This is just getting ridiculous

Eagle26

6 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

It's your homework when you're the one providing the info.  Anyways thanks for the links

You're welcome. Are you now ready to admit that Gable and Iowa didn't stockpile the nation's top high school talent? Who's the one living with "fever pitch delusions" again?

Edited by Jamie_Taco

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I'm just here to see if Royce was a top ranked recruit.

Again, he was not. Royce graduated in 1983 from Lisbon High School and didn't even make the OTHER ALL-AMERICA SELECTIONS let alone the DREAM TEAM. Pretty cool to see John Smith on there though!

https://www.wrestlingusa.com/high-school/ewExternalFiles/1983 High School All-Americans.pdf

Edited by Jamie_Taco
  • Fire 1

Also, I have to correct something from earlier. I said there were seven 4x Iowa champs prior to Royce's HS days, but I was mistaken about his graduating year. There would have only been five 4xers prior to 1983 (Bob Steenlage, Jeff Kerber, Scott Morningstar, Joe Gibbons, Greg Randall).

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Again, he was not. Royce graduated in 1983 from Lisbon High School and didn't even make the OTHER ALL-AMERICA SELECTIONS let alone the DREAM TEAM. Pretty cool to see John Smith on there though!

https://www.wrestlingusa.com/high-school/ewExternalFiles/1983 High School All-Americans.pdf

Porta, you are supposed to be on odd hours, it's now even!  Oh ... I should have mentioned I'm central time zone, sorry.  

Screenshot_20230423-121454_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Guess how many #1 recruiting classes Gable had during his Iowa career? Oh shoot, I will just tell you. One. He had one top recruiting class while coaching at Iowa, but you guys are right, they were stockpiling all the best recruits just like Cael LOL.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

So who had all the #1 classes, can you list for us by year?  Thanks.

So you aren't going to tell us are you?  😞

• Fire 1

@ionelCBUS. Get On It. :classic_dry:

WRESTLING USA MAGAZINE OHIO HIGH SCHOOL All-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME

1999 – Tommy Rowlands (Columbus Bishop Ready)

1988 – Adam DiSabato (Columbus Bishop Ready)
1987 -- Ken Ramsey (Columbus Bishop Ready)

1985 -- Jeff “Bubba” Strauss (Lakewood St. Edward)
1985 -- Greg Goad (Oak Harbor)
1985 -- Tim Moxley (Barnesville)
1983 -- Eric Woodland (Columbus Bishop Ready)
1983 -- Jeff Jordan (St. Paris Graham)
1983 -- Joe Ghezzi (Columbus Bishop Watterson)
1983 -- Mike Davies (Chardon)
1982 -- Scott Duncan (Marion Pleasant)
1981 -- Jamey Kasser (Summit Station Licking Heights) *
1981 -- Paul Bartolone (Cleveland Cleveland St. Joseph)
1980 -- Dane Tussel (Macedonia Nordonia)
1979 -- Mark Zimmer (Columbus DeSales)
1979 -- Joe East (Columbus Grove City)
1977 -- Phil Anglim (Columbus Bishop Watterson)
1976 -- Mike DeAnna (Bay Village) 

*Too close not to count. 

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

@ionelCBUS. Get On It. :classic_dry:

WRESTLING USA MAGAZINE OHIO HIGH SCHOOL All-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME

1999 – Tommy Rowlands (Columbus Bishop Ready)

1988 – Adam DiSabato (Columbus Bishop Ready)
1987 -- Ken Ramsey (Columbus Bishop Ready)

1985 -- Jeff “Bubba” Strauss (Lakewood St. Edward)
1985 -- Greg Goad (Oak Harbor)
1985 -- Tim Moxley (Barnesville)
1983 -- Eric Woodland (Columbus Bishop Ready)
1983 -- Jeff Jordan (St. Paris Graham)
1983 -- Joe Ghezzi (Columbus Bishop Watterson)
1983 -- Mike Davies (Chardon)
1982 -- Scott Duncan (Marion Pleasant)
1981 -- Jamey Kasser (Summit Station Licking Heights) *
1981 -- Paul Bartolone (Cleveland Cleveland St. Joseph)
1980 -- Dane Tussel (Macedonia Nordonia)
1979 -- Mark Zimmer (Columbus DeSales)
1979 -- Joe East (Columbus Grove City)
1977 -- Phil Anglim (Columbus Bishop Watterson)
1976 -- Mike DeAnna (Bay Village) 

*Too close not to count. 

