I'm not convinced Spencer would've been any healthier at PSU

10 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Did Spencer's dad state why he was giving the interview and now Spencer himself? Seems.... strange to have your dad do that. Askren even commented on FRL how Spencer is focusing entirely too heavily on what others think and not focusing on what matters. I think he's mentally hitting a wall of some sort. 

Difficulty loosening the apron strings? 

2 hours ago, BAC said:

I dunno.  Compare PSU and Iowa's handling of Suriano and Lee, respectively.

Suriano wanted to wrestle in the postseason. PSU would have loved him to, but thought he was too injured.  Suriano disagreed, strongly.  PSU held its ground, and in the resulting dust-up, Suriano transferred.  PSU showed it'd rather lose one of their top guys than let him wrestle with too much of an injury.

I don't recall if he ever said he thought he could have wrestled at NCAA's that year.   But in addition to other factors unrelated to the injury, he said they wanted him to get surgery and he did not, which he didn't.

Also keep in mind they initially restarted the Picc match even though he could barely walk...

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

There are notable differences in training philosophies between Iowa and other programs.  Take a look at HR and you'll see many Iowa fans talking about how injuries seem to hit them more than other teams.  It's not just a Spencer issue...many star Hawkeyes have struggled to stay healthy throughout a season and there's a reason for that.

This. Former Hawkeye wrestlers have mentioned how different practices are in the Iowa room than elsewhere. The majority of practice time is conditioning and live wrestling. Not very much drilling or technique, you work on those things with coaches offline. It's a product of Gable. He believed that live wrestling makes you tougher and more comfortable with the "Iowa Style", and the live goes helps you to learn how to wrestle through all positions and situations.

Spencer Lee was banged up in high school so it's debatable whether he would have done better in a different room. Thing that really screwed him was the Covid year. If he just wrestled four straight years and graduated in 2021 he would have had plenty of time to properly rehab. But he really wanted to be a 4xer in college (understandable) and now he's rushing to get his international career back on track. 5 years ago we thought Spencer would be our guy at 57kg at the 2024 Olympics. Now it's starting to look like he'll have to wait until at least 2028 to achieve his dream. 🤕

• Stalling 1

50 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

This. Former Hawkeye wrestlers have mentioned how different practices are in the Iowa room than elsewhere. The majority of practice time is conditioning and live wrestling. Not very much drilling or technique, you work on those things with coaches offline. It's a product of Gable. He believed that live wrestling makes you tougher and more comfortable with the "Iowa Style", and the live goes helps you to learn how to wrestle through all positions and situations.

Spencer Lee was banged up in high school so it's debatable whether he would have done better in a different room. Thing that really screwed him was the Covid year. If he just wrestled four straight years and graduated in 2021 he would have had plenty of time to properly rehab. But he really wanted to be a 4xer in college (understandable) and now he's rushing to get his international career back on track. 5 years ago we thought Spencer would be our guy at 57kg at the 2024 Olympics. Now it's starting to look like he'll have to wait until at least 2028 to achieve his dream. 🤕

The only argument I could see is he could have sat his true Freshman year and started the next year "healthy." You could argue that he would have wrestled at PSU his true freshman year as well and while that is true, I think he had to at Iowa. So much hyperbole and there is no way to know. He had a great NCAA career and like so many didn't get the 4. 

I think he wanted to get on the mat right away and compete as a true freshman. IIRC Iowa already had some pretty big holes in the lineup that year and weren't expected to seriously compete for a team championship, so he wasn't going to make or break their season. Imo Spencer felt that he needed to bounce back from his PIAA finals match and wanted to mix it up with NaTo, Suriano, Picc, etc. He would have wanted to go his freshman year no matter which school he was at.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don't recall if he ever said he thought he could have wrestled at NCAA's that year.   But in addition to other factors unrelated to the injury, he said they wanted him to get surgery and he did not, which he didn't.

Also keep in mind they initially restarted the Picc match even though he could barely walk...

Yes, they are not the saints that some would have you believe.  

Kerk currently wrestling without an ACL.

They let Carter continue last night.

Their handling of Berge and David Taylor's concussions could be termed coaching malpractice.

Shakur Rasheed was being held together by duct tape as a senior.

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Their handling of Berge and David Taylor's concussions could be termed coaching malpractice.

ahh ... you forgot Suriano drilling downstairs "as we speak" on a broken ankle. 

