Ten...

GA Lion

With the latest transfers to PSU...it seems possible (even likely?) that PSU might achieve what has only been done once before - 10 All-Americans.  Minnesota did it in 2001 (without a single finalist too).

Of course we don't know the lineup at this point, and a lot will happen in the next 10 months...injuries, redshirts, transfers.  How realistic is it to think PSU might get everyone on the podium?  Perhaps a better question, if they could enter two guys per weight, how many could they get on the podium?

They could have 10 in the semi-finals. Granted, it would be a long shot with 125 and 165 being the longest odds. But it would be possible.

If Casey got MM into the weight room today, I think it’s possible.

That said, I think LH or MM takes an RS of some variety this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Apparently Cal has a bit more "science" because that's where the better PSU and NLWC guys get their "weight training programs" from...

Ah. I see we've gone full HR/GIA this morning with a PED reference.

Well played.

14 minutes ago, jammen said:

If so, would it get an asterisk in the records books?

For scoring record - 3-pt TD rule passes leading to a statistically significant more number of TFs and MDs across the board, combined with an analysis showing less team points would've been achieved using the prior scoring method.

For 10 AAs - Nothing. They'll all be competing using the same rules all year (e.g., scoring, portal, NIL).

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Well played.

What PED reference?  Certainly there is a reason why Taylor, Nickal, and other choose to train under the guidance of a California based math teacher instead of their own resident genius.  Coach Cal is just that darned good.  Send "MM" to Cali !

21 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Well played.

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

What PED reference?  Certainly there is a reason why Taylor, Nickal, and other choose to train under the guidance of a California based math teacher instead of their own resident genius.  Coach Cal is just that darned good.  Send "MM" to Cali !

NLWC has been very open about juicing their athletes.  It's not like they hide it.  Kendra Taylor even has her own website

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, GA Lion said:

Perhaps a better question, if they could enter two guys per weight, how many could they get on the podium?

While it is true that PSU is putting together a monster team for next year, one of the biggest myths going around is that PSU has this massive depth.  In another thread, some are claiming that their JV team could place top 5.  Its just not true.  If anything, it is one of PSU's biggest weaknesses:  they LACK depth, badly.  At most weights, if their guy gets hurt, its a really big drop to the next guy. 

Last year, their best backup was Nevills, but he's transferring.  They had some serviceable backups in Barraclaugh, Lee and Ball, who could probably start for a lot of teams, but none of those guys were apt to put up any points at NCAAs.

So what's changed this year?  Nagao and Truax are great additions but they don't add depth as they swap in for departing RBY and Dean.  

The only real depth addition (besides incoming freshmen) is Mesenbrink, since he fits in with Haines/Facundo.  With Nevills leaving that's a wash, or close to it.  Factor in possible Olympic redshirts, and it gets even thinner.

A team of PSU backups would be lucky to score 5 points at NCAAs.

5 hours ago, mspart said:

I agree with the above assertion that Cunningham is the mad scientist in the room.

I think if they want 3 point TD, they need to adjust the TF and MD point spreads to compensate.  

mspart 

If anything, 3pt TD could be seen as compensating for bumping up NF to 4 some years back.

edit: misread TF as NF, so my post doesn’t really make sense.

Still, I think a major even with 3 pt TD is fine.  majors aren’t east to come by against good competition. Will see how this goes though. If majors come too easy, I’m wiling to change my mind.

techs are already kind of too easy due to 4pt near falls, so I do agree with you on the matter if tech falls.

Edited by PencilNeck

10 hours ago, PencilNeck said:

techs are already kind of too easy due to 4pt near falls, so I do agree with you on the matter if tech falls.

Techs are actually very difficult to come by actually. FRL just discussed how rare a tech fall is in the NCAA tournament, out of the 640 matches in the NCAA wrestling tournament there were only 9 tech falls. 1.4% of matches ended in a technical fall that does not seem too easy

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, JVStateChamp said:

Techs are actually very difficult to come by actually. FRL just discussed how rare a tech fall is in the NCAA tournament, out of the 640 matches in the NCAA wrestling tournament there were only 9 tech falls. 1.4% of matches ended in a technical fall that does not seem too easy

Sure, at the NCAA tournament level they are tough to come by. but in a regular duals, I saw quite a few techs this year. Doesn't take too many turns to tech an inferior wrestler. In reality, that may be a good thing though. sort of a penalty for not being able to put away the match by fall, once you turn them a third time and don't pin, it'll just be a TF.

• Fire 1