All the big name transfers to Penn State did NOT take the highest NIL offer

Jimmy Cinnabon

Here's a good reason why kids want to transfer to Penn State:

In the last ten seasons (since 2013) where an NCAA championship took place, Penn State had 19 #1 seeds. 15 of those #1 seeds won NCAAs.

In the same time frame, Iowa had 8 #1 seeds. ONE of those wrestlers won an NCAA championship. 

Now, could Ira be handing out a bag of cash? Sure. But the difference in a) #1 seeds and b) performance by those #1 seeded wrestlers is absolutely staggering.

1 hour ago, Offthemat said:

The way I understand it, NIL can be raised or offered to any athlete at any time.  So any of the interested parties of the current school could offer NIL to match or better what is available to the athlete if he transfers. 

21 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

No.  I’m saying Elmer is a good wrestler after two seasons at XSU and he enters the portal.  It is possible for a businessman from the city XSU is in to say “if you show up at my place on a certain day next winter and sign autographs, there’ll be money in it for you.”  Kid knows that if he transfers away he can’t make that commitment.  

But we aren't talking about Elmer, you said "any athlete at any time" so I was talking about a high school kid (case similar to one that just occurred).  We know all about the "birthday party autograph deals" going on for current athletes.  But what about your "any" recruiting thing?  

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

But we aren't talking about Elmer, you said "any athlete at any time" so I was talking about a high school kid (case similar to one that just occurred).  We know all about the "birthday party autograph deals" going on for current athletes.  But what about your "any" recruiting thing?  

Isn’t that going on already?  I was trying to make the point that if he’s going to the highest bidder, then that could be a bid to stay where he is. 

1 hour ago, Offthemat said:

Isn’t that going on already?  I was trying to make the point that if he’s going to the highest bidder, then that could be a bid to stay where he is. 

So there are no rules.  

21 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

So it seems that NIL isn't destroying the sport as some may be saying...in actuality it may be leveling the playing field for other teams (e.g. Iowa offers a transfer 5x what Penn State offers and the transfer ends up taking the money because it's just too much to refuse).

Without NIL there's no way for other teams to entice transfers with a giant bag of cash who would otherwise want to go to the best wrestling program in the country.

So I'd argue that for everyone OTHER than Penn State (or whoever the top team is), NIL is a good thing.

This about as idiotic as a take can possibly get.