Leg lace

It was a rule at one point.

I don't really understand the leg lace hate.  If you don't want to get laced, keep your ankles away from each other.

People complain that the match can be ended with one move.  This is true, but it is true in all wrestling.  You're always one half nelson or one power half away from losing.  Eventually, you figure out how to be less susceptible to those holds.

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It was a rule at one point.

I don't really understand the leg lace hate.  If you don't want to get laced, keep your ankles away from each other.

People complain that the match can be ended with one move.  This is true, but it is true in all wrestling.  You're always one half nelson or one power half away from losing.  Eventually, you figure out how to be less susceptible to those holds.

I don’t hate the move, I hate that you can score 18 points with one move.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You can score zero points and end the match with a half nelson.

Comparing to a pin is disingenuous, IMO.

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You could even score 20!

Can you?  Don’t you need a takedown (or reversal) first?

Can you?  Don’t you need a takedown (or reversal) first?

There’s a scenario where it *could* happen.

Wrestler A scores 10 points but wrestler B is about to get a reversal when Wrestler A is injured. They’d put Wrestler A down and let Wrestler B go to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t hate the move, I hate that you can score 18 points with one move.

But have you ever seen it and think about the beauty and skill of that to execute 9 turns while keeping it all in the circle.  🙂

Back in the day... similar to hooking up a leglace, one could lock up a trap-arm gut wrench do exactly what Vito did to DeSanto w/ the lace.

That's when FILA changed up the rules that you could ONLY score ONCE w/ a particular technique. You had to then score w/ another technique to score  again.

Amazing how things changed... things come around full circle again.

D3

27 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Back in the day... similar to hooking up a leglace, one could lock up a trap-arm gut wrench do exactly what Vito did to DeSanto w/ the lace.

That's when FILA changed up the rules that you could ONLY score ONCE w/ a particular technique. You had to then score w/ another technique to score  again.

Amazing how things changed... things come around full circle again.

D3

Was there a reason they changed it back?

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

And people want college to switch to freestyle…

A dual meet could be over in 15 minutes if all it takes is 1 takedown and 4 leg laces to end a match. 

Overall I think freestyle is more exciting, but it’s definitely not perfect:

1) this issue

2) seemingly arbitrary/rotating shot clocks

3) grounded

I’m also not crazy about criteria but I understand the arguments for it

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Was there a reason they changed it back?

I'm pretty sure they changed it to one score and switch holds because of what  Buxton did to me at Vegas. I'm not bitter. 

• Haha 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Meh, there is more than one way to end a match early.  I kind of like it.  It is rare to see the really good ones lose via lace but the possibility exists, which is a plus.  

Not disingenuous to compare it to pinning.  Seems like FS rules allow pinning to finish matches but they don't do much to encourage it.  Stark contrast to folk.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Meh, there is more than one way to end a match early.  I kind of like it.  It is rare to see the really good ones lose via lace but the possibility exists, which is a plus.  

Not disingenuous to compare it to pinning.  Seems like FS rules allow pinning to finish matches but they don't do much to encourage it.  Stark contrast to folk.

I do think it’s odd how there is not much emphasis on pinning in freestyle.  But pinning is rewarded by ending the match because it’s more difficult.  That’s the whole point of the scoring system and why some moves are worth 4 etc.  One turn with a leg lace is only worth 2, so it doesn’t seem right that you can score multiple times without letting go of the same move.  I mean this is literally a rule in folkstyle (and apparently used to be a rule in freestyle) so it’s not like this is coming out of nowhere.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I do think it’s odd how there is not much emphasis on pinning in freestyle.  But pinning is rewarded by ending the match because it’s more difficult.  That’s the whole point of the scoring system and why some moves are worth 4 etc.  One turn with a leg lace is only worth 2, so it doesn’t seem right that you can score multiple times without letting go of the same move.  I mean this is literally a rule in folkstyle (and apparently used to be a rule in freestyle) so it’s not like this is coming out of nowhere.

It is a rule in folkstyle?  Strange! I seem to recall Jesse Jantzen scoring repeatedly with a crab ride + 1/2  and never coming out of the crab ride or the half.  I also saw Mitch Clark score a Jacob's hook repeatedly on Vertus Jones without releasing his leg ride or crossface.  Must have been some poor officiating!

13 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It is a rule in folkstyle?  Strange! I seem to recall Jesse Jantzen scoring repeatedly with a crab ride + 1/2  and never coming out of the crab ride or the half.  I also saw Mitch Clark score a Jacob's hook repeatedly on Vertus Jones without releasing his leg ride or crossface.  Must have been some poor officiating!

Yes it is. Probably missed calls if they happened like you describe?  Those aren’t very recent examples…

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Pretty high profile examples.  One was NCAA finals, the other was repeatedly throughout a career.  Doubt they were missed calls.

What exactly is the folkstyle rule?

For the NCAA currently:

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WR23.pdf

Rule 4, Section 5, Article 2:

...The referee shall not signal the score for a near fall until the hold used to secure the near-fall criterion is completely released.

Clark does release the crossface between each score.

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

For the NCAA:

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WR23.pdf

Rule 4, Section 5, Article 2:

...The referee shall not signal the score for a near fall until the hold used to secure the near-fall criterion is completely released.

Clark does release the crossface between each score.

Thanks! Does he release the leg?

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken