Should Tom Brands Be Fired?

PortaJohn

On 5/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, JVStateChamp said:

Tom Ryan is interesting in the fact he seems to excel in recruiting but his ability to develop talent has been questioned. I imagine when he leaves either Jaggers or Steiber will take over. 

Have a friend who has been real high on Jesse Mendez since beginning of HS (we’re from Indiana but no longer)

Aaanyway, he signed with Ohio State, I said no good dude. No good. Didn’t believe me. 

Just here recently he texted me randomly, “watching Mendez I feel like he’s regressed”. I didn’t say anything. 

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

@Laxhawk174 I am embarrassed that there was an error in my prior posting that you shared on HR.

I had 2009 in my data twice, once labelled as 2010. Ugly.

Anyway, here is the corrected table. The conclusions remain the same. Brands/Iowa is the clear number two over the time period, but well ahead of third, and certainly not the kind of results that gets a coach fired.

image.png.4431a6a94c45757f091a4468559059e2.png

The average points for Iowa including 2007-2009 becomes 92.0. 2010 was a good year for both Iowa and PSU relative to 2009. 

I will sin with data no more.

I love stuff like this, appreciate it! 

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Have a friend who has been real high on Jesse Mendez since beginning of HS (we’re from Indiana but no longer)

Aaanyway, he signed with Ohio State, I said no good dude. No good. Didn’t believe me. 

Just here recently he texted me randomly, “watching Mendez I feel like he’s regressed”. I didn’t say anything. 

Don't read too much into the Kannon Webster loss - he is the real deal and will change the trajectory of Illinois. Mendez will be just fine.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I don’t have high hopes for his development over the next four years. 

Lots of folks share your opinion. I thought he had a good freshman season and he was cutting quite a bit. Looks like we're going to have to wait till after his RS to find out. 

On 5/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, PortaJohn said:

CementMixer...you put one hell of a rumor out there.  It's making the rounds on all the forums.  Either you'll go down as a legend or you're going to have to change your handle...a miss of this magnitude will stick with you.  It'll be JimmyCinnabon/Gobblin bad

We shall see

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

@Laxhawk174 I am embarrassed that there was an error in my prior posting that you shared on HR.

I had 2009 in my data twice, once labelled as 2010. Ugly.

Anyway, here is the corrected table. The conclusions remain the same. Brands/Iowa is the clear number two over the time period, but well ahead of third, and certainly not the kind of results that gets a coach fired.

image.png.4431a6a94c45757f091a4468559059e2.png

The average points for Iowa including 2007-2009 becomes 92.0. 2010 was a good year for both Iowa and PSU relative to 2009. 

I will sin with data no more.

Now do Zalesky over the time he was a coach.

17 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Lots of folks share your opinion. I thought he had a good freshman season and he was cutting quite a bit. Looks like we're going to have to wait till after his RS to find out. 

Started out 15 -2 with losses to Latona and  RBY... wins over Cannon, Byrd, Ragusin, Foley

Went 6-7 down the stretch in Feb/March - Lost to Cannon and Byrd,but  beat Latona. Losses at the NCAA were to two AA - Mcgee 3-2 and Nagao 4-0. His "worst" loss all season was to Cannon. Overall a pretty decent freshman year. 

The results to me show the classic freshman wear down at the end added with weight. I think he will be fine. It's not like his losses were to chumps. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Started out 15 -2 with losses to Latona and  RBY... wins over Cannon, Byrd, Ragusin, Foley

Went 6-7 down the stretch in Feb/March - Lost to Cannon and Byrd,but  beat Latona. Losses at the NCAA were to two AA - Mcgee 3-2 and Nagao 4-0. His "worst" loss all season was to Cannon. Overall a pretty decent freshman year. 

The results to me show the classic freshman wear down at the end added with weight. I think he will be fine. It's not like his losses were to chumps. 

Hopefully he continues to develop and doesn't follow the Kharchla path. I believe he was a top 5 recruit and looks to have just gotten worse, even in freestyle unfortunately. Any idea how Paddy G and the rest are progressing? 

24 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Hopefully he continues to develop and doesn't follow the Kharchla path. I believe he was a top 5 recruit and looks to have just gotten worse, even in freestyle unfortunately. Any idea how Paddy G and the rest are progressing? 

Finishing 6th as a true freshman is now equal to regressing? Man, times have changed

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

46 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Burroughs sucks. 

Definitely did. I also remember thinking after Quentin Wrights freshman year (finished 6th) and Zain Retherford (Finished 5th) how much they sucked also

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted