TampaTiger

2 hours ago, TampaTiger said:

Is there a battle brewing between Harman and Hawks? I want to poll and see who everyone thinks the starter will be. 

I think for the season it will be Harman.

Unless Harman starts struggling by continuously losing to guys he should.be beating or gets hurt, there is no reason to turn to Hawkes.

The caveat there is that Hawkes still has a redshirt to use unless he wants to go.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Does Hawks have a redshirt? I thought he used that last year - he wrestled unattached and early in the season that’s what we were told was the plan. 

And if so, then they could wrestle both of them depending on how they think they would match up. 

I spoke to someone yesterday that mentioned they were sending Harman to ASU and Hawks to the Lindenwood Open. Hawks hasn’t wrestled much outside of teammates since the Mo Valley Open last year, so this was a way to get him several matches before getting him some time in the lineup and seeing where that plays out. 

The backlog at 184 is a good problem to have. 

I think Hawkes and Whiting are the 184lbers for next season w/ Harman at 174 again.  Mocco down to 157 with Jacques gone.

Eh... Not 'think' as much as 'hope' I guess.

Edited by nhs67

Yes, wrestlestat is weird. 

We're friends of the family - the Hawks', so a bit of the information I provided is from them. While more was said, 1 - not my place to share, 2 - sometimes coaches say one thing and then things end up completely different. 

25 minutes ago, Mhlm said:

Yes, wrestlestat is weird. 

We're friends of the family - the Hawks', so a bit of the information I provided is from them. While more was said, 1 - not my place to share, 2 - sometimes coaches say one thing and then things end up completely different. 

I guess I should've clarified - the info I provided was where they were planning on sending each one this week.

• Fire 1

Well Hawkes/Harman - Montalvo lacks a bit of luster after seeing what Saldano did to Montalvo.

If Harman doesn't win comfortably and Hawkes os not on shirt, they should consider him in the lineup.  He is a bit thicker so the brutes won't be as brutalizing.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Tunnel said:

Mocco to 157?!?!  

He would be 165 if O'Toole wasn't there.  O'Toole would have been 157 as a frosh had they not had Jacques there then as well.

Without Jacques there is a hole at 157.  Askren has said multiple times on FRL that Mocco doesn't cut for 174.  That tells me he is close enough that an offseason spent around adjusting down might not just be beneficial for the team but for him.

They don't need him at 174 now.  If he hasn't grown to the weight by now, he isn't going to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, nhs67 said:

I think Hawkes and Whiting are the 184lbers for next season w/ Harman at 174 again.  Mocco down to 157 with Jacques gone.

Zero chance Mocco ever sees 157.  Hell two years ago he was at 165 and O’Toole was 157 for less than a month and both bumped up to where they are now.

Just now, Wrestej said:

Zero chance Mocco ever sees 157.  Hell two years ago he was at 165 and O’Toole was 157 for less than a month and both bumped up to where they are now.

Then maybe they swap?  He just isn't a 174lber.

As I said..  I HOPE it happens, not that I think it will.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, nhs67 said:

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Then maybe they swap?  He just isn't a 174lber.

As I said..  I HOPE it happens, not that I think it will.

I think he has grown into the weight pretty well.  He never looks undersized in comparison to his competition.  I thought he beat Lewis last year but they didn’t award 2 at end of regulation.  Ended up losing in sudden victory.  Tells me he’s right there with the top in the weight class.  He hasn’t seen 157 since 3 years ago and that year ended in November for him, tore up his knee in route to his victory over Carr.  Happened right in front of me.  Felt awful for him but he gutted out the rest of the match and held on to win.  If all goes right at Championships I think he can AA.

I disagree on the size part, but agree on the rest - for the most part.

He looks like he could easily make 165.  Hidlay last year looked thicker than he did, and he was one season removed from 157.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I disagree on the size part, but agree on the rest - for the most part.

He looks like he could easily make 165.  Hidlay last year looked thicker than he did, and he was one season removed from 157.

O’Toole isn’t going down for Mocco to wrestle 165.  No way is Mocco sucking to 157.

4 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

O’Toole isn’t going down for Mocco to wrestle 165.  No way is Mocco sucking to 157.

If you read what I said was that perhaps they swap, then.  Meaning O'Toole going 174.

Unfortunately both are 165lbers.

I maintain my initial statement.  I hope he goes down to 157.  If he can make 165 now, which looks obvious to me - he isn't close to a full 174lber, then an offseason of training and adjusting to get to 157 isn't insane.

I mean... so what?  What does that change about anything I said?  Most of the top 165lbers now would cut to make 174 were they not eating peas and carrots, or whatever Beyonce said.

He won't contend at 174 because the top 174lbers are true 174lbers.  He has the skill to compete with just about anyone, but he won't make it through that slog unscathed.

If he adjusts his diet and starts heading down properly and immediately after the season, he will be right there contending for a NC - at 157lbs - next season.

4 hours ago, Wrestej said:

I get it you would like Mocco to drop.  I would like to win lottery.  Odds are probably similar for both.  

You have absolutely zero data to reinforce that sort of statement.  Now you are just being silly.  Mr. Askren has eluded to it being what he should do several times on FRL over the last couple/few years. 

Are you closer to the situation than him?

Back to the original subject at hand:  If Mocco were to go 157 it would make sense to have Harman go 174 and Whiting and Hawkes battle it out at 184 from next year on.

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You have absolutely zero data to reinforce that sort of statement.  Now you are just being silly.  Mr. Askren has eluded to it being what he should do several times on FRL over the last couple/few years. 

Are you closer to the situation than him?

Back to the original subject at hand:  If Mocco were to go 157 it would make sense to have Harman go 174 and Whiting and Hawkes battle it out at 184 from next year on.

Tell you what the next time I’m there I’ll ask Brian and let you know what he says.  That good for you

50 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

Tell you what the next time I’m there I’ll ask Brian and let you know what he says.  That good for you

Actually yes.  Absolutely.  Please do.

Make sure you emphasize the guy on the BBS never said he thought that was what would happen, just that he hopes it would.  Because Mocco would contend there next season.

13 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Will do

Do you think Whiting or Hawkes will be at 197 for a year after Elam or do you expect Sinclair to step right in after Redshirt?

Also, 157 next year?  You thinking Mauller?

Edited by nhs67

Those are all good questions.  There is some good talent at 157 in the room.  Would like to see how Steed develops, plus Fisher and Gioffre are tough but need to take another step.  Mauller wrestled 157 last year but I thought he was small.  Whiting has great positioning but needs to work on attacks.  Sinclair is a stud but I have not seen him go so I can’t give any thoughts in honesty.  Depends on his transition to the next level.  Cliché I know, but some can make the jump and others it takes awhile.  Hawks I would love see get a shot at 184.  Any of our 184 guys going up by next year are going to be undersized.  More to ask coach, see if he will give any insight.  There’s always a plan but you well know in wrestling lots can happen.  Thinks don’t always shake out how we would like.

• Fire 1

• Latest Rankings

• College Commitments

Logan Paradice

Colquitt County, Georgia
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Northern Iowa
    Projected Weight: 157

Carter Pearson

Southeast Polk, Iowa
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Iowa State