Should Penn State seek a 125 pound transfer?

Jimmy Cinnabon

It seems crazy to ask given that Penn State has landed the 3 hottest transfers this year in Nagao, Mesenbrink and Truax...but the reality is 125 has been a hole for Penn State since Suriano left.

Robbie Howard is a great blue chip talent but he's had chronic shoulder injuries since he set foot on campus.  Behind Howard Penn State only has Gary Steen who is something like 3-13 in regular season duals.  It is not a good bet that Howard will stay healthy through a full season.  I would want Penn State to look for a transfer like Michael DeAugustino who could either take the starting job outright or serve as a backup if/when Howard injures his shoulder again.

Serious question:  if there was a very, very good lightweight female wrestler (or one coming up through the ranks with college eligibility) and she could compete against some of the best D1 guys at 125, is that an option for a team to recruit?

Or, does Title IX (or some other rule) say that she would have to wrestle for a women's team ... or that women can't wrestle on men's teams?

In the case of Penn State since they don't have a women's team, could they (she) argue that PSU should be able to recruit her.

I know it's only a hypothetical, but I'm curious about it.   Also, I'm not aware of any female wrestlers that could compete at the D1 level?  Who would have the best chance and is college age? Kennedy Blades? Elor? Shilson? 

And, yes, I know women only wrestle freestyle ... so they would have to make the transition to folk ... but that could also be part of the argument why a school can/should recruit them if they were good enough.

At this point, PSU is a magnet program where the top transfers seem to be seeking an opportunity as much as PSU coaches seeking them.  Anyone on the PSU team knows that a new recruit or competititve transfer may be coming and competing for the spot.  There have been plenty of other magnet wrestling programs, but the PSU magnet seems to be pretty powerful right now.  I hope Howard or other guys on the team are healthy and win the spot.

13 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Serious question:  if there was a very, very good lightweight female wrestler (or one coming up through the ranks with college eligibility) and she could compete against some of the best D1 guys at 125, is that an option for a team to recruit?

Or, does Title IX (or some other rule) say that she would have to wrestle for a women's team ... or that women can't wrestle on men's teams?

In the case of Penn State since they don't have a women's team, could they (she) argue that PSU should be able to recruit her.

I know it's only a hypothetical, but I'm curious about it.   Also, I'm not aware of any female wrestlers that could compete at the D1 level?  Who would have the best chance and is college age? Kennedy Blades? Elor? Shilson? 

And, yes, I know women only wrestle freestyle ... so they would have to make the transition to folk ... but that could also be part of the argument why a school can/should recruit them if they were good enough.

Well it would never happen, no amount of technical skill could overcome the speed and strength issue.  Are you away that the US Women's National soccer team (World Cup champion caliber) lost to a U15 boys team?

On 4/26/2023 at 10:32 PM, SocraTease said:

There are some Cali Jucos that recruit women for the men's team under the assumption that if enough women join, then the administration has no reason NOT to start a women's program. The crazy thing is that there are women & parents falling for that snake oil! 

On 4/26/2023 at 1:21 PM, BAC said:

DeAugustino is a sleeper in the portal.  Majored Ramos at B1Gs, and 4th at NCAAs two years ago.  Put him in the right program and he's as much of a contender at 125 next year as anyone.

Can't fix a broken body.  Guy can't get or stay healthy at 125.  I think he needs to pursue 133 as an option for his final year.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:39 PM, Elevator said:

At this point, PSU is a magnet program where the top transfers seem to be seeking an opportunity as much as PSU coaches seeking them.  Anyone on the PSU team knows that a new recruit or competititve transfer may be coming and competing for the spot.  There have been plenty of other magnet wrestling programs, but the PSU magnet seems to be pretty powerful right now.  I hope Howard or other guys on the team are healthy and win the spot.

This is an ignorant post.  Every Penn State wrestler knows that the standard of excellence is the highest in the country and if they want to be a part of that they need to put the work in to get better.  If they perform they have no worries.  I am the biggest Facundo fan on this forum and even I understand the reason for bringing in Messenbrink.  Peak potential does not mean results.  Results mean results. 

Everyone said 'Oh Beard beat Dean.'  He did so when it didn't matter.  Dean still outplaced him at NCAAs and Brooks will outplace Beard next year too.  So was the decision wrong?  Why is it so bad that a team is using the rules set forth to put the very best team, possibly ever, on the mat?  Those coaches know what they're doing and the best version of Penn State is better for USA Wrestling.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:32 PM, SocraTease said:

This is simply an ignorant opinion from me, but I believe that Title IX is very restrictive towards the Men's sports.  For example, we have seen men being able to go to the Women's sports and win at the highest level, but we have not seed any Women come to the Men's sports and compete at the highest level, let alone win.

Kennedy Blades, Amit Elor, Kylie Welker would all be 165lbers.  They would be destroyed.  Shilson wrestled 109lbs in college so not only would she be destroyed, she would be well undersized.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 4/26/2023 at 8:32 PM, SocraTease said:

Look up Patricia Miranda