Mineo reporting on Twitter: Nagao to Iowa

Jimmy Cinnabon

1 hour ago, RandolphTJones said:

I have no idea how much money Angelo Ferrari is looking at to receive in terms of his recruitment. I would be surprised if Iowa gives $100K+ to Nagao just to out bid Penn St. When he does officially transfer and where, I would have strong interest in how much he received by said school. 

Who knows maybe he is going somewhere he just has interest in and there isn't alot of NIL dough on the table. We will see. 

Of course they should compete with PSU but is throwing around big money (as reported) the smart way to do it when you have zero chance at beating them next year? 

Well, considering Iowa has money to throw around, yes, I think it makes sense. What else do you think they should use the money over a returning AA with three years of eligibility at a much needed weight? This basically negates the loss of Jesuroga, as Ayala and Nagao can man 125/133 for the next 3 years.

Also, I am not going to believe the Nagao thing until it's official. Pretty sure he still has a trip left, no?

Edited by Jamie_Taco
  • Fire 1

NIL is just awful for wrestling parody in general.   When there are scholarship limits teams can just offer a bag to maje up for it.  Yes, I know everyone can do it but large bags are really only going to be happening at two places and then a huge drop off.  

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Royalfan said:

NIL is just awful for wrestling parody in general.   When there are scholarship limits teams can just offer a bag to maje up for it.  Yes, I know everyone can do it but large bags are really only going to be happening at two places and then a huge drop off.  

Wrestling parody?

image.jpeg.6f433d7f70edd655d2761db77e18a925.jpeg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Royalfan said:

I disagree that large NIL payments are only going to be happening at two places. All it takes is one very wealthy, very interested alum to make it happen. Or a whole lot of not wealthy alumni. Every school has at least one very wealthy alum. The key then becomes getting them interested. It is obviously easier to do that where there is already a high degree of success (PSU and Iowa), but what prevents storied programs like Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Iowa State, or Oklahoma, who have massive alumni networks, or more recent up and comers like Missouri and Cornell, also with huge networks, from equaling or surpassing PSU or Iowa? It can happen if someone has the will and ability to make it happen.

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I'm only slightly kidding, as I think he and Ayala beats Nagao in a wrestle-off.

Teske went 1-2 at the national tournament as a junior, Nagao placed 5th as a freshman AA... Teske is a tough kid but I think Nagao wins that matchup quite easily 

Nagao will be greatly effected by the new rules, imo. He’s a great rider, not necessarily a turner. Relies on phenomenal neutral defense and scrambling a lot. He’s still a very good wrestler who anyone should want in their room though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I disagree that large NIL payments are only going to be happening at two places. All it takes is one very wealthy, very interested alum to make it happen. Or a whole lot of not wealthy alumni. Every school has at least one very wealthy alum. The key then becomes getting them interested. It is obviously easier to do that where there is already a high degree of success (PSU and Iowa), but what prevents storied programs like Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Iowa State, or Oklahoma, who have massive alumni networks, or more recent up and comers like Missouri and Cornell, also with huge networks, from equaling or surpassing PSU or Iowa? It can happen if someone has the will and ability to make it happen.

So maybe it is eventually will be three or four schools.  It is still horrific for the sport for those that enjoyed some level of parity.  Scholarship limits previously handled it.  That no longer works.  It essentially is giving the blue bloods of the sport unlimited scholarships.  

Exactly, the potential new rules will be trouble for Nagao. I have faith in Teskee and think he cashes in on the year he's banked in the Hawkeye room and finally settles into the weight. He's a lot better on his feet than we've seen, and better than Nagao from neutral. Just my 2 cents.

18 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Nagao will be greatly effected by the new rules, imo. He’s a great rider, not necessarily a turner. Relies on phenomenal neutral defense and scrambling a lot. He’s still a very good wrestler who anyone should want in their room though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now if only there were someone in Iowa City who can teach him a solid turn and pinning combo to go with his riding. Real certainly picked it up quickly.

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Teske went 1-2 at the national tournament as a junior, Nagao placed 5th as a freshman AA... Teske is a tough kid but I think Nagao wins that matchup quite easily 

What's interesting is that Teske was ranked higher then Nagao all season, until March (by Flo).  I don't think he was above around 15 until March.  One good post-season will get you offers I guess.  I have to wonder how guaranteed these cash offers are if injuries, or drop in performance occurs?  Is the entire "bag" paid upfront or is part of it contingent on results?

