Where should nationals be held?

St. Louis has done a good job. Philly is looing for its second try. Where should it be held to get the most out of it as far as participation and exposure? Florida, Texas? Could help to grow the sport. Chicago or DC? Seems like if we pulled if off in NYC, there really is no city that is off limits. California? Should we be worried about the lack of teams at major universities? Seems like a bellwether that deserves more attention. 

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I imagine big cities to big cities have the cheapest flights, but the priciest hotels and vice versa. Where would the sweet spot be?

Kansas City should be a great spot. Nashville would be an excellent choice as well in my opinion.

• Fire 1

NCAA tournament time is Spring Break season. It needs to avoid the warmer climates such as Phoenix because it will be really expensive. Charlotte is a reasonable location as would be Raleigh, and even Atlanta could be OK as that isn't a Spring Break destination.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

NCAA tournament time is Spring Break season. It needs to avoid the warmer climates such as Phoenix because it will be really expensive. Charlotte is a reasonable location as would be Raleigh, and even Atlanta could be OK as that isn't a Spring Break destination.

Good point. 

If the season gets adjusted to be later in the spring, where more of the country would be milder in temperature and the break is no longer a factor, the possibilities could be fun. I liked the idea of a football dome. Soldier Field would be fantastic if the plan they have comes to fruition. Seattle could be fun or Denver! 

Hutchinson Kansas cause they've held the NJCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championships there for decades so they must know what they are doing.  But mainly cause I'm tired of hearing folks complain about Tulsa.  😉

It would be nice to see it somewhere new and fresh.  I'd love to see it in the Carolinas/Atlanta/Vegas/Phoenix.

The tourney does run into spring break.  It would be nice to be at a location or area that you could stick around after the tourney and stay for the week for spring break.

3 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

It would be nice to see it somewhere new and fresh.  I'd love to see it in the Carolinas/Atlanta/Vegas/Phoenix.

The tourney does run into spring break.  It would be nice to be at a location or area that you could stick around after the tourney and stay for the week for spring break.

Is there a place we can hold it where Cael and Penn St will be unable to find?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Washington D.C. Capitol One Arena.

It's a natural for Nationals.

American University and University of Maryland could co-host.

Plenty to do.  Plenty of hotels.  Transportation by Metro all around, including from Reagon National.  Two other nearby airports (Thurgood Marshall and Dulles).

Pretty much a no brainer.

• Fire 1

Mid-sized convention cities should be the primary discussion. Close to an airport, abundance of hotels within 15 minutes walking distance to the venue, nightlife, etc. I have travelled extensively throughout my career and here are some off the top of my head that would be great sites that can either check every box, or make up for a missing box by over-excelling in other areas.

Kansas City, MO, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Nashville, Boston, Philadelphia, Columbus, Phoenix, St. Louis, Detroit, DFW, (Arlington/Jerry-world would be too big but Dallas proper could do this). Atlanta and Nashville could really awaken Georgia and Tennessee wrestling over the long-term via youth-friendly exposure.

Of course there is the big boy that offers something for everyone, except the long flights and costs that could add up real quick: Vegas baby!

Chicago is spread too far apart in the distance delta of airport-venue-hotels-nightlife (you either do McCormick with only one train and absolutely not built for a mass exit, or you do the burbs which is an even worse choice). NYC is fun but too expensive for families and can quickly become a logistics nightmare for the uninitiated. Providence is too small at 14k capacity but would otherwise be a good choice for NCAAs.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

35 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Washington D.C. Capitol One Arena.

It's a natural for Nationals.

American University and University of Maryland could co-host.

Plenty to do.  Plenty of hotels.  Transportation by Metro all around, including from Reagon National.  Two other nearby airports (Thurgood Marshall and Dulles).

Pretty much a no brainer.

Except the trains stop before the end of Nats, Caps, and Wizards games so I imagine the same would occur for NCAA attendees.

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I imagine big cities to big cities have the cheapest flights, but the priciest hotels and vice versa. Where would the sweet spot be?

Cities with direct flights are also good. Connections and layovers have been getting worse each year with all the bad weather (even in March) and delays and cancellations. Larger commute-in cities probably have better roads getting in and out of the area for those driving in.

All ya'll complaining about Tulsa still obviously went to Tulsa for the wrong reasons.

I spent 4/3ths of it fitshaced and even I enjoyed every aspect of it... especially the sprinkle that was Parris demoralizing Kerkvliet.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me