Honest Opinions for 2023-2024 - Your Team Edition

nhs67

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

Amen.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker" . . .  maybe. Or, each successive trauma makes it increasingly difficult to bounce back. Consider how physical injuries breed more injuries. Seems possible that the same could be true of psychological or spiritual or institutional travail. 

Edited by jackwebster

43 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I know, but imagine the seething envy that must consume the 2 -10 coaches.

Seething envy is probably an appropriate word for some.  I don't know if that many coaches would be a proper number.  If the coaches want what is best for their programs as well they should admire and strive to do the same - or better.  I don't know that envy would be a good reasoning or driving factor there.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I felt that Alirez was demonstrably better than all 141 lbers including Woods

Undoubtedly.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I felt that Alirez was demonstrably better than all 141 lbers including Woods

I thought that until NCAA's but then thought it was Woods.  Others may disagree.  Not saying Alirez wasnt very good -he had some great matches. and obviously found a way.  I would take Woods 4 out 5 matches if it could be arranged. 

40 minutes ago, Elevator said:

I thought that until NCAA's but then thought it was Woods.  Others may disagree.  Not saying Alirez wasnt very good -he had some great matches. and obviously found a way.  I would take Woods 4 out 5 matches if it could be arranged. 

I'm curious as to what makes you think Woods would win four out of five against Alirez. Woods is very good, but after rewatching that NCAA match, I don't see anything that makes me think he's winning 80% of the time in that matchup. 

To the larger point about the Iowa lineup, Woods and Cassioppi are the two guys I'm counting as locks for AA. Brands likely gets there again, but I don't think he's a sure thing based on his style and the guys returning at 174. Everything else is a question mark on some level. Talented guys, for sure, but they have their work cut out for them to get on the podium. 

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I could see it shaking out like this:

125: Bailey

133: Crookham

141: McGonagle

149: Hines

157: Brignola

165: Mays or Herceg

174: Logan

184: ??? (Davis, Wilt, transfer portal?)

197: Beard

285: Taylor

I would hope that Chandler Rogers would be the starter at 184 and that he will be pretty competitive as a RS Frosh.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

isn't Yas heads and shoulders above Chlebove? I was halfway expecting Julian in the transfer portal this year.

I was also thinking sort of the same thing.  Chlebove gives me lower tier B12/P12 or MAC/SOCON vibes as someone who might win 30+ matches for them, but will struggle against the elite that are going to hit clean shots and not need to scramble with him.

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

I'm curious as to what makes you think Woods would win four out of five against Alirez. Woods is very good, but after rewatching that NCAA match, I don't see anything that makes me think he's winning 80% of the time in that matchup. 

To the larger point about the Iowa lineup, Woods and Cassioppi are the two guys I'm counting as locks for AA. Brands likely gets there again, but I don't think he's a sure thing based on his style and the guys returning at 174. Everything else is a question mark on some level. Talented guys, for sure, but they have their work cut out for them to get on the podium. 

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I would hope that Chandler Rogers would be the starter at 184 and that he will be pretty competitive as a RS Frosh.

Isn't Chandler Rogers about thirty years old by now?

(assuming you really meant Caden Rogers, of course!)

• Fire 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:26 PM, bnwtwg said:

Why would KOT actively shrink his body to a non-Olympic weight during an Olympic season?

Did you see him wrestle Nolf at the US Open? Think he's beating Dake? I know Keegan wants to be an Olympian, but I don't think this is the cycle where he's doing it.

My post was to generate a discussion on the best team Mizzou could put on the mat. IF KOT was able to get to 157 (6lbs less than he wrestled at the US Open), he could potentially dominate the field and have no challengers on the way to another title. If Mocco could drop as well, it helps the log jam at 184 (somebody said Harman is a 174). The question would be...who is more competitive and can score more team points? Our 157's or 174's.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, Ivan Stankowski said:

Wisconsin, Bono and the Badgers should be top 10 this year 

125 - Barnett 2X AA 

133 - Rivera Should be a Qualifier 

141  Lettini

149 - Zargo  Should AA 

157 - Model Should be a qualifier

165 - Hamiti Should place top 3 

174 - Condon 

184 - Liegel DIII transfer, Huge upside 

197 - Talshahar Big things from him this year 

285 - Amos will move to Heavyweight an AA 

Top 10 is a reach, this is a top ten Big Ten team at best.

Zargo as an AA would be a massive step forward

Has Amos confirmed the move to 285? he once said he was 197 for his career at UW 

Once Hamiti is done, there isn't much to get excited about in Madison 

I was big on the Bono hire when it happened.....I think its time for Mac to make a change, I think it happens in the next 2 years if Bono doesn't take a big step forward 

Alverez would have let him go for 20 plus years, Mac is a former State Champion wrestler that has shown he doesn't accept the status quo (Cryst, Leonhard, Danato) 

37 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

Top 10 is a reach, this is a top ten Big Ten team at best.

Zargo as an AA would be a massive step forward

Has Amos confirmed the move to 285? he once said he was 197 for his career at UW 

Once Hamiti is done, there isn't much to get excited about in Madison 

I was big on the Bono hire when it happened.....I think its time for Mac to make a change, I think it happens in the next 2 years if Bono doesn't take a big step forward 

Alverez would have let him go for 20 plus years, Mac is a former State Champion wrestler that has shown he doesn't accept the status quo (Cryst, Leonhard, Danato) 

Here is my Wisconsin prediction

125: Barnett - 7th/8th

133: Rivera

141: Lettini

149: Zargo - NQ

157: Mechler 

165: Hamiti: 5th/6th

174: Maylor

184: Liegel - Fringe NQ

197: Tal-Shahar - Fringe NQ 

285: Amos: NQ

So that's two AAs, and somewhere between four and six national qualifiers as the roster currently stands.  

Edited by flyingcement

45 minutes ago, ionel said:

Who isn't willing to sacrifice a limb for the sake of the team.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

O'Toole when he has said himself he plans to go 174 after Mocco isn't there anymore.

16 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

“If he’s able” = That’s what I believe?

Fun discussion board.

I believe Dr. @MPhillips thought that was stupid and he just wanted to make sure that is what you were actually saying.

I might be wrong.