Honest Opinions for 2023-2024 - Your Team Edition

nhs67

I see nominally five qualifiers and two placers.
Hamiti and Amos are the two placers.  Hamiti as a 'should be' 3rd is highly inaccurate.  He is 0-3 against Amine, 0-2 against Griffith, 0-1 against O'Toole, and 0-1 against Carr.  If you are going to say 'should be' then 4th is the highest that he 'should be' come NCAAs since one of Amine or Griffith are going up to 174.
I believe Amos has a peak of mid-AA as well.  I would welcome being surprised.
I don't see how you see a Top 10 finish here with those expectations.

Man, idk about Amos at heavyweight. He’s going to be smaller than most and there’s already 6 returning that I would give him an almost 0% chance of beating (Kerk, Cass, Davison, Schultz, Hendrickson, and Elam) but I struggle seeing him beat the Seth Nevills and Slavikouski’s of the world too. Obviously I’m a little biased against them but I think UW is in for a brutal year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Man, idk about Amos at heavyweight. He’s going to be smaller than most and there’s already 6 returning that I would give him an almost 0% chance of beating (Kerk, Cass, Davison, Schultz, Hendrickson, and Elam) but I struggle seeing him beat the Seth Nevills and Slavikouski’s of the world too. Obviously I’m a little biased against them but I think UW is in for a brutal year.

I also don't know about Amos at HWT.

I believe he should ORS for two reasons: Health and Greco.

It will allow him to grow into 97 KG for Greco to settle around 230 or so and it will allow him to heal up.  Come college season he might be small, still, but his frame is considerably larger than Snyder's was - so I do not think he will be that small.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Don'f forget that Pitzer will be coming off of redshirt as well. Amos seems like a great kid but his best career win is a 2-0 win over Cardenas and then probably a win over Gavin Hoffman or Michial Foy. I am stuggling to see how he is going to go from a top 20 guy at 197 to an AA up a weight.

2 hours ago, ionel said:

In these hear new times saving redshirts ain't a thing, if you are ready then wrestle.  Plus the portal is out there, there more coin out there if you do some improving in the room.  Why invest coach'n and practice partners and such to just have a kid take off for greener mats, if he ready - get him in the lineup.

I hear ya.  It might be prudent to wrestle him right away to get something out of him because history has shown BT has no problem bailing for greener pastures.  He went through three of four high schools so I have no faith he'll stay at OSU for the long haul.

4 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Seltzer I’m most interested in honestly. It’s been awhile, Erneste or McCormick since we’ve had a legit 133. Who do you think takes over 157, Steed? The battle at 184 is the most intriguing to me. As far as OLY RS, I’m not sure if anyone takes one. Who is eligible, KOT,Rocky and Hawks? Not 100% on hawks he was on that U20 team where KOT and Rocky win golds. The recruiting class for this year, i feel is mostly room guys. But the 24 class with Sinclair and Mauger, will probably RS, but I could also see them slide right into starting spots. 

Well I know both Keegan and Rocky have Olympic aspirations.  Mauller and Hawks have also expressed Olympic desire in the past.  184 is a logjam but I like Hawks if healthy and he trust in his ability.  Whiting has great positioning and tough to score on but needed to get offense of his own.  Wrestling in the room everyday could/should have helped him but I don’t know if he has used that time getting efficient from his feet.  Sometimes it’s hard for guys who are not used to getting beat up to continually get it handed to them while trying to learn and resort back to old ways.  Whoever comes out as the starter at 184 will be a handful for most opponents.

• Fire 1

The better weight for Steed is 157 but if Keegan take Olympic then I think he will bump up and Fisher will go 157.  Time will tell.  Not to mention if Keegan does wrestle but bumps to 174.  Now things really get interesting.  Does Mocco call it a career or cut to 165 or Steed/Fisher.  Things have a way of working themselves out.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, ionel said:

OKST:

125: Spratley/Witcraft   Is Spratley ready, can Witcraft make 125 again, I think we see some of both, wouldn't surprise me if it's Witcraft at the end and a R12

133: Fix   Finalist again

141: Alvarez   They wouldn't have brought him in unless can turn him into an AA, correct?

