How will you feel should Spencer win Olympic Gold for 🇫🇷?

4 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Hypothetically, he couldn't apply for an athlete transfer until December (the one month window UWW allows for it). Not sure the time they have to sit out, though. Also, France has picked up a number of new athletes. They're allowed one transfer per style, per age group a year. So if they already picked up a senior freestyler, they can't pick up another one for another year. 

Can't seem to find the time someone has to sit out in the rulebook. France would also have to qualify the weight in Belgrade.

I wouldn't even think it's possible so close to 2024. 

As in, a waiting period before they can start competing once they've switched countries, or the time before they can switch countries again? If it's the latter, I think there's a 3 year freeze before changing allegiances again (but it can be overruled by the IOC and both countries' national wrestling federations? Not sure). 

5 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Don't be so sure.

A big Iowa donor liked my similar train of thought on GIA (formerly HR).  Several HR posters and WkN like the idea.

Rudis could love the publicity associated with the storyline.  That storyline could include French mother who hasn't seen her son wrestle live since NCAAs, due to boorish American fan behavior, returns to her homeland to see her son win gold.

And maybe Rudis wants to be an international brand.

It would be an interesting pivot for sure. I mean Rudis just put out an IG video of Spencer talking about wanting to keep improving himself. It ends with him in a USA singlet and draped in Old Glory, subtext that he's still working towards his goal of representing our country on the world stage. His landing page on the Rudis website also has him decked out in Americana, so it would be quite a change of narrative. Not to mention calling out fans (potential Rudis customers, Barstool viewers) for upsetting his mom...  I don't know, man. It may not stick.

Also, I can understand why Mrs. Lee doesn't want to attend any more live events but I think doing so just gives more power to the haters. She's a tough lady, and I think she should just own the ESPN incident. Like if she said, "I haven't seen my son Spencer wrestle since NCAAs because I don't have glasses!" it would be sorta funny and it would disarm the sh!thead fans and put an end to it.

• Fire 2

i wouldn't mind it at all. it makes a lot of sense considering 1) USA's depth 2) USA's team selection process 3) spencer's match count/inj situation.

that being said, there is the timeline to transfer as Jason pointed out.

i think that's the major hurdle and qualifying the weight is of secondary/little concern.

even if he couldn't wrestle at Worlds he could qualify by going to Euros and/or Last Chance, which, going forward now takes 3 per weight instead of 2. 

so, again, the major hurdle, to me, seems to be getting eligible for France in time. 

• Fire 1

Snow removal businesses are very real.

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i wouldn't mind it at all. it makes a lot of sense considering 1) USA's depth 2) USA's team selection process 3) spencer's match count/inj situation.

that being said, there is the timeline to transfer as Jason pointed out.

i think that's the major hurdle and qualifying the weight is of secondary/little concern.

even if he couldn't wrestle at Worlds he could qualify by going to Euros and/or Last Chance, which, going forward now takes 3 per weight instead of 2. 

so, again, the major hurdle, to me, seems to be getting eligible for France in time. 

It’s too late for this quad. He could do ‘24 worlds though

i am an idiot on the internet

19 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

It ends with him in a USA singlet and draped in Old Glory, subtext that he's still working towards his goal of representing our country on the world stage.

Just saying he has to find a way to Paris 2024.  That's the advertised next thing.  That's why he's pushing the limit.  I believe he'll take whatever immediate step he can the best he can, because that seems to be what he has done so far.

So the ending above can be reserved for 2028.

Companies love free advertising through coverage of their athletes.  Spencer needs to compete to be covered.  This far outweighs any potential fan backlash.  Emphasizing his mother's unfair treatment acts to dampen further overt backlash.

Of course, haters are going to hate, Spencer might not wish to wrestle in Paris by any means, and there's no guarantee he could compete for France.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

2 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Just saying he has to find a way to Paris 2024.  That's the advertised next thing.  That's why he's pushing the limit.  I believe he'll take whatever immediate step he can the best he can, because that seems to be what he has done so far.

So the ending above can be reserved for 2028.

Companies love free advertising through coverage of their athletes.  Spencer needs to compete to be covered.  This far outweighs any potential fan backlash.  Emphasizing his mother's unfair treatment acts to dampen further overt backlash.

Of course, haters are going to hate, Spencer might not wish to wreastle in Paris by any means, and there's no guarantee he could compete for France.

I personally think it would be a bad move for him to "move away" from America and USA Wrestling. The mother angle is also pretty weak.

Same I would for anyone else who chooses this path whether it be Amine(s), Gomez, Finesilver, etc.

Don't mind at all their personal choice to go wrestle for another country, but it will suck as soon as one of them win Gold over the USA wrestler. 

