Iowa 2024

BlacknGold

Brands typically redshirts his true freshman unless they are title contenders.   I agree Arnold and Peterson look ready to compete, not sure they are true title contenders, yet.   Without a realistic chance at the team title, I would guess they redshirt and let their respective weights clear out this year. 

8 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Brands typically redshirts his true freshman unless they are title contenders.   I agree Arnold and Peterson look ready to compete, not sure they are true title contenders, yet.   Without a realistic chance at the team title, I would guess they redshirt and let their respective weights clear out this year. 

Makes a lot sense. Assad can be good if he puts on more size. Teske draws concern, don't think he had a victory over a top 12 opponent in all of last season, and he skipped the US Open, while Schriever showed up and went 3-2 

15 hours ago, Dogbone said:

I like Peterson and think he could be good after a few years in the Iowa room. He is certainly much better in freestyle than in folkstyle at this point in time. He did not win folkstyle nationals a few weeks back losing to a solid, but not top tier, kid from Montana Teegan Vasquez. 

7 hours ago, BlacknGold said:

Makes a lot sense. Assad can be good if he puts on more size. Teske draws concern, don't think he had a victory over a top 12 opponent in all of last season, and he skipped the US Open, while Schriever showed up and went 3-2 

Assad doesn't need more size, he is a good sized 184. He needs to learn how to finish his single leg. He can get in on anyone but cannot take down AA level guys. See his match with Marcus Coleman for reference.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Gus said:

Assad doesn't need more size, he is a good sized 184. He needs to learn how to finish his single leg. He can get in on anyone but cannot take down AA level guys. See his match with Marcus Coleman for reference.

Assad looks small at 184. 

On 5/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I thought Ferrari had long arms?  Most good deadlifters do, although I have difficulty using the term "deadlift" with someone who uses straps.

What is his DL? It must be impressive to have wrestling people talking about it.  

• Haha 1

That Tweet is from March, fwiw.  That wasn't a new Tweet.

I put him in the same sort of boat as Parrisdaddy, for obviously different reasons (legalities VS fiscalities).  If I see him step on the mat at NCAAs, I will believe he is competing there.

Obviously we will know if Parrisdaddy is competing at NCAAs because we will have seen him at B1Gs.  That is no guarantee with Focus.  He could do something stupid and get himself arrested in between B1Gs (assuming he goes to Iowa) and NCAAs.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

39 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That Tweet is from March, fwiw.  That wasn't a new Tweet.

I put him in the same sort of boat as Parrisdaddy, for obviously different reasons (legalities VS fiscalities).  If I see him step on the mat at NCAAs, I will believe he is competing there.

Obviously we will know if Parrisdaddy is competing at NCAAs because we will have seen him at B1Gs.  That is no guarantee with Focus.  He could do something stupid and get himself arrested in between B1Gs (assuming he goes to Iowa) and NCAAs.

Now I will make a prediction.

He WILL do something stupid and maybe get himself arrested.

But I also think that is his morning mantra.

• Fire 1

I’m intrigued how the Hawkeyes handle the middle weights with Chittum, Ferrari, Cobe, and Kennedy. 

Maybe it can look like this 

-   157 - Chittum, Ferrari (Redshirt) 

-   165 - Kennedy

-   174 - Brands, Arnold (RS, GS, or OlympicShirt if he makes team and medals)

-   157 - Ferrari, Chittum (Redshirt) 

-   165 - Kennedy

-   174 - Arnold 

-   157 - Chittum

-   165 - Kennedy / Ferrari 

-   174 - Arnold (or uses his RS if he uses and qualifies for OLYRS) / Kennedy 

Of course the coaches can be smart and choose how they handle the redshirts and maybe have Ferrari go first then have Chittum the rest of the 4 years. If they use the shirts wisely at worst Ferrari would just have to sit 1 year behind Kennedy, unless Arnold does that route of using a gray shirt or Olympic shirt and using the RS down the line (which I kinda don’t see happening but we’ll see 🤷‍♂️). No matter what we have a good problem! 

@Laxhawk174, @BlacknGold