Iowa 2024

BlacknGold

Early prediction: Kale Peterson and Gabe Arnold make the lineup. Arnold goes 174/184, Nelson Brands/Abe Assad take remaining weight class. AJ Ferrari gets 2nd chance. 

125- Drake Ayala (RSSO)
133- Kale Peterson (FR)/ Brody Teske (SR)
141- Real Woods (SR)
149- Coby Siebrecht (JR)/ Caleb Rathjen (SO)
157- Cody Chittum (FR)
165- Pat Kennedy (SO)
174- Nelson Brands (SR)
184- Gabe Arnold (FR)/ Abe Assad (SR)
197- AJ Ferrari* (SO)/ Zach Glazier (JR)/ Kolby Franklin (RSFR)
285- Anthony Cassioppi (SR)

17 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Early prediction: Kale Peterson and Gabe Arnold make the lineup. Arnold goes 174/184, Nelson Brands/Abe Assad take remaining weight class. AJ Ferrari gets 2nd chance. 

125- Drake Ayala (RSSO)
141- Real Woods (SR)
157- Cody Chittum (FR)
165- Pat Kennedy (SO)
174- Nelson Brands (SR)

I firmly believe Arnold redshirts. Plus he’s projected at 74 and it’s not definite on whether AJ will even wrestle next year (even though it would help the Hawkeyes greatly if he did wrestle).

I’m super interested with 149/157! Especially to see how specific Hawkeyes manage their weight and see which ones choose what weight class is best/healthiest for them. I’m excited to see how good Anthony Ferrari will be! 

To say the least I’m excited to see how we perform next year! 

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

I firmly believe Arnold redshirts. Plus he’s projected at 74 and it’s not definite on whether AJ will even wrestle next year (even though it would help the Hawkeyes greatly if he did wrestle).

I’m super interested with 149/157! Especially to see how specific Hawkeyes manage their weight and see which ones choose what weight class is best/healthiest for them. I’m excited to see how good Anthony Ferrari will be! 

To say the least I’m excited to see how we perform next year! 

No info on that but Arnold and Peterson look ready to go. Ryder Block and Ben Kueter are more likely to redshirt as they make weight adjustments. Anthony Ferrari maybe should redshirt

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I think pd3 got into grad school at Iowa.

Also pretty sure Jimmy was accepted into the University of Phoenix Graduate School of Pastry Arts but does that tell us much we didn't already know about Jimmy & pd3?

11 hours ago, BlacknGold said:

125- Drake Ayala (RSSO)
-A contender next year, for sure. Peak 1st with a valley of going 0-2 at NCAAs.  I think he is in the 4-R12 range for sure, though.

- I think it's another year of Teske/Schriever with one of them cementing before nationals.  I think either one will/would qualify but I also think they're looking at 6th, 8th, R12, or R16 type performance depending on the draw, however a performance of 0-2 at NCAAs would not surprise me.

141- Real Woods (SR)
- I think he is in the title match regardless of draw - providing injuries don't take a toll.  He is the favorite for next season.  Peak of 1st, valley of 2nd.

- I really like Siebrecht here.  If he can whittle down on his mistakes and keep up the high output, he is a sleeper for a contender.  I do think his peak is high AA, however his valley is still 0-2 at NCAAs.

157- Cody Chittum (FR)
- I think he is going to struggle.  He got by for so long by just being stronger, even if he was better.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him ORS or proper RS next year.  That leaves a whole here, though.

165- Pat Kennedy (SO)
- He is a contender for 3rd at the very peak next year (he isn't beating Carr or O'Toole).  If he was going to take 'that' step to compete, he would have already (this will be his 4th year on campus).  He could only win a match or two though, depending on draw.  165 is still rather brutal.

174- Nelson Brands (SR)
- I feel we saw peak performance 174lb Brands at NCAAs and he also got an absolute helluva draw.  He could do that again.  His grit and hand fighting will keep him in a lot of matches he should not be in, however he also wrestles down to his opponents level - or keeps those matches far too close for comfort.  Mid-AA to 0-2 at NCAAs.

- Arnold hasn't really blown the socks off at any weight above 174lbs.  Been good, just not great.  He won't be doing so when increasing his weight for College either.  He is built for 174.  If Assad gets injured we could see him, but I doubt it.  Assad should be the guy.  I see a Mid-AA type performance possible, but he can never put it all together.  0-2 at NCAAs is more likely than Mid-AA, but I do think he gets to the R12 this year.  Can he win there?  Not sure.

- Focus isn't wrestling 197 for Iowa.  Ever.  If he does wrestle for Iowa it will be after Cassioppi is gone at 285.  I am not sure, but Focus might just be eligible for an ORS?  Glazier and Franklin will both struggle to even get to 0.500.  This might be the only weight they don't qualify

- He is a contender for next season's title, so long as Steveson doesn't come back (somehow?).  I don't see the gap there with Kerk, and with how little it looked like Kerk wanted that Natty Title, I think Cassioppi is on the up.  I think his peak is a title and his valley is 3rd or 4th, depending on the draw/day.

My takes on your OP in BOLD UNDERLINE.

My opinion is that their peak performance team would be Brands dropping to 157 and Arnold at 174.  Chittum just has not impressed in a couple of years.  He reminds me of a smaller version of Taylor Massa.  He dominated so easily for so long until he got big and ran in to some other strong kids who also were good.

I am okay being wrong.  I do think that the better Iowa is, the better the state of wrestling in the USofA.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 minutes ago, Gus said:

Don't tell that to @PortaJohn, who is convinced AJ was a small 197

5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

You AJ fanboys are relentless

He is upwards over 230 right now.  You think he wants to shrink back down to 197 and risk lowering his deadlift?

Just now, nhs67 said:

He is upwards over 230 right now.  You think he wants to shrink back down to 197 and risk lowering his deadlift?

I've seen the videos.  He's put on a lot of weight.  But he's not a big human being.  He's shorter than Gable Steveson who's barely 6 feet.  And Ferrari has short arms.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Just now, PortaJohn said:

I've seen the videos.  He's put on a lot of weight.  But he's not a big human being.  He's shorter than Gable Steveson who's barely 6 feet.  And Ferrari has short arms.  

Amine, who was heavier than Truax at NCAAs, was dwarfed by him.  He also was considerably larger than Nino.  He was not small at 197.  I think you are grossly overestimating most 197lbers actual sizes.

4 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I thought Ferrari had long arms?  Most good deadlifters do, although I have difficulty using the term "deadlift" with someone who uses straps.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Amine, who was heavier than Truax at NCAAs, was dwarfed by him.  He also was considerably larger than Nino.  He was not small at 197.  I think you are grossly overestimating most 197lbers actual sizes.

I stand by my original statement.  Ferrari was not a big 197 pounder.  Average size.  Sure.  I'll agree

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

I stand by my original statement.  Ferrari was not a big 197 pounder.  Average size.  Sure.  I'll agree

Who has been larger since or during his NCAA title?  Name a single NCAA wrestler that has wrestled 197 that is larger during the last three years.

The only person that I can think of that made him look 'average' was when he wrestled 97 KG against Honis.  And he still wasn't small compared to Honis.  Honis (who makes Snyder look small) was just simply a full-sized 97 KG (16lbs heavier) guy.

Edited by nhs67

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I thought Ferrari had long arms?  Most good deadlifters do, although I have difficulty using the term "deadlift" with someone who uses straps.

AJ "claims" he's 6 feet (but is somehow shorter than Gable Steveson) and has an 80 inch wingspan.