Edited by MNRodent

Just now, MNRodent said:

What's interesting is that Teske was ranked higher then Nagao all season, until March (by Flo).  I don't think he was above around 15 until March.  I good post-season will get you offers I guess.  I have to wonder how guaranteed these cash offers are if injuries, or drop in performance occurs?  Is the entire "bag" paid upfront or is part of it contingent on results?

I believe NILs are contracts, so it depends on the language of the agreement.

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I believe NILs are contracts, so it depends on the language of the agreement.

If so, I hope that at some point, these will be required to be made public.

Will teams need to have new recruits out of high school to sign a contract (beyond typical NLI) to prevent poaching?

5 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Exactly, the potential new rules will be trouble for Nagao. I have faith in Teskee and think he cashes in on the year he's banked in the Hawkeye room and finally settles into the weight. He's a lot better on his feet than we've seen, and better than Nagao from neutral. Just my 2 cents.

If Nagao ends up in Iowa City and gets beat out by Teske, it's a good problem to have. I would bet good money that's not what happens though. Nagao has a higher ceiling and two more years of eligibility compared to Brody. It's a no-brainer to take him in if he wants to be a Hawkeye.

The 2024 and 2025 lineup could look something like..

125: Ayala

133: Nagao

141: Block / Rathjen / Transfer?

149: Chittum

157: Ferarri

165: Kennedy

174: Arnold

184: Ferarri

197: Ferarri

HWT: Keuter

PSU is dominating right now but that's a very salty lineup that would have a chance imo.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

If so, I hope that at some point, these will be required to be made public.

Will teams need to have new recruits out of high school to sign a contract (beyond typical NLI) to prevent poaching?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. It's not an issue right now because a kid would lose eligibility and have to stay at a school for the year if they back out of their NLI and they don't get a release waiver. I guess an NIL could be so lucrative that someone with an NLI is poached, but I don't see that happening in wrestling and I don't see a sponsor buying a year of "nothing"

29 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Now if only there were someone in Iowa City who can teach him a solid turn and pinning combo to go with his riding. Real certainly picked it up quickly.

Nagao is a leg rider, not a tilter.  Zain Retherford would be a much better fit for teaching him how to turn guys with legs than Spencer Lee.

33 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

What's interesting is that Teske was ranked higher then Nagao all season, until March (by Flo).  I don't think he was above around 15 until March.  One good post-season will get you offers I guess.  I have to wonder how guaranteed these cash offers are if injuries, or drop in performance occurs?  Is the entire "bag" paid upfront or is part of it contingent on results?

You have an excellent memory

image.png.f1d68f0a3874966219580d3272fe72ea.png

• Fire 1

Teske will be a 6th year senior who has yet to AA and had his worst NCAA tournament up at 133 after finishing 7th at B1Gs

Nagao finished 5th in his first NCAA tournament in the same 133 bracket and was 2nd at B1Gs.   He also beat Mendez at both the B1G tournament and NCAA tournament. 

No one knows what will happen but I can certainly see the appeal of recruiting Nagao over Teske. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

PSU is dominating right now but that's a very salty lineup that would have a chance imo.

Iowa 2024 with Nagao and AJ

125 Ayala

133 Nagao*/Teske

141 Woods

149 Siebrecht/Rathjen

157 Chittum/Ferrari

165 Kennedy

174 Brands

184 Arnold/Assad

197 Ferrari*/Glazier/Franklin

285- Cassioppi

Redshirt: Kale Peterson, Ryder Block,  Koye Grebel, Anthony Ferrari, Ben Kueter

2025: add Angello Ferrari, plus potential transfer....

Result: Juggernaut.

Give it another year or 2, there will be 3-5 juggernauts is my prediction. Powerhouse programs like OKS, OHS, Nebraska, NC State are all going to get better as big name transfers continue to be a common occurrence in the offseason

3 hours ago, Royalfan said:

So maybe it is eventually will be three or four schools.  It is still horrific for the sport for those that enjoyed some level of parity.  Scholarship limits previously handled it.  That no longer works.  It essentially is giving the blue bloods of the sport unlimited scholarships.  

This is the truth. It also gets discouraging as a coach because people who weren’t willing to coach someone up are coming in and stealing their kids

• Fire 2