Any day now we should reach the critical mass of gun ownership by "law-abiding citizens" where we become safe

8 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Should the federal and state governments remain unable to prevent acts like McVeigh's prior to the actual detonation?

It goes to intent.

You really should educate yourself to all the efforts that federal and state governments have made to prevent another similar event.  

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

That's a 'no' then?

Answer my question so I can help your understanding.  I don't know what's so hard to understand about my position, other than it's not what you want to hear. 

Maybe I should ask you what part of the constitution you would like to see violated. 

Edited by El Luchador

1 minute ago, Offthemat said:

You really should educate yourself to all the efforts that federal and state governments have made to prevent another similar event.  

That wasn't the question.

We're talking about regulation of weapons, right?

Should the federal/state governments be able to step in prior to 'the act' as you put it?

Just now, Offthemat said:

Do they or don’t they?

*Should* is the operative word.

If these weapons *shouldn't* be regulated because anyone can make them from their precursor components, as you two seem to be implying, then when *should* law enforcement be able to step in?

2 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

If these weapons *shouldn't* be regulated because anyone can make them from their precursor components, as you two seem to be implying, then when *should* law enforcement be able to step in?

When do they?

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

When they can do so without violation of the constitution, without passing useless laws that do more harm than good, and without total authoritarian government intrusions. You could outlaw fertilizer,  but fertilizer feeds the world and the terrorists would just use an alternative method. 

Just now, El Luchador said:

When they can do so without violation of the constitution, without passing useless laws that do more harm than good, and without total authoritarian government intrusions. You could outlaw fertilizer,  but fertilizer feeds the world and the terrorists would just use an alternative method. 

If someone makes an ammonium nitrate bomb, should that be illegal?

Just now, Offthemat said:

You can’t answer because nobody told you and you’ve been less aggressive at finding out for yourself than inquiring others to tell you.  Right?

I'm attempting, and failing, to find out where you stand?

Just state your opinion directly.

6 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

If someone makes an ammonium nitrate bomb, should that be illegal?

If I said no, how would you enforce it? The truth is you can't  and any attempt to  do so would only harm people with legitimate use of fertilizer, and prevent zero acts of terror.