On 4/29/2023 at 9:14 PM, ionel said:

Why is that?

Nothing happened to her. In this day and age if you do something like she did on film you are going to be a meme. If you react right it goes away. Is she really so damaged that she can't go to a wrestling match/tournament? I mean I saw it and thought it was funny do no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If the Lee's want to portray her as some great victim, it will only grow the incident. To try to tie that to Spencer having to leave America to save his family is lame. It is just such a nothing story. Just my opinion but I have also been told I am absolutely heartless and have no feelings.

8 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Nothing happened to her. In this day and age if you do something like she did on film you are going to be a meme. If you react right it goes away. Is she really so damaged that she can't go to a wrestling match/tournament? I mean I saw it and thought it was funny do no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If the Lee's want to portray her as some great victim, it will only grow the incident. To try to tie that to Spencer having to leave America to save his family is lame. It is just such a nothing story. Just my opinion but I have also been told I am absolutely heartless and have no feelings.

ahh ... I thought you meant taking the mother angle to get the French team spot was weak.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

The Streisand Effect. I agree that it would be forgotten by now if the Lee family just brushed it off and let it go. Reacting just fuels the haters. Repping France via mom is also a bad narrative because it sounds too much like a crybaby move like, "The USA is mean to me, so I'm leaving and I'm taking my ball with me" ... and it will be tough for sponsors to get behind that. It's not aspirational. It's not inspiring.

15 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

... It sounds too much like a crybaby move like, "The USA is mean to me, so I'm leaving and I'm taking my ball with me" 

Any such move would likely be framed as:

"The 🇺🇸 Wrestling qualification process did not comport with my health for the 2024 Olympic cycle.  I did my best, but was unable to make the 🇺🇸 team.  So now I am onto the next best thing to achieve my lifelong goal of becoming an Olympic champion.

Competing for 🇫🇷 is the only way I can.  I'm not giving up on my dream.  I want to compete at the Paris Olympics in 2024.  I am dedicating this competition to my mother, who is French.  Without her love and support I wouldn't be in this position.  I plan to compete for the 🇺🇸 in 2028."

I'd see no crybaby here.

15 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

it will be tough for sponsors to get behind that. It's not aspirational. It's not inspiring

Easy as 🥧 to sell this.  It's got Mom, dreams, and fortitude wrapped up in it.  People everywhere eat that shit up.

I don't know what sponsors could want more than a high visibility competing athlete with a compelling backstory that includes overcoming adversity and doing whatever it takes.  Spencer has that working for him in spades.  Still for the Summer games, he would've been better of if he were a female gymnast.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

On 4/28/2023 at 4:44 PM, Jason Bryant said:

Hypothetically, he couldn't apply for an athlete transfer until December (the one month window UWW allows for it). Not sure the time they have to sit out, though. Also, France has picked up a number of new athletes. They're allowed one transfer per style, per age group a year. So if they already picked up a senior freestyler, they can't pick up another one for another year. 

Can't seem to find the time someone has to sit out in the rulebook. France would also have to qualify the weight in Belgrade.

I wouldn't even think it's possible so close to 2024. 

He is outside the 3 years since competing internationally for the US but I can't imagine a transfer being allowed 15 months prior to the games.

From UWW:

Olympic Qualifying tournaments and Olympic Games: For the qualifying tournaments and for the Olympic Games, the following applies: A wrestler who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, Olympic Games qualifier(s), Continental or Regional Games or in World, Continental or Regional Championships recognized by UWW and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in an OG qualifying tournament(s) and/or in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that, at the time of the Olympic Games, at least three years have passed since he last represented his former country in one of the above competitions or in a UWW Ranking Series. The 3-year period is to be counted down before the beginning of the Olympic Games.

https://cdn.uww.org/s3fs-public/2022-07/change_nationality_june_2022_final_eng.pdf?VersionId=J.DIBoIwL1TqZV1PmTcNu0NhOz0kQQqM

NO!  NOT ANOTHER SPENCER LEE THREAD.

The guy has not done anything on the senior level.

He did not win his 4th State title.

He did not win his 4th NCAA title.

He did not qualify for this year's World Championships.

He did not even make the finals of US Open.

He is likely not going to do anything of significance in 2023.

He's plagued by injuries.   

Why this obsession with him?  It would be more interesting to speak about Zane Richards or Kennedy Blades or the high schooler who just won the US Open at 50 KG ... or even whether a civil war will break out in the US ... between PA and Iowa of course ... with Spencer (General) Lee leading Iowa naturally

How about a  thread called "Spencer Lee's new career on "Dancing with the Stars"?  Or a reality based Spencer Lee cooking show?  

Edited by SocraTease