Iowa 2024

BlacknGold

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

80" would be extremely long.  I just looked at some pictures, and his arms do look on the longer side.

Always thought his deadlift strength came from his hamstrings and back.  Which are stout.  But I'm not a deadlift expert

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

Always thought his deadlift strength came from his hamstrings and back.  Which are stout.  But I'm not a deadlift expert

Long arms mean that you don't have to lift the weight as far off the ground, generally making a lift "easier" due to the decreased ROM. (all other things being equal).  

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

46 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

My takes on your OP in BOLD UNDERLINE.

My opinion is that their peak performance team would be Brands dropping to 157 and Arnold at 174.  Chittum just has not impressed in a couple of years.  He reminds me of a smaller version of Taylor Massa.  He dominated so easily for so long until he got big and ran in to some other strong kids who also were good.

I am okay being wrong.  I do think that the better Iowa is, the better the state of wrestling in the USofA.

Arnold can go either weight, better at 174 though. Not worried about Chittum. Only hole is 197, if at all. Ferrari can go 197 if he gets back in ncaa. I'm not convinced he is a true heavyweight and got too big for 197, but obviously there are more complicating issues here than his weight... Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these guys redshirt for seniors like Teske/Assad, but would you see this at PSU? Just asking. Seems like over there it's best man up, regardless of anything else, so maybe Iowa needs to implement a similar attitude. If Teske/Assad win their weight class that's great but nothing should be handed to them

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Just asking. Seems like over there it's best man up, regardless of anything else, so maybe Iowa needs to implement a similar attitude.

There is reason for this.

The best man up is a national title contender, that is why.

At Iowa?  Neither of the weights you mentioned have high contender probabilities.  R12 aspirations instead of R16 aspirations would not be a reason.

You bet your ass, though, that if Franklin were to cement himself as the starter and Focus was able to transfer in 2nd semester that Focus would then get the nod.  That is a mighty hypocritical philosophical take.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

37 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Long arms mean that you don't have to lift the weight as far off the ground, generally making a lift "easier" due to the decreased ROM. (all other things being equal).  

Is that why Sean Sherk could only dead lift 135lbs RAW?

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

AJ "claims" he's 6 feet (but is somehow shorter than Gable Steveson) and has an 80 inch wingspan.  

GSP is 5'10" with a 78" wingspan.  It is a reason he was uber successful.  Jon Jones is 6'4" with a 84" wingspan.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

80" would be extremely long.  I just looked at some pictures, and his arms do look on the longer side.

He is no Sean Sherk, fosho.

42 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Valid.

Still awaiting your proof by example, btw.

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

More of a deaddump type of guy? 

14 hours ago, BlacknGold said:

Early prediction: Kale Peterson and Gabe Arnold make the lineup. Arnold goes 174/184, Nelson Brands/Abe Assad take remaining weight class. AJ Ferrari gets 2nd chance. 

125- Drake Ayala (RSSO)
133- Kale Peterson (FR)/ Brody Teske (SR)
141- Real Woods (SR)
149- Coby Siebrecht (JR)/ Caleb Rathjen (SO)
157- Cody Chittum (FR)
165- Pat Kennedy (SO)
174- Nelson Brands (SR)
184- Gabe Arnold (FR)/ Abe Assad (SR)
197- AJ Ferrari* (SO)/ Zach Glazier (JR)/ Kolby Franklin (RSFR)
285- Anthony Cassioppi (SR)

Looks good. I'm high on the lightweights and think Woods will win a title, Ayala will be an upper AA, and Teskee AA, despite the doubters. Siebrecht will be much more effective back at 149 and can AA. Arnold should RS or go 174. Tough squad.

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Going to finish this discussion with my one no proof provided Cinnabon gift card.  

Shit.

I concede.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Shit.

I concede.

Can I make it up by starting a Spencer Lee thread on the college forum about his performance at the US Open and on his future in International wrestling?

6 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Looks good. I'm high on the lightweights and think Woods will win a title, Ayala will be an upper AA, and Teskee AA, despite the doubters. Siebrecht will be much more effective back at 149 and can AA. Arnold should RS or go 174. Tough squad.

I think Ayala could win it all, honestly.

I think Arnold absolutely could contend for AA at 174, but peak is in the 5-8 range, depending on draw (and injuries I suppose).  He could also go 0-2.  At 184 I just don't think he is grown enough for it, yet.

Teske could AA and I wouldn't be surprised.  It would be very draw dependent, though.  There are a lot of solid guys coming back next year.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

Just now, PortaJohn said:

Can I make it up by starting a Spencer Lee thread on the college forum about his performance at the US Open and on his future in International wrestling?

I think it is a requirement at this point.

Please do.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

More of a deaddump type of guy? 

51 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I get livedumps

I give massive dumps the day after meatloaf night.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I give massive dumps the day after meatloaf night.

DUMP MEATLOAF

In bowl add:
2 lbs. ground beef

1 1/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
Salt, pepper to taste
1/2 can of Hunt’s Meatloaf Sauce

Mix all ingredients in bowl and mold into rectangle. Cook for one hour in oven at 400° . Remove from oven and remove all grease. Pour remaining sauce on top and put back in oven for 10 minutes. Remove, slice, and serve.

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think Ayala could win it all, honestly.

I think Arnold absolutely could contend for AA at 174, but peak is in the 5-8 range, depending on draw (and injuries I suppose).  He could also go 0-2.  At 184 I just don't think he is grown enough for it, yet.

Teske could AA and I wouldn't be surprised.  It would be very draw dependent, though.  There are a lot of solid guys coming back next year.

I think Arnold's build is suited best at 174. He is pretty short and stocky, built like a tank. He has a skill set to beat everyone at 174 not named Starocci right out of the gate in my opinion.

Edited by Gus
misspell
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Short legs     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

49 minutes ago, Gus said:

I think Arnold's build is suited best at 174. He is pretty short and stocky, built like a tank. He has a skill set to beat everyone at 174 not named Starocci right out of the gate in my opinion.

Agree, don't see any reason for him to redshirt unless it's to be a nice teammate to a senior