Former Penn State starter / current Penn coach spills about Cael

Jimmy Cinnabon

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, scourge165 said:

"Spills?" Doesn't that generally refer to gossip and something with negative connotations?

He said he changed the culture, they focused more on Wrestling and then talked about some things they did at practice...

As a boss I had once said, after I asked him about his presentation after a meeting with a prospective client where he described all sorts of stuff that our firm didn't actually offer - 

"Don't confuse marketing with implementation."

That's the JC schtick.  

27 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

How does his topic relate to Spencer Lee?

22 minutes ago, ionel said:

IDK but Jimmy clearly spilled something so most likely related to Spencer.

Shocked Jimmy hasn't posted this video yet of Vito Arujua trashing Spencer Lee

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

The "secret" isn't hard to figure out if you have half a brain.

Their technique is not exponentially better than the others.
Their conditioning is not exponentially better than the others.

The difference is how they approach the sport and the mindset they have developed from the top(coaches) down(athletes). Someone compared Cael talking about wrestling to Spencer Lee on Twitter. Cael was relaxed saying that wrestling is a game and he likes to play games. Spencer basically said winning and losing is like life or death. To the Penn State wrestlers winning or losing doesn't define them and that is the biggest difference. Why are they able to reverse so many losses from Big Tens? It's mainly because of the mindset and how they view the sport.

The thing is Tom and Terry could never implement this type of mindset, that's not how they are wired. Add in many other coaches that are of the Iowa style and old school mentality.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, BobDole said:

The difference is how they approach the sport and the mindset they have developed from the top(coaches) down(athletes). Someone compared Cael talking about wrestling to Spencer Lee on Twitter. Cael was relaxed saying that wrestling is a game and he likes to play games. Spencer basically said winning and losing is like life or death. To the Penn State wrestlers winning or losing doesn't define them and that is the biggest difference. Why are they able to reverse so many losses from Big Tens? It's mainly because of the mindset and how they view the sport.

The thing is Tom and Terry could never implement this type of mindset, that's not how they are wired. Add in many other coaches that are of the Iowa style and old school mentality.

Well I guess every NCAA DI wrestling coach only has 1/2 brain because the secret has yet to be figured out or stopped. I am not sure Carter Starocci fits into your narrative of the typical Penn State wrestler 

12 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Well sure ... but if you want a guy to run thru a brick wall do you want a guy who likes playing games or a guy who views it as life or death?  🤔

If only the NCAA gave out brick wall trophies.  

11 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Well I guess every NCAA DI wrestling coach only has 1/2 brain because the secret has yet to be figured out or stopped. I am not sure Carter Starocci fits into your narrative of the typical Penn State wrestler 

Most, if not all, DI coaches know what goes on in the room, just are too hard headed to implement changes as they claim Penn State only does it due to the recruits they get. As I stated the Brands brothers could never implement that type of demeanor and mindset in their room. Listen to the top coaches and wrestlers talk, the Penn State guys talk about the sport in a different manner. Their mindset is the biggest difference when you compare them to others. 

32 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

One of the other points Cael Sanderson has made recently is that he has had to adjust to the wrestlers and treat them differently because they are all different.

Another point I have heard him make on two occasions is sometimes the best thing to do is just get out of their way and let them succeed.

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

One of the other points Cael Sanderson has made recently is that he has had to adjust to the wrestlers and treat them differently because they are all different.

Another point I have heard him make on two occasions is sometimes the best thing to do is just get out of their way and let them succeed.

Let me see if I got this right, So your saying the boot camp military style doesn't work with most wrestlers anymore? Imagine that!!! 

22 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Tom and Terry just want to have fun.    This has always made me cringe.   

I'll defer to Vak.  If he says this meets the legal definition and will hold up in court then I'll say it looks like fun🙂