TampaTiger

On 11/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, nhs67 said:

Do you think Whiting or Hawkes will be at 197 for a year after Elam or do you expect Sinclair to step right in after Redshirt?

Also, 157 next year?  You thinking Mauller?

Haven’t had time to swing by and ask coach Smith questions yet, but in the dual against WV Hawks wrestled 197.  Looked undersized and lacked the horsepower needed.

3 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Haven’t had time to swing by and ask coach Smith questions yet, but in the dual against WV Hawks wrestled 197.  Looked undersized and lacked the horsepower needed.

I agree.

Whiting or Hawkes then?  Who do you think for next year?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I agree.

Hawks was definitely undersized - he did weigh in at 184. They bumped him up because 1 - it gave him a match, 2 - Rocky still is not 100%.

Personally, I think Smith has a preference for WI (Askren) guys and he will take Whiting. Hawks should probably be looking at the portal if he wants to be a starter.   

2 hours ago, Mhlm said:

Hawks was definitely undersized - he did weigh in at 184. They bumped him up because 1 - it gave him a match, 2 - Rocky still is not 100%.

Personally, I think Smith has a preference for WI (Askren) guys and he will take Whiting. Hawks should probably be looking at the portal if he wants to be a starter.   

Unfortunately I think your right.  I’m a little biased toward him because he was in the room with my son when they first started wrestling.  I can remember drilling moves and after just messing with the kids, playing, and thinking holy cow this kid is strong for a 5yr old.

4 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

Unfortunately I think your right.  I’m a little biased toward him because he was in the room with my son when they first started wrestling.  I can remember drilling moves and after just messing with the kids, playing, and thinking holy cow this kid is strong for a 5yr old.

I'm guessing you mean Hawks - yeah, we've known the family a long time and I think there is a few things there. I know he has a few surgeries since he senior year. I really thought once he focused solely on wrestling he would make some huge leaps, and those times off the mat have not helped.

I am not sure they "know" him well enough to coach the best out of him. He's always been a pretty stoic kid who was hard to read, but would really dig deep for those he believed had his back. The grass isn't always green elsewhere, but I do know there's been a few coaches asking about him. I'd hate to see him go, especially since he is a Missouri kid. 

• Fire 2

• 8 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, nhs67 said:

I agree.

Sounds like Hawks has the upper hand right now.  Coach Smith answers just about every question this upcoming season in interviews on flo and themat.  Sounds like there are going to be some battles.  Keegan staying at 65.

• Fire 2

On 9/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, Wrestej said:

Sounds like Hawks has the upper hand right now.  Coach Smith answers just about every question this upcoming season in interviews on flo and themat.  Sounds like there are going to be some battles.  Keegan staying at 65.

Well, I admit I am 100% biased and I hope that is true about Hawks. I have enjoyed talking with Whiting, but I have history with Hawks. 

I know there was some talk mid-summer about Mauller wanting to go 57, I hope that does not end up so, that would really throw a wrench in the lineup. I like the plan of Steed at 57. 

• Fire 2

• Latest Rankings

• College Commitments

Logan Paradice

Colquitt County, Georgia
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Northern Iowa
    Projected Weight: 157

Carter Pearson

Southeast Polk, Iowa
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Iowa State