Best and Worst Wrestler Interviewees

SocraTease

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The thing you haters don't understand is that Lee made ZERO excuses. 

I am not a Spencer hater.

Everyone knows Spencer is not 100% healthy when 100% healthy is compared with a Spencer pre-shoulder and multiple knee injuries.

Nobody really knows whether Spencer is 100% healthy compared to what the best version of any future Spencer may ultimately become.

The Iowa Hawkeyes seem to have a culture/tradition of figuring a way to compete through not being 100%.  Terry Brands did as mentored by Dan Gable, who successfully did before him.  Cory Clark did successfully as mentored by Terry Brands.  Kemerer and Eierman were less successful.  Spencer, himself, has had mixed success.

I would say Spencer dropping out of the NCAA wrestlebacks and the US Open pre-semifinals are simply part of him and his coaches exploring how best to wrestle given his current (and perhaps likely future) state of health.  It's part of his plan to figure a way to compete in hopes of achieving his ultimate goal--Olympic Gold.

This does not seem to be an excuse, but rather reality.  If it were simply explained by Spencer this way, I think he could be better off.  Alternatively, when an interview is given he could simply state, "I believe most people appreciate my present situation, and I won't be publicly speaking about my health for the foreseeable future."

I think more 'haters' object to: 1) the general talk about not being 100% healthy without specifics about how this led to his US Open withdrawal; and 2) having his father present a similar general message, over the fact that he dropped out of both tournaments.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Is there any wrestler who gives worse interviews after a match than Aaron Brooks?

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/10272040-2023-us-open-wrestling-championships/videos?playing=10925482&limit=60

Every answer is a three letter word beginning with a G and ending with a D.

Actually, sometimes it's a four letter answer: begins with L and ends with a D.

(This is an easy Wordle game for the day)

If Brooks arguably gives the worst interview after a match, who gives the best?  Most insightful? Or humorous? Or provocative? Or candid?

Hmm. Maybe there are worse interviewees (who are the candidates?); it's just that Brooks' remarks are boring and predictable ... except perhaps when he decides to engage in dogmatic theology about other religions.   (I sometimes wish a wrestler would come off the mat and say something like "I don't thank God for this victory.  I thank my parent's genes" Or maybe even the referee if they got bailed out ... or something of the sort.

(Brooks is a great wrestler and I enjoy watching him. And  his is probably a very good person off the mat.  I just find his interview responses to be vapid.  I wish he would speak more about wrestling itself.)

Starocci gives the best and worst interview in the same interview. Equal parts cringe and can’t take your eyes away.

His interview after winning NCAAs when someone asked him about meeting Trump.

“That’s pretty cool,” Starocci said. “I like watching his interviews because he’s a big personality. He has a set of big balls.”

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2023/03/pretty-big-being-with-him-psus-carter-starocci-meets-with-former-president-donald-trump-after-national-title/

I'm waiting for an interviewer to start an interview with Aaron Brooks with "Apart from God, how'd you manage to [insert key match move]?"  There's got to be SOME way to get him out of that spiel.  But at least he didn't diss Islam again.  

But yeah, Gilman is the clear overall winner here, while single-interview honors go to Sammy Brooks and his sublime mullet.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jchapman said:

He's from Oak Park, which is absolutely not anywhere near the boonies.  Unless the definition of boonies means an affluent community containing 25 Frank Lloyd Wright houses.

Out of curiosity I went to the Oak Park wiki.  For a town that size, there are an insane number of notable people associated with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Oak_Park,_Illinois

1 hour ago, stealyphil223 said:

They are asking because OPRF has produced the likes of Kamal Bey, Ellis and Lil-lashawn Coleman, Davonte Mahomes and isiah white. 

No, because I heard a few interviews with Mike Powell talking about the students that he had teaching at the school. (Wrestling Changed My Life)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

14 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Isn't Brooks from Chicago?  I mean, actual Chicago or a nearby suburb?

Me: I’m from Chicago, too. 😃

You: Oh yeah? Where in Chicago? 🤔

Me: Well, a suburb.. to the north. 😕

You: Which one? 😒

Me: … Milwaukee. 😔

You: 😑

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Let us know how it goes. 

Had a great day today ionel. Started with a ~20 min dynamic warmup.

DB Split Squats 3 x 8 each side

DB Bench 3 x 8

DB bent over rows 3 x 8 each side

DB bent over reverse Flies 3 x 10

DB Superset Calf Raises 2x15 + French Press 2x10

Then moved on to some killer core - Hollow body holds, planks, L sits, various other ab burning exercises

Finally finished with some static stretching, then repeated many of the stretches with resistance bands for stretching/strengthening in lengthened positions. 

These old man joints are starting to feel young again. (Will be 29 this Winter). Thank you for humoring me 🤓