Also, we used to fix lots of stuff on the farm with baling wire then they invited duct tape.  You can fix any/everything with duct tape.  

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Nolf wrestled on a bum leg as well

• Fire 1

On 4/28/2023 at 3:03 AM, 1032004 said:

...but I do think he would've been better off at PSU in general.

The reason: in addition to the injuries, it seems the pressure of being the guy that was supposed to "save" Iowa wrestling has gotten to him (which is a lot of pressure!). 

At PSU he would've been just another of their national champs and wouldn't have had to have the spotlight mostly to himself, which he has now admitted he doesn't want.   I mean the dude is 24 years old and his dad is giving interviews for him...

I get what you're saying, there was more pressure on him at Penn State...and he probably wouldn't have been healthier. When I think of Iowa end of the season over PSU, Iowa guys just...as of late, look more beat up, more run down and the PSU guys look fresher. That's all.

But I also don't buy the pressure from Iowa Wrestling. I don't think you get to be as great as Spencer Lee without that pressure coming from Within. 

As for the Dad giving interviews for him...remember how much shit he got for NOT having anyone explain why he wasn't Wrestling? Well, this time HIS DAD came forward and told you! It wasn't some vague statement made by the University, it was from the person closest to him(or one of the two presumably). 

Kid can't win!

3 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I get what you're saying, there was more pressure on him at Penn State...and he probably wouldn't have been healthier. When I think of Iowa end of the season over PSU, Iowa guys just...as of late, look more beat up, more run down and the PSU guys look fresher. That's all.

But I also don't buy the pressure from Iowa Wrestling. I don't think you get to be as great as Spencer Lee without that pressure coming from Within. 

As for the Dad giving interviews for him...remember how much shit he got for NOT having anyone explain why he wasn't Wrestling? Well, this time HIS DAD came forward and told you! It wasn't some vague statement made by the University, it was from the person closest to him(or one of the two presumably). 

Kid can't win!

Didn’t he literally admit he didn’t like the spotlight?

And his dad gave a “vague statement” anyway…

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Didn’t he literally admit he didn’t like the spotlight?

And his dad gave a “vague statement” anyway…

I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure what difference that makes?

I know he DID say that he loved Wrestling at CHA because every single person in the arena is there to watch him and he's also talked about how he loves Wrestling in the Finals on the biggest stage. He's also done on huge podcasts and did something with Caitlyn Clark about two goats.

I don't know if he said he likes the spotlight or not, but I'm not sure what difference that makes?

The Dad said he wasn't physically ready to compete. He tried to push it. Seems obvious what he's talking about...

10 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure what difference that makes?

I know he DID say that he loved Wrestling at CHA because every single person in the arena is there to watch him and he's also talked about how he loves Wrestling in the Finals on the biggest stage. He's also done on huge podcasts and did something with Caitlyn Clark about two goats.

I don't know if he said he likes the spotlight or not, but I'm not sure what difference that makes?

The Dad said he wasn't physically ready to compete. He tried to push it. Seems obvious what he's talking about...

I forget the exact wording now, but in the barstool interview he said he was annoyed how people commented about him “only winning 8-0.”   

What was he talking about? His knee? Conditioning?

Sometime around the tournament when Iowa won, he said that it was his goal to be on a championship team and he would do anything he could to help win it.  His comment about comments about him winning a match 8-0 was because people thought he should pin everyone and if he didn’t people would start rumors that he must be hurt.  

5 hours ago, Offthemat said:

His comment about comments about him winning a match 8-0 was because people thought he should pin everyone and if he didn’t people would start rumors that he must be hurt.  

Well they were mostly right according to what he also said in that interview

On 5/7/2023 at 6:00 AM, 1032004 said:

I forget the exact wording now, but in the barstool interview he said he was annoyed how people commented about him “only winning 8-0.”   

What was he talking about? His knee? Conditioning?

I don't see how that's him saying he doesn't like the spotlight...especially juxtaposed against him talking about how much he loves that when he wrestles at CHA or the NCAAs everyone stays in their seats and he's wrestling in front of 16-18K people.

I think he laughed about that talking about how after he TECHED Glory 18-3 people were talking about how well GLORY Wrestled despite him winning 18-3.

So I don't know why you think he's talking about either. I think he's talking...-and mostly joking, about the expectations people have for him vs others.