149: Williams  Kid looks great at times, then sometimes makes you wonder, perhaps as full time starter a NQ

157: Mirzo   Yeah my wild pick here.  They had a hole here so why would they bring in Mirzo & Olejnik unless John plans to do a little weight magic and Khayitov down to 57, he prob didn't cut much in juco.  If it happens going out on a limb with R12.

165: Olejnik  Its a tough weight class again but AA.

174: Wittlake (Plott)  I think its a good year to give Plott his RS and Wittlake a chance at a better weight.  AA

184: Thompson/Stika (Wittlake)  If Witt 74 then Thompson 84, can use that RS later, but could be Stika, like 125 & 285 prob see both.  NQ

197: Surber  AA

285: Doucet/Carroll  As with 125 & 184 prob see both guys, betting Carroll at the end.  AA if option C and NQ if option D.

Fixed that for ya. 👍

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Fixed that for ya. 👍

I took so long reading through it and seeing so damn much wrong with it still.

I see what you did there, though...

I’m borrowing a bit from what others (Ugarles et alia) have posted on the Cornell forum (with RED tinted glasses):

125: Brett Ungar was a toenail away from winning his RO12 match this year; I think he makes it to the podium next year.

133: Vito – if he stays on track, he takes it all.  Gotta wonder, though, if he’ll take off for an Olympic year, and if so – who fills in?  Maybe Greg D?.

141: Vince Cornella showed flashes of brilliance this year, but also made some freshman mistakes.  Next year he cleans things up – I expect low to mid level AA

149: It’s hard to say goodby to Yianni – but Meyer Shapiro may make that a little easier.  He’s gonna be pretty good.

157: Cole Handlovic or  Yapoujian?  I’m leaning Handlovic, Yap seems to have struggled with injuries.  Either way, I don’t see a lot of points at NCAAS here.

165: Ramirez – 27-5 this year, with some quality wins, but stumbled a bit at NCAA’s to finish short of the podium.  I expect he’ll AA next year.

174: Foca – Made a big leap this season, 3rd place finish.  I expect a finalist next year, maybe push Starrocci?

184 – Cornell faithful are hoping 2022 AA Jonny Loew is back and up to form next year – if so, another possible AA candidate

197: Jake Cardenas placed 8th in 2023, can he move up a notch or two in 2024?

285: Lewis Fernandes, who we hope stays healthy. Made it to R.O.12 in 2022, but out injured in 2023.  Hoping he can make a comeback along with Jonny Loew.

Cornell finished 3rd at NCAA’s with 5 AAs in 2023.  They return four next season, and potentially can add several more.  If they can stay healthy (I know, the big if for every team!) I think 2024 may be one of Cornell’s best teams ever.

Edited by Red Blades
  • Fire 3

12 minutes ago, Red Blades said:

I’m borrowing a bit from what others (Ugarles et alia) have posted on the Cornell forum (with RED tinted glasses):

125: Brett Ungar was a toenail away from winning his RO12 match this year; I think he makes it to the podium next year.

133: Vito – if he stays on track, he takes it all.  Gotta wonder, though, if he’ll take off for an Olympic year, and if so – who fills in?  Maybe Greg D?.

141: Vince Cornella showed flashes of brilliance this year, but also made some freshman mistakes.  Next year he cleans things up – I expect low to mid level AA

149: It’s hard to say goodby to Yianni – but Meyer Shapiro may make that a little easier.  He’s gonna be pretty good.

157: Cole Handlovic or  Yapoujian?  I’m leaning Handlovic, Yap seems to have struggled with injuries.  Either way, I don’t see a lot of points at NCAAS here.

165: Ramirez – 27-5 this year, with some quality wins, but stumbled a bit at NCAA’s to finish short of the podium.  I expect he’ll AA next year.

174: Foca – Made a big leap this season, 3rd place finish.  I expect a finalist next year, maybe push Starrocci?

184 – Cornell faithful are hoping 2022 AA Jonny Loew is back and up to form next year – if so, another possible AA candidate

197: Jake Cardenas placed 8th in 2023, can he move up a notch or two in 2024?

285: Lewis Fernandes, who we hope stays healthy. Made it to R.O.12 in 2022, but out injured in 2023.  Hoping he can make a comeback along with Jonny Loew.

