Pan Am selection?!?!

4 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

Nice that we send a strong team. In some sports the all the major stars ignore competitions like this.

Agreed.

In actuality until not very long ago we weren't allowed to send 'professionals' to events like these.  It was why we would send college stars for basketball, baseball, etc.

Untitled.png.b445674eab5d894a7e3dbfb5e0743772.png

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

To be clear, I am not deviating from the initial notion.  The 'C' word just isn't accepted as politically correct in these parts.  A bit vulgar for the small ears - I get it.

The OP guy has a twisted mentality of success with an obviously biased grudge and no care towards the actual success of USA Wrestling insofar as results given.  9 golds and one bronze.

I should have called him a mushy turdbiscuit.

I will grow from this.

No biased grudge at all.     Since this meet really didn't do anything other than provide some international competition for the senior athletes as they prepare for the worlds, I just don't agree with sending a wrestler that I don't see as viable world team member  in either the short or long term 

3 hours ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

No biased grudge at all.     Since this meet really didn't do anything other than provide some international competition for the senior athletes as they prepare for the worlds, I just don't agree with sending a wrestler that I don't see as viable world team member  in either the short or long term 

Okay.

Who did you want to go instead of who we sent?

To be clear, all we had to do to qualify for Worlds was weigh in at each weight.

Also keep in mind that this was an extremely fast turnaround for the gents not sitting out to Final X already.  Legit next morning on a flight out to an entirely different continent.

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Mason.

At 125 KG?

Because there is an actual procedure, he would have been asked after Dom.  Parris was not on the National Team last year.  Dom was.

Would I have preferred to see Parris?  Yes.  Do I understand he had a chance to earn the chance to go and chose not to attempt it?  Also yes.

• Fire 2

On 5/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, Alces Alces Gigas said:

I'm glad nobody who decides cares what you think.

This event was also an event that helps athletes who do actually represent the U.S. at the Worlds seeding points. So while Mark Hall and Dom Bradley aren't in Final X, those who are in line to make the squad did actually earn points they'll need to get separated in the bracket. 

AND if you're on the National Team, that's one benefit you get. What's the point of earning a spot on the national team if the staff is just going to send someone who didn't earn their place on the ladder. 

Blergh. 

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

This event was also an event that helps athletes who do actually represent the U.S. at the Worlds seeding points. So while Mark Hall and Dom Bradley aren't in Final X, those who are in line to make the squad did actually earn points they'll need to get separated in the bracket. 

AND if you're on the National Team, that's one benefit you get. What's the point of earning a spot on the national team if the staff is just going to send someone who didn't earn their place on the ladder. 

Blergh. 

I thought it was strictly individual points earned after the most recent rule changes? Not complaining in the slightest if I’m wrong though!

i am an idiot on the internet

On 5/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, bnwtwg said:

Look, I’ve played rugby with the best of them. But here in the States that word doesn’t fly. You’re better than this and the fact that I of all people has to say that should speak volumes. Once every five-ten years is more than enough, but at least 3x in a week or two? Be better than that. I already REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED ZAHID REDACTED STATE-WEIGHTCLASS REDACTED and then edited + requested hide because I wrote some crappy shit. Be better than me, and be better than that word. It’s not ours to own.

tissue?

• Fire 1

so...

found out yesterday that my oldest turned down his spot on the U20 pan am team this year...

only reason i knew is that a friend posted on the facetubes that his kid would be going to pan ams... another friend hit me up and asked if my kid was going...

i told him i thought so but just saw the same post...

texted the boy...

you not going to pan ams?

why?

his response...

"because i do not want to"

holding others to your own thoughts and/or preferences will always leave you frustrated and empty feeling...

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, LJB said:

so...

found out yesterday that my oldest turned down his spot on the U20 pan am team this year...

only reason i knew is that a friend posted on the facetubes that his kid would be going to pan ams... another friend hit me up and asked if my kid was going...

i told him i thought so but just saw the same post...

texted the boy...

you not going to pan ams?

why?

his response...

"because i do not want to"

holding others to your own thoughts and/or preferences will always leave you frustrated and empty feeling...

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Oof. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Oof. 

well...

my initial reaction was surprise... he kinda pooed the bed there last year and took bronze... figured he would want to get his money back...

add in the family "drama" with weights and trying to separate the boys this year for Max's last run at juniors...

otto up a weight trying to put both on the U20 team, but, clearly not a 63kg...

had asked max if otto went 60kg for U23 and won would he let him have the spot?

no... i want all the medal opportunities i can get...

again...

trying to hold others to your own preferences will never work out for anyone in anything...

which was the point of the story for those shocked by an athlete with an opportunity they never had turning it down...

In the end it is his decision and he will have to live with it.   Maybe it was a good decision.  Maybe he would have been terribly injured.  One can't know.  As long as he is happy with the decision, that is what matters. 

mspart