New 23-24 NFHS Rules Released

davenowa

16-man brax now easier with no worry about 5 match rule for 3rd/5th, and happy to see 45 min rule reduced to 30.  not sure about the addition of medical forfeit, as prior NFHS rule actually stated no forfeits count as losses on record (many states had own variants).  https://nfhs.org/articles/changes-in-high-school-wrestling-rules-include-allowance-of-six-matches-in-one-day-of-competition/

1. 6 matches in day = yay finally

2. no more than 10 matches in two days = neutral

3. Feet being a point of contact = Finally always should have been

4. Tights without stirrups underneath singlet = um okay

5. Medical Forfeit = why are we making like college? If you want to stop seed protecting 

6. Facial hair = obviously

7. 30 instead of 45 min. = FINALLY

On 4/28/2023 at 10:56 AM, Formally140 said:

6 matches in day = yay finally

The 6 matches in a day seems a bit excessive for a majority of high school wrestlers. I will say at elite tournaments where the brackets are large then yes. But I know for a fact for most wrestlers that are not completely invested 6 matches are over the top and will result in some burnout. But again I can see circumstances where it would be beneficial.

1 hour ago, JVStateChamp said:

The 6 matches in a day seems a bit excessive for a majority of high school wrestlers. I will say at elite tournaments where the brackets are large then yes. But I know for a fact for most wrestlers that are not completely invested 6 matches are over the top and will result in some burnout. But again I can see circumstances where it would be beneficial.

It’s to help tournaments get done quicker. Other things will cause burnout well before that.. scheduling is on the coach 

1 hour ago, JVStateChamp said:

16 man brackets can now be run in their entirety on 3 mats in about 10 hours. This is a good change and in reality almost nobody will encounter this as you'd have to lose in the first round then wrestle all the way back for this to happen. 1-2 guys in a tournament may have this happen. 

Bigger tournaments will have to bleed over into day 2 regardless so that won't matter. 

A quick edit - I checked a random state that uses a 16-man bracket for their State Tournament and saw 6 but two were in the same bracket.  

Edited by Old guy

2 hours ago, JVStateChamp said:

But those same non-elite HS wrestlers you allude to would likely never be in a place to win 6 matches in a day.

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

It’s to help tournaments get done quicker. Other things will cause burnout well before that.. scheduling is on the coach 

Allowing six matches in a day won't make tournaments quicker.

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

16 man brackets can now be run in their entirety on 3 mats in about 10 hours. This is a good change and in reality almost nobody will encounter this as you'd have to lose in the first round then wrestle all the way back for this to happen. 1-2 guys in a tournament may have this happen. 

Bigger tournaments will have to bleed over into day 2 regardless so that won't matter. 

A quick edit - I checked a random state that uses a 16-man bracket for their State Tournament and saw 6 but two were in the same bracket.  

10 hours in a gym makes my ass hurt.

31 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

30 minutes will make tournies run faster. 6 per day will make it easier, in conjunction with 6 per day, to run tournies in one day.

Yup, a couple smaller teams begging to get into my tournament were allowed in because of it

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, Old guy said:

3 mats in about 10 hours.

I think 10 hours in a gym is one of the factors why it is difficult into hooking kids into the sport. It is very difficult for someone to spend 10 hours in a gym to wrestle 3-4 matches (18-24 min). Difficult to change but I do feel that it is a deterrent for some athletes.

• Fire 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:38 PM, JVStateChamp said:

I think 10 hours in a gym is one of the factors why it is difficult into hooking kids into the sport. It is very difficult for someone to spend 10 hours in a gym to wrestle 3-4 matches (18-24 min). Difficult to change but I do feel that it is a deterrent for some athletes.

But 10 hours in 1 day is better than 5 hours day one and 8+ hours day two. I know that doesn't add up but schools always take advantage of the time to split up sessions and get more sales at the concessions stands. Sometimes even charging more at the door. 

Plus it is 1 weigh-in. 

Over all this is a really good change. 

• Fire 1

On 5/5/2023 at 4:54 AM, Formally140 said:

They changed wait times to 30 minutes 

Which will not come into play in the early rounds as there are still a lot of kids but in the consolations later in the tournament can move things along a bit. 

Bob you need a better cushion. 

On 5/4/2023 at 3:54 PM, Formally140 said:

They changed wait times to 30 minutes 

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Which will not come into play in the early rounds as there are still a lot of kids but in the consolations later in the tournament can move things along a bit. 

It definitely does make a difference early. I'm likely talking more about about events (opens) where the pigtail rounds (ch and co) are at oddball numbers due to uneven weight-size distributions. Often invites try for some round numbers of teams but even something like the EIWA in college has 17 teams and we have to schedule pigtails such as to minimize the wait time worries.

7 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

It definitely does make a difference early. I'm likely talking more about about events (opens) where the pigtail rounds (ch and co) are at oddball numbers due to uneven weight-size distributions. Often invites try for some round numbers of teams but even something like the EIWA in college has 17 teams and we have to schedule pigtails such as to minimize the wait time worries.

High School generally doesn't have opens and non-sanctioned tournaments can do what ever they want as you well know. In a 16-man bracket on 3 mats which is I think at what this is targeted; I do not believe it would some into play until the third round assuming round 2 is champ and consi together. After that it will be a huge benefit. 

If there are a ton of early round pins then all bets are off and this rule becomes a parent's best friend. Apparently Bob Dole's too.

Tournaments that are say 12 man or less or some kind of pool it could have a big effect. A rule I really like. 

As a side note another rule I wish all states would adopt is a season match limit as opposed to an event / weigh-in limit. Let the coaches figure out what is best for their team and schedule accordingly.  

The 30 minute rule is much needed as 45 minutes is way too much. However, I don't see it affecting tournaments all that much. A long tournament is going to be a long one with the wait period shortened. If it's originally a 10 hour day, making it a 9 hour day is still long. The best way for tournament directors to take advantage of the shortened wait time is to add mats. For instance a 16 man full bracket placing 8 is 420 matches. Over three mats that is 140 matches per mat, on four mats its 105, and on 5 mats it's 84 matches. At about 5.5 minutes per match you go from 12.8 hours to 9.6 hours, to 7.7 hours without any breaks.