Cornell finished 3rd at NCAA’s with 5 AAs in 2023.  They return four next season, and potentially can add several more.  If they can stay healthy (I know, the big if for every team!) I think 2024 may be one of Cornell’s best teams ever.

Wow, a very good team. I expect Shapiro to be contending immediately in a weight that isn't particularly deep.

5 hours ago, Wrestej said:

The better weight for Steed is 157 but if Keegan take Olympic then I think he will bump up and Fisher will go 157.  Time will tell.  Not to mention if Keegan does wrestle but bumps to 174.  Now things really get interesting.  Does Mocco call it a career or cut to 165 or Steed/Fisher.  Things have a way of working themselves out.

Mocco is KOT best friend, and they’ve wrestled together since he was young according to Keegan. He’s already forced Mocco to move up once. He initially wrestled off and lost to Jacques at a freshman at 157.  Mocco was at 165 the year prior. After losing he went 165 and Mocco moved up to 174. Doubtful Mocco can make 165 now, and Keegan most likely don’t want to push Mocco out of the lineup his last year. I do think we see KOT move up to 174, but next year at the earliest. 

• Fire 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:07 PM, MPhillips said:

125 - Kilkeary/McCrone - Malik is done and Gonzales is too big according to Tom. McCrone (RSFR) was a 15-4 RS and probably gets to go, at the start anyway. No idea how Kilkeary will do, but he's a quality recruit, three timer out of Latrobe and if he's better we know Ryan will start a freshman. 

133 - Bouzakis/Gonzales - This will be Bouzakis' (RSFR) weight. He was 11-1 as a RS. Beat #6 Biscoglia(UNI) only loss up at 141 to Crook(VT). U20 WT member. AA

141 - Mendez/D'Emilio - It sounds like Mendez is going to RS and junior D'Emilio will be here. Although if Sasso moves up, D'Emilio might follow. I believe the weight cut for both is a struggle. He was 20-14 last season but came on at the end and finished 8th. AA

149 - Sasso/D'Emilio - What Sasso (SR) does here will decide what happens at 141, 149, 157 and impact 165. I believe Sasso can win at 149(no slight to Lovett who returns from RS).  Sammy struggled with the cut early in the season and then looked great when it mattered. He was 29-3. Sasso wins at 149. NC

157 - Sasso/Paddy/Wilcox - If Gallagher (SO) is here I foresee a similar season to last year.  He improved towards the end of the season and if he can finish his shots he'll be in a much better position to win those close matches he lost. He lost ten matches by two points or less. If Sasso moves up, Paddy nor Wilcox (JR) may not have a spot.  R12

165 - Hepner/Paddy - I believe this is Hepner's (RSSO) spot. Had wins over Kharchla (wrestle off) and Amine (I know, I know coming off an injury) last season.  Had some nice wins season before; Mayora, Lamar, Chumbley, Slivka. I like Hepner and I think he surprises a bunch of folks. R12

174 - Kharch - (JR) Weight cut and injuries had Carson hamstrung most of last season. He just wasn't what we expected. I was worried it was HEW and I'm still not 100% convinced. 174 should help make life a bit better for him. Healthy and happy he's back on the podium. AA

184 - Shumate - (RSFR) Seth was a big recruit that many folks have cooled on. He was 12-2 wrestling unattached last season. If Geog stays at 197 I believe this spot belongs to Shumate. NQ

197 - Geog/Hoffman/Stein - Similar to 157/165 someone gets left out. I like Geog (RSFR) and I'm ready to see him as a starter. But there is Hoffman (SR) here as well.  I don't see anyway Stein makes the lineup. Talk of Geog dropping to 184 and Hoffman at 197 seems ideal but I'm pretty certain Geog is too big to go down. NQ

285 - Feldman - (RSFR) Buckeye fans have been waiting for Nick for a long time it seems. Injury and then neck surgery held him out of 2023. He's going to be, "small" for a HVY but he's built like an armoire was an U20 WT member, Jr. Hodge trophy winner, number three overall recruit and number one heavyweight recruit in 2022. I believe he'll adjust okay to big guys while hitting some bumps along the way.  AA

I want to believe OSU will gain the points lost from Smith and Romero and a RS Mendez with Kharch, Bouzakis and Feldman. An AA from D'Emilio and maybe a run from Paddy and/or Geog hopefully get the Buckeyes back on the podium.  