If those guys were all on one bus I would've expected that bus to finish first.

BTW: was going to have tacos for lunch, got disgusted and having omelet instead.  😋 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

You're welcome. Are you now ready to admit that Gable and Iowa didn't stockpile the nation's top high school talent? Who's the one living with "fever pitch delusions" again?

No, because Gable did stockpile the nation's top high school recruits.  I'll make my points in hoping we'll come to a general agreement but I highly doubt it.

1)  In terms of Royce Alger not being a top ranked recruit it's a failure of the wrestling media at that time.  It's unfair to cast total blame on wrestling media  during that era due to them not having the resources that Flo, @Husker_Duetc benefit from in this modern era.  By any metric, a 3x Iowa state champ and JR national title winner is a top 10 recruit.  

2) You're conveniently omitting or do not know that for years Gable gave extra scholarships.  Above the allotted amount allowed by the NCAA's which led to him eventually being sanctioned.  To be fair, other Big 10 schools were also doing it but Iowa wrestling egregiously went over the allowed allotment which was proven in a report I will provide for you.  Yes, Gable was stockpiling wrestlers. https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=101820  I dont blame Gable for doing this but he was gaming the system.  AND he stockpiled wrestlers

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

4 minutes ago, Caveira said:

So and so was top 10 because of the media’s failure is such a good argument.   I guess it’s all subjective after all.  

No its not all subjective.  Wrestling sports media today vs the 1980s has far greater tools to correctly rank HS wrestlers.  What a far fetched concept

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

39 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

No, because Gable did stockpile the nation's top high school recruits.  I'll make my points in hoping we'll come to a general agreement but I highly doubt it.

1)  In terms of Royce Alger not being a top ranked recruit it's a failure of the wrestling media at that time.  It's unfair to cast total blame on wrestling media  during that era due to them not having the resources that Flo, @Husker_Duetc benefit from in this modern era.  By any metric, a 3x Iowa state champ and JR national title winner is a top 10 recruit.  

2) You're conveniently omitting or do not know that for years Gable gave extra scholarships.  Above the allotted amount allowed by the NCAA's which led to him eventually being sanctioned.  To be fair, other Big 10 schools were also doing it but Iowa wrestling egregiously went over the allowed allotment which was proven in a report I will provide for you.  Yes, Gable was stockpiling wrestlers. https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=101820  I dont blame Gable for doing this but he was gaming the system.  AND he stockpiled wrestlers

LOL dude. Even with the facts presented, you just can't admit you're wrong.

So Gable, without Flo and the internet, was somehow able to get all over the country and find the top guys that the media and other programs just didn't know about or didn't rank correctly? Is that really the argument you're trying to make here?

Also, egregiously?! You realize it came out to like 1.25 extra scholarships per year from 1987-1990, right?

“The powerhouse Iowa wrestling program reportedly was five scholarships over the limit during the period.”

And since Gable only signed 11 top-ranked kids in those 15 years in question, I think it's pretty obvious those extra scholarships weren't being used to stockpile the nation's best HS recruits.

Again, one person here is providing the facts. The other is providing their own personal opinions and hindsight.

Edited by Jamie_Taco

41 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Yes, Gable was stockpiling

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

I think it's pretty obvious those extra scholarships were being used to stockpile the nation's best HS recruits.

Aren't you two saying the same thing here?:classic_huh:

Just now, MPhillips said:

Aren't you two saying the same thing here?:classic_huh:

No, my comment had a typo that I already edited 30 seconds after I posted it lol:

I think it's pretty obvious those extra scholarships weren't being used to stockpile the nation's best HS recruits.

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

No its not all subjective.  Wrestling sports media today vs the 1980s has far greater tools to correctly rank HS wrestlers.  What a far fetched concept

That argument simply means you can subjectively make up whatever you want and be right.