Are Sacred Heart, Cal Baptist and Presbyterian sleeping giants?

Jimmy C thread alert

Nagao said he wanted to go to a school where he could "best serve God"

It appears these 3 schools are the only religious schools with a D1 wrestling team.  Wouldn't one of these be the place where one could "best serve God"?

Let's blow up this thread: Wrestling is a sport born out of the pagan virtue thumos. While Jesus glories in the vengence he serves his enemies in the Revelation of John, his chief teaching in the Gospels is compassion. Compassion seems antithetical to competition. How do these folks square this? They sound absurd.

18 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Let's blow up this thread: Wrestling is a sport born out of the pagan virtue thumos. While Jesus glories in the vengence he serves his enemies in the Revelation of John, his chief teaching in the Gospels is compassion. Compassion seems antithetical to competition. How do these folks square this? They sound absurd.

huh ... Genesis 32:22-31

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

huh ... Genesis 32:22-31

That ain't Jesus. You do recognize the difference between the Sermon on the Mount and the distruction of Jericho and all the innocent women and children living there, too.

Edit: wrestling is older than Judaism.

Edited by jackwebster

29 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

That guy drilling you right now? He is being very compassionate. He is showing you everything you need to work on.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

That ain't Jesus. You do recognize the difference between the Sermon on the Mount and the distruction of Jericho and all the innocent women and children living there, too.

Calm down Jeremiah

• Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Davidson, Duke, Campbell, and Gardner-Webb are also religious schools with D1 wrestling.

Are Davidson and Duke really considered religious schools?  I see they had an "affiliation" at one point, but it doesn't seem like there is much right now.

Good call on Campbell and Gardner-Webb though.  

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Huh ... who said anything about Sermon on the Mount or Jericho and isn't Genesis older than Judaism?

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Huh ... who said anything about Sermon on the Mount or Jericho and isn't Genesis older than Judaism?

Genesis older than Judaism? How so?

Re comparison: the God in the Old Testment has a different temperment than Jesus.

Edited by jackwebster

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Are Davidson and Duke really considered religious schools?  I see they had an "affiliation" at one point, but it doesn't seem like there is much right now.

Good call on Campbell and Gardner-Webb though.  

They are both still affiliated with churches, per their website.  I guess we can debate if being affiliated with a church means it is a religious school.  I say yes.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

They are both still affiliated with churches, per their website.  I guess we can debate if being affiliated with a church means it is a religious school.  I say yes.

True...I live like 10 minutes from Davidson, and never even knew it was affiliated with religion...

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

True...I live like 10 minutes from Davidson, and never even knew it was affiliated with religion...

I live 12 miles from my barber's daughter's house and never even knew they rented goats.  

Goats On The Go - check it out.  🐐 

As much as I love these discussions between the grandstanding atheists who have a childish  attitude about why religion works for some, and the way too often easily triggered Christian types.. that both equally do a poor job representing both sides. 

My real question is.. why are you eating the Cinnabons… it’s almost worst than eating the onion at this point