125: I think Kilkeary goes with the strong possibility Davino takes over 125 thereafter, assuming he doesn't get too big. I think 125 is one of the weaker weights next season. Would be happy to see Vinny go 2-2 at NCAA's.

133: Bouzakis as stated above. 5th place. 

141: D'Emilio comes back for 1 final season after achieving AA status. I think he works a bit more on his offense and repeats an 8th place finish next season in a brutal weight.

149: Sasso does it in his final year. NC over SVN.

157: Really pulling for Paddy here. Hoping he finishes more shots next season, can ride guys for more than :10 seconds and make the blood round in March.

165: Hepner. Have seen very little of him but has beaten Kharchla in a wrestle-off and Amine at an open tourney. Give me rd of 12. 

174: Kharchla. Hmmmm how healthy will he be? I don't have high expectations here and this weight may be a little cleared out with Starocci returning and the possibility of Brooks taking a RS. I'm going to go with a 5th place finish. 

184: Hoping Shumate can live up to the huge early hype. He had a pretty good RS season and I'm hoping he works on his offense, similar to Paddy. 2-2 at NCAA's. 

197: Geog has a lot of upside, lets just not talk about his match against Allred last season. I think Geog has a great chance to be a darkhorse AA next season.

Hvy: A healthy Feldman could make some noise despite a strong class that clears out after next season. 5th place finish in his RS FR. season.

I believe the Bucks have a good shot at 3rd place next season, well behind PSU and Mich unfortunately but this team is on the UP. 

Would be interested in posts with inside knowledge/assessment of EIWA teams, including Ivies - other than Cornell which is covered above and frigging scary.   Do not see them getting knocked off the top rung of EIWA teams.

25 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Would be interested in posts with inside knowledge/assessment of EIWA teams, including Ivies - other than Cornell which is covered above and frigging scary.   Do not see them getting knocked off the top rung of EIWA teams.

Cornell returns four AAs, three others who have been R12, and add Meyer Shapiro to replace Yianni.  Possibly as good a result as the rest of the EIWA combined next year.

Shamelessly, randomly, and without comment pulled from the Lehigh forum:

125 Bailey/Seymour Neither will benefit by going up a weightclass. Should be Top 20 either of them. Not AA.

133 Crookham/McGonagle. Loser takes his shot moving up. AA potential.

141 Hines/133 loser and everyone else. Loser moves up to 149 for a shot. AA potential

149 Brignola/141 loser and everyone else. Top 20 potential

157 Wide open. A late grad school addition would be nice. Loser of 149 will bump up. This will be congregation of newbies trying to make lineup. Top 50?

165 Meys and possibly someone beats him. I'm of mindset that a 2x NJ State Champ is likely to have the tools. Pat and coaches have 6 months to refine that. Top 20 potential.

174 Logan until someone convincingly beats him. Lawrence had a decent year behind the scene, but didn't face any highly ranked. Top 40 likey.

184 Was hoping for another grad transfer. Wide open. Given training everyday against Beard there is upside here as year goes on. Top 20 potential.

197 Beard. Hoping he is on fire after way season ended. National Champion contender.

285 Taylor. Has clearly solidified himself and continues to improve. R12 in 2024.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Mocco is KOT best friend, and they’ve wrestled together since he was young according to Keegan. He’s already forced Mocco to move up once. He initially wrestled off and lost to Jacques at a freshman at 157.  Mocco was at 165 the year prior. After losing he went 165 and Mocco moved up to 174. Doubtful Mocco can make 165 now, and Keegan most likely don’t want to push Mocco out of the lineup his last year. I do think we see KOT move up to 174, but next year at the earliest. 

If Keegan goes up you can bet that he and Peyton have already agreed about the moves.  Peyton was one of the factors O’Toole came to Mizzou.  By the way I doubt very seriously that Jacques ever beat O’Toole.  I never seen it if it happened.  The reason Keegan went up was because that was the plan at sometime and it helped the team by getting Jacques in at 157.  Instead of waiting for 1/2 a year or a year they just made the jump then for the betterment of the team, and all the parties involved were capable.

