJT said:

If a non-athlete student (say, a student who is a comedian, model, video game player, etc.) is allowed to profit on his/her NIL, so should a student-athlete… or should expel that kid who gets sponsors for his YouTube stand-up gig, because he wants to make money while getting an education?

Agree.  But the argument is moreso that these recent offers are not really based on the kid’s “NIL” if they are dependent on attending a certain school.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Agree.  But the argument is moreso that these recent offers are not really based on the kid’s “NIL” if they are dependent on attending a certain school.

That kid isn’t getting paid as much without their content being monetized on YouTube or Instagram.

The value of Name, Image, and Likeness is about placement. Of course a Miami booster is only going to play that 5-star recruit if they play at Miami — the booster’s value is focused on Miami!

36 minutes ago, moodybooty said:

That kid isn’t getting paid as much without their content being monetized on YouTube or Instagram.

The value of Name, Image, and Likeness is about placement. Of course a Miami booster is only going to play that 5-star recruit if they play at Miami — the booster’s value is focused on Miami!

But read the NCAA info on boosters, not how its supposed to (allowed) to work yet we all knew this is what would happen.  Only the rich can compete.  😞

41 minutes ago, ionel said:

But read the NCAA info on boosters, not how its supposed to (allowed) to work yet we all knew this is what would happen.  Only the rich can compete.  😞

It’s no different than before. Drexel still can’t offer everything that Ohio State will.

Before, it was 5 pairs of Nike shoes, a smoothie bar, and a hot tub that would be the boosters’ difference. Now, it’s all of that, and a cash percentage off every Wings Over sale that uses code RBY10 for 10% on your next Takeout order.

13 hours ago, DJT said:

When a non-athlete does it (like you describe), they do so on their own with no university affiliation.  Their university doesn't help them find/get NIL deals for them in an effort to get them to attend/stay at their university and play a sport.  Like it or not, universities don't exist for their student athletes and people would do well to remember that.

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, Not134 said:

When a non-athlete does it (like you describe), they do so on their own with no university affiliation.  Their university doesn't help them find/get NIL deals for them in an effort to get them to attend/stay at their university and play a sport.  Like it or not, universities don't exist for their student athletes and people would do well to remember that.

None of the schools have television contracts to show the non-athletes going to class, either.

It is a two way street after decades of it being a one way street.

• Fire 1

Wait just a second, you asshats.  Why the hell is Desanto negotiating jack shit?  WTF qualifies Mr. Kimura?

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

23 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

None of the schools have television contracts to show the non-athletes going to class, either.

It is a two way street after decades of it being a one way street.

I'm confused.  Which way am I supposed to go?

On 4/21/2023 at 4:06 PM, Powershouse said:

NIL $$$ isn't just cherry-picking wrestlers off our favorite teams rosters, it is taking money out of AD's pockets. I have to believe that a lot - probably the large majority - of NIL funds would otherwise have been contributed school's athletic programs. Which means it is putting ADs in a bind. More so than coaches ADs have fund raising responsibilities defined in their contracts. Suddenly Bubba the longtime and reliable contributor to meeting an AD's fund raising goal can spend his money directly, sprinkling it about to choose players like a fantasy football team owner. Bubba gets to wield his influence directly with his favorite team/player without having to go through the AD. The AD is seeing his fund raising goals become harder to meet and getting called on the carpet by the Regents.

This is also why women's wrestling is dead. and probably other sports (of both genders) as well going forward. 

Snow removal businesses are very real.