Comical - Steveson - wow

Steveson could have wrestled Hvy in college - didn’t.  

So another guy - Parris - wins Hvy title AND the Hodge … basically best college wrestler.

Steveson and Parris meet in US Open.  Freestyle .. is a TD battle.

Steveson lays waste to Parris.  11-1.

Comical.

All hail Gable Steveson.

• Fire 5

Gable is just too athletic for Mason, and has tremendous technical skill as well. I think Gable will get the better of Gwizz tomorrow. But I will say that Gwizz does look like he’s trimmed down a bit and looks like he’s been spending a fair amount of time in the weight room. 
On a side note Hayden Zillmer was here, but didn’t compete, anyone have any idea why?

1 minute ago, de4856 said:

Gable is just too athletic for Mason, and has tremendous technical skill as well. I think Gable will get the better of Gwizz tomorrow. But I will say that Gwizz does look like he’s trimmed down a bit and looks like he’s been spending a fair amount of time in the weight room. 
On a side note Hayden Zillmer was here, but didn’t compete, anyone have any idea why?

lol bc he practices with Gable and knows the deal.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

OP is dead on.  Wow.  Just wow.  

He played with his food for a few minutes.  And by "his food," I mean the Hodge Trophy winner who dominated a good field last month.

It would be so great for USA wrestling and fans if Steveson could get the $ he wants and keep his interest in wrestling. We have all kinds of threads here about GOATs.  If he wrestled every year and had his heart in it -- 🐐 

• Fire 3

Mason Stevesonson knew it going in.

Honestly, this was his best chance to beat him with Gable Parrisfather having been out of competition for a year.

I am still pissed the fukced up seeding, but Parris will probably be the guy to see him at Final X still.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

In case anyone needed a reminder why Gable is the GOAT of Heavyweights, they just got it.

As an aside, if anyone thought there was trash-talking between Gable and Parris after their match, this interview indicates it was exactly the opposite:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/10272040-brady-koontz-a-step-away-from-making-2023-world-team/videos?playing=10921589

I think the 2020 tweet is ancient history between these two.  

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

i have never seen steveson in person, he must be huge

b/c i thought parris and wyatt hendrickson were big guys... they looked small

I ran into him before the 2022 final. I am 5'10" and I was struck by the fact that if he was taller than me, it wasn't by much. I see he is listed at 6'1", but I will take the under (or I have a poor memory, you pick. Or I was in street shoes and he was bear footed. I don't know.).

I wished him good luck and patted him on the shoulder. I remember thinking he must carry a bag of rocks under his shirt.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, BAC said:

In case anyone needed a reminder why Gable is the GOAT of Heavyweights, they just got it.

As an aside, if anyone thought there was trash-talking between Gable and Parris after their match, this interview indicates it was exactly the opposite:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/10272040-brady-koontz-a-step-away-from-making-2023-world-team/videos?playing=10921589

I think the 2020 tweet is ancient history between these two.  

The impression I got watching live was that they were having a very friendly conversation. Parris has an obvious smile on his face as he approaches Steveson and then they are both smiling while talking and waiting for the final confirmation. Didn't seem like trash talk at all to me.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The impression I got watching live was that they were having a very friendly conversation. Parris has an obvious smile on his face as he approaches Steveson and then they are both smiling while talking and waiting for the final confirmation. Didn't seem like trash talk at all to me.

Yeah, its kind of weird -- I would have thought that after a year of WWE under his belt, Gable would be all about the trash talk.  Instead he's Mr. Nice Guy.  Super positive, wanting to grow the sport, put on a show, mad props to Mason, and so on.  Maybe he's trying to position himself to be a "good guy" in the next WWE draft and wants to show he's a fan favorite?  Whatever it is, I hope the WWE lets him stick around.  What a force.

Edited by BAC
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Yeah, its kind of weird -- I would have thought that after a year of WWE under his belt, Gable would be all about the trash talk.  Instead he's Mr. Nice Guy.  Super positive, wanting to grow the sport, put on a show, mad props to Mason, and so on.  Maybe he's trying to position himself to be a "good guy" in the next WWE draft and wants to show he's a fan favorite?  Whatever it is, I hope the WWE lets him stick around.  What a force.

Not sure if this train of thought will make sense, but a few random thoughts I have had about the transcendent one...

• Something struck me in an interview he did quite a while ago pre-Olympics: he mentioned when he was a kid that he wanted to hurt his opponents.
  • Then he won Olympic gold with arguably the most dramatic takedown in history, and other than a 30 second spin for his life, beat the previous 6x combined world titles rather convincingly.
  • Even before the Olympics I got the appearance he was full HEW from years of year-round global grinding.
  • He stepped away from wrestling for a (short) while after going on a retirement tour in '23 designed to keep his name buzzing while training for the next step in his career, not to wrestle in the same sense many others in this sport do.

Maybe he just found his zen, resdiscovered his passion for wrestling, and is now more relaxed and appreciative after spending time away knowing that he is indeed godzilla king of the monsters. Not everyone can be angry 24/7/365 like Jordan.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I ran into him before the 2022 final. I am 5'10" and I was struck by the fact that if he was taller than me, it wasn't by much. I see he is listed at 6'1", but I will take the under (or I have a poor memory, you pick. Or I was in street shoes and he was bear footed. I don't know.).

I wished him good luck and patted him on the shoulder. I remember thinking he must carry a bag of rocks under his shirt.

I think you're spot on. He certainly isn't dwarfing his opponents, if anything Mason is a good bit taller. 

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Prepping to be the next big collegiate head coach. 

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Oh, he is definitely bear footed!

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/27/2023 at 10:04 PM, headshuck said:

Yeah but people were asking what the ongoing “discussion” might be related to.

Pretty sure Mason said:  "you're a short wrestler, you are shorter than me, when we are both in a nursing home you'll still be shorter than me, sure you won the match but in 30-50 years from now all folks are gonna notice is that you are shorter than me.  Oh and they gave me a full Hodge not a short half a Hodge and didn't have to share it with a short 5'2" 125lber."

Well thats what thought I heard.  😉

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1