Getting back to Keegan going up I have no idea if that will happen.  Only reason I mention the possibility is because there has been a little talk O’Toole wants to challenge himself.  Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.  Sometimes it’s just smoke.  I don’t donate enough to the program to get all juice.  If I win the lottery Mizzou will be giving PSU a run for their money. 

1 hour ago, RandolphTJones said:

125: I think Kilkeary goes with the strong possibility Davino takes over 125 thereafter, assuming he doesn't get too big. I think 125 is one of the weaker weights next season. Would be happy to see Vinny go 2-2 at NCAA's.

133: Bouzakis as stated above. 5th place. 

141: D'Emilio comes back for 1 final season after achieving AA status. I think he works a bit more on his offense and repeats an 8th place finish next season in a brutal weight.

149: Sasso does it in his final year. NC over SVN.

157: Really pulling for Paddy here. Hoping he finishes more shots next season, can ride guys for more than :10 seconds and make the blood round in March.

165: Hepner. Have seen very little of him but has beaten Kharchla in a wrestle-off and Amine at an open tourney. Give me rd of 12. 

174: Kharchla. Hmmmm how healthy will he be? I don't have high expectations here and this weight may be a little cleared out with Starocci returning and the possibility of Brooks taking a RS. I'm going to go with a 5th place finish. 

184: Hoping Shumate can live up to the huge early hype. He had a pretty good RS season and I'm hoping he works on his offense, similar to Paddy. 2-2 at NCAA's. 

197: Geog has a lot of upside, lets just not talk about his match against Allred last season. I think Geog has a great chance to be a darkhorse AA next season.

Hvy: A healthy Feldman could make some noise despite a strong class that clears out after next season. 5th place finish in his RS FR. season.

I believe the Bucks have a good shot at 3rd place next season, well behind PSU and Mich unfortunately but this team is on the UP. 

I got Sasso vs Shapiro in the finals at 149.

9 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

What's going on with Harman? He has beat some of these guys in wrestle offs and opens but somehow managed to lose the starting job last year... injury? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

26 minutes ago, Gus said:

I got Sasso vs Shapiro in the finals at 149.

Yes, also very likely and I haven't seen Shapiro wrestle much but wouldn't b  shock if he gives Sammy all he could hande.

I think Ohio St loses (Off the top of my head) D'Emilio, Sasso, Kharchla and Hoffman after this season. But I'm very excited for the guys coming in Davino, Welch, Rogotzke, and one to really keep an eye on and maybe @Husker_Ducan back me on this is Ethan Birden. I see him having a lot of upside and being a big contributor after he graduates (2024) 

45 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

If Keegan goes up you can bet that he and Peyton have already agreed about the moves.  Peyton was one of the factors O’Toole came to Mizzou.  By the way I doubt very seriously that Jacques ever beat O’Toole.  I never seen it if it happened.  The reason Keegan went up was because that was the plan at sometime and it helped the team by getting Jacques in at 157.  Instead of waiting for 1/2 a year or a year they just made the jump then for the betterment of the team, and all the parties involved were capable.

Getting back to Keegan going up I have no idea if that will happen.  Only reason I mention the possibility is because there has been a little talk O’Toole wants to challenge himself.  Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.  Sometimes it’s just smoke.  I don’t donate enough to the program to get all juice.  If I win the lottery Mizzou will be giving PSU a run for their money. 

Smith, KOT, and Askren have said that this was the reason he went 165 as a true frosh.  Had Mocco not opted to also go up to 174 KOT would have done a redshirt as a true frosh or had to have gone 174, because he was not going to push his (best) friend up a weight when he didn't want to go.

I want KOT to go 174 this season, FWIW, with Mocco going back down.  I want to see him take out another Natty Champ.

25 minutes ago, Idaho said:

What's going on with Harman? He has beat some of these guys in wrestle offs and opens but somehow managed to lose the starting job last year... injury? 

He lost to guys they beat, more or less.  Also, I think that he is a 174lber naturally so the grind of heavier and stronger guys got to him towards the end of the season.  It isn't like if Salazar at Minny decided to head up to 197... he would still be jacked or if VT's Lewis goes up to 184... he would also be jacked then.  Harman didn't grow in to 184.

• Fire 2