Greatest 3xer of the Wrestlestat era

10 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Thanks.  And now if you eliminate some the double counting of rows in normalized spreadsheet how much more of a gap between low and high happens for Nolf, Nickal, and Retherford.  And how much would Spencer improve?

Lowest number being better, using that method, I am going to go Nolf, NIckal, Retherford, then TBD.

I had a feeling Spencer would look better.

image.png.abeeba2dc9a5d43bcf629c00ebb98466.png

Spencer Lee hopscotches Bo Nickal, but it gets more so for Jason Nolf.

What would you eliminate?

One other thing I failed to explain is the rank stats.

These are the average wrestlestat ranks of the opponents that each wrestler pinfell, TF'ed, and MD'ed. A lower average value means that the wrestler beat tougher competition, in the sense that WrestleStat has/had the competition ranked higher. For example, Spencer Lee pinned guys with an average rank of 50 while Kyle Snyder was pinning lower ranked competition.

The good news is that no one can argue with WrestleStat rankings.

2 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

He lost 4-8 to St. John early in year , Lost 2-3 to  St. John in NCAA I cant find his 3rd loss give me another minute, No TFS 

Mizzou kid? Lewis? vague recall....

Edited by 11986

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What would you eliminate?

I would probably delete the % sum (% bonus of all matches), because it is derivative of prior rows.

When weighting, I probably wouldn't weight Average Pin or TF time very much.  Some of that may depend too much on the coaches strategy for what he wants the wrestler to work on, or the weakness of the particular opponents who were Pinfalled or TFed.

I have to read the meaning of the Average win-type rank, because I'm not sure weather that was already covered.  Without reading, I would probably delete them.

I might also change tourney points to average tourney finish (so not to again value Pinfall & TF & MD).

Then I would delete lowest Tournament finish, since it would already be covered in average tournament finish.  If one DNQ or place, shove lowest round placement eliminated (12, 16, 33).

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

These are the average wrestlestat ranks of the opponents that each wrestler pinfell, TF'ed, and MD'ed. A lower average value means that the wrestler beat tougher competition, in the sense that WrestleStat has/had the competition ranked higher.

See I didn't read this earlier.  Maybe you addressed my question.  Regardless, I probably wouldn't weight this as high.  Styles not projections from algorithms make matches.

@Ivan Stankowski Time for the Dieringer Addition

image.png.19ed62b0bcac49593cbea8d3db1f3015.png

Caveat: I am assuming all of Alex Dieringer's freshman year wins, pinfalls, and MD's were over D1 competition. That is not a good assumption. His sophomore through senior years he had 6 pinfalls, 1 TF, and 1 MD over non-D1 competition. I am not sure it would make a substantive difference though in the rate stats. It has the chance to change his win total, however. And since he leads by only one in that category, it could have an impact.

Caveat 2: The Time and Rank stats above are for just his sophomore through senior seasons.

And rankings:

image.png.c55f6ff693ba8e866310a83ec453db58.png

17 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Can confirm.

Ouch..... Must've had some academic troubles then. Just some high level numbers, but here are the acceptance rates for some comparable programs as of 2021... 

• Cornell - 14%
  • Michigan - 21%
  • Ohio State - 27%
  • Penn State - 49%
  • Wisconsin - 53%
  • Iowa - 82%
  • Iowa State - 86%
  • Oklahoma State - 86%

22 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Ouch..... Must've had some academic troubles then. Just some high level numbers, but here are the acceptance rates for some comparable programs as of 2021... 

• Cornell - 14%
  • Michigan - 21%
  • Ohio State - 27%
  • Penn State - 49%
  • Wisconsin - 53%
  • Iowa - 82%
  • Iowa State - 86%
  • Oklahoma State - 86%

Easy to be a Cowboy...

OIP.G0AJRWxGmyX34z0Nbiyr8wHaHh?w=153&h=1

Tough to be a Big Red bear...

OIP.zwaP9O8uotE2TAcfLxDnwgHaHh?pid=ImgDe

D3

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

• Cornell - 14%
  • Michigan - 21%
  • Ohio State - 27%
  • Penn State - 49%
  • Wisconsin - 53%
  • Iowa - 82%
  • Iowa State - 86%
  • Oklahoma State - 86%

So you're sayin' there is a 14% chance I don't get into Okie State?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Pretty sure there's actually no chance you are getting into Oklahoma State.  I'll bet you two bottles of that most excellent bourbon you were drinking last weekend.

There's a bit more to the story than simple acceptance rates.  Looking at the numbers it shows what we'd expect - universities that we expect are better academically appear to be harder to get into.  But it also indicates something else - universities that are in more populated states have larger application numbers and thus lower acceptance rates.  The answer is probably some of both. 

If only we knew someone good with data, tables & graphs who could put these data on a state population/per capita basis.  🤔

Edited by ionel

20 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

9 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Animal husbandry?

14 % NOT to get accepted to OSU?!?

Well... I was thinking along the lines of this guy... he got accepted!

22obwy.jpg

Or... perhaps, something like this fella here... 

EhSFRcN8MsO8UvgfyHNAdORwB9A=&risl=&pid=I

He just made the Dean's list.

D3

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Awesome breakdown, thanks for sharing this thread.

Had no idea Snyder had 4 career losses. Thought it was like 2, but my brain doesn't feel like working at the moment. 

5 losses

Per WrestleStat

image.png.2e482308fbf322fc71548b006603e7ed.png

Author's Note:

I want to apologize for WresdtleStat. They have something called a FALL, but as any dipshiz can tell you that should be pinfall. Management regrets any inconvenience this may cause you.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1