Should Tom Brands Be Fired?

PortaJohn

I know this is a thread to troll, but I cannot help but think there is going to be a big shift in head coaches in the next 5-10 years. It seems as though John Smith is on the last leg of his coaching career, Some Hawkeye fans want Tom out now and Bono has not seemed to be a fan favorite. This is all speculation and an outsider looking in but I think it will be interesting to see who the next big coaches will be for the more historic programs.

16 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Yes he should and then hire Ben and Max Askren to take down the evil empire in Penn State 

I'm fine with that.  Sounds like a plan.  Have fun!  🙂

7 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

I know this is a thread to troll, but I cannot help but think there is going to be a big shift in head coaches in the next 5-10 years. It seems as though John Smith is on the last leg of his coaching career, Some Hawkeye fans want Tom out now and Bono has not seemed to be a fan favorite. This is all speculation and an outsider looking in but I think it will be interesting to see who the next big coaches will be for the more historic programs.

OSU fans have wanted to get rid of Tom Ryan for a few years now.  Fans are assholes...

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

OSU fans have wanted to get rid of Tom Ryan for a few years now.  Fans are assholes...

Tom Ryan is interesting in the fact he seems to excel in recruiting but his ability to develop talent has been questioned. I imagine when he leaves either Jaggers or Steiber will take over. 

34 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Yes he should and then hire Ben and Max Askren to take down the evil empire in Penn State 

In the last year or so Ben took a talent recruitment position for the Empire

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Just now, MPhillips said:

I don't believe either are an upgrade, seeing how they are the two who are developing the talent...

A lot of talk about DT coaching the Nits after Cael but I've always believed that Ohio State was the one school that could pluck him away from the PSU network

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

These just do not feel like the kind of results to get Brands fired.

image.png.8502646f35d524fdad7b3d4adba7b032.png

It really comes down to expectations though.

• Does Iowa administration expect Gable-like results?
  • Does Iowa administration expect drama free teams?
  • Does the degree of drama in the wrestling program come anywhere near the degree of drama that football and basketball programs typically produce?
  • Do non-revenue sport coaches get more rope than revenue sport coaches?
  • Do things like fund raising that leads to new facilities matter?

My uneducated guesses for answers are "not really", "to some degree", "not even close", "yes - a lot", "yes - a whole lotta lot".

Note: The time range only covers two of Brands' four titles. Going back to 2008 would significantly improve his numbers. Unfortunately I only have complete team scores going to 2010. I think I know where to find earlier scores, though, so stay tuned.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

In the last year or so Ben took a talent recruitment position for the Empire

Well I am thinking with the NIL money he could offer the 3 AWA wrestlers that are at the evil empire, that would be an easy transition to Iowa, if Iowa is looking at getting back to the top I see this as the only option, but I have been wrong once before 

7 hours ago, MPhillips said:

tOSU fans have a reasonable gripe that their HS kids ride the donkey piss out of opponents and know how to get out from bottom real quick, but the premiere college program can do neither at the level expected of that program.

[BNWTWG is not available for questions at this time about Illinois-related anythings]

• Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

@Laxhawk174 I am embarrassed that there was an error in my prior posting that you shared on HR.

I had 2009 in my data twice, once labelled as 2010. Ugly.

Anyway, here is the corrected table. The conclusions remain the same. Brands/Iowa is the clear number two over the time period, but well ahead of third, and certainly not the kind of results that gets a coach fired.

image.png.4431a6a94c45757f091a4468559059e2.png

The average points for Iowa including 2007-2009 becomes 92.0. 2010 was a good year for both Iowa and PSU relative to 2009. 

I will sin with data no more.